Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1249 View Post
boowho

Have you heard anything from FL or anyone else on problem like I said before this has happen to me twice, it comes right back but still this to me is a problem
All FL has done is tell me that unless I can demonstrate the problem to them, then there is nothing they can/will do for me. I'm waiting for another "victim" to let me know what the response is/was to his email to Corporate Legal dept at Daimler.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #42

I'm going out for a week of RV'ing and am armed with a dash cam that will document what happened to me on my last outing. I will be sure to share my findings but hope it never happens again... Wishful thinking I'm afraid. After this week out I'll be better equipped to push for a solution and have better knowledge of it and video!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowles3 View Post
I'm going out for a week of RV'ing and am armed with a dash cam that will document what happened to me on my last outing. I will be sure to share my findings but hope it never happens again... Wishful thinking I'm afraid. After this week out I'll be better equipped to push for a solution and have better knowledge of it and video!
HA!! Wanna know where it could have REALLY been a disaster for me yesterday? That is, losing the power steering.... Utah Hwy 12 south of Torrey, UT.

There's an area along that route about .5 to 1.0 miles long, at which point the road is running along a VERY narrow ridge no more than 50-60 feet wide (in total) on the top, and there are sheer drop-offs (on BOTH sides of the road) for what looks like a 1000 feet or more.

And no guardrails, not that most of them would stop a 33,000 lb coach.

I'm quite used to mountain driving, but that stretch of UT12 was enough to make my A**H*** grab my underwear (extreme pucker factor).

Boowho??
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #44

F'Liner vs Forest River CS

Ok don't get PO'd at me I'm only trying to help. I just spent some time at the FL booth at the FMCA rally. I had a candid talk with a rep and he said flat out no way can both the engine quit and the display go blank at the same time. He did say that the display going blank ways a common problem and that the display is not installed by FL. The display comes in a parts box and is installed by FR. The display is low voltage and for all the Gage's to go off at the same time the problem is in the plug in. He suggested checking all the connections under the dash and if they are good to check under the MH left rear just behind the tires inside the frame is a large bundle that goes into a box check all the connections. Also on the same spot on the outside of the frame check those also.
I'm not saying it didn't happen he said it couldn't happen at the same time. I think it makes since that the to are separate systems. And for both to go bad at the same time would be unusual. He said that the tach dropping to zero would make the driver think the motor stopped. I will post some pictures hope this helps. Remember I'm just reporting and trying to help.
I need a better connection to send pictures so I will send them later.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #45

Phil,
Did he mention anything about a possible problem with the ignition/ignition wiring? If there is a problem there, then it would be like turning the key to the off position- everything would go blank and the engine would stop. Just thinking out loud here.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Ok don't get PO'd at me I'm only trying to help. I just spent some time at the FL booth at the FMCA rally. I had a candid talk with a rep and he said flat out no way can both the engine quit and the display go blank at the same time. He did say that the display going blank ways a common problem and that the display is not installed by FL. The display comes in a parts box and is installed by FR. The display is low voltage and for all the Gage's to go off at the same time the problem is in the plug in. He suggested checking all the connections under the dash and if they are good to check under the MH left rear just behind the tires inside the frame is a large bundle that goes into a box check all the connections. Also on the same spot on the outside of the frame check those also.
I'm not saying it didn't happen he said it couldn't happen at the same time. I think it makes since that the to are separate systems. And for both to go bad at the same time would be unusual. He said that the tach dropping to zero would make the driver think the motor stopped. I will post some pictures hope this helps. Remember I'm just reporting and trying to help.
I need a better connection to send pictures so I will send them later.
Get PO'ed???? NO, just the opposite. Thanks for the info.

At least it's probably from someone who KNOWS; not just guessing.

Boowho??
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Phil,
Did he mention anything about a possible problem with the ignition/ignition wiring? If there is a problem there, then it would be like turning the key to the off position- everything would go blank and the engine would stop. Just thinking out loud here.
Tom
Yeah, my previous posting assumes the guy REALLY knows what he's talking about; not just tossing off the first thing that comes to his mind.

If/when mine does it again, I'm going to be VERY attentive as to what actually happened. For example, did the engine REALLY stop or just the instruments.

One of mine was rolling down the road; the other was sitting still in a parking lot. The first one everything came back by itself. The second one I had to turn the key off, then restart the engine and THEN all the gauges came back to life.

BOTH times the message panel indicated I need to apply the parking brake.

Boowho??
Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #48

The guy I talked to is the same that helped me work through the front axel issue. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402588284.952440.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	55055Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402588305.037699.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	895.5 KB
ID:	55056Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402588317.704368.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	784.6 KB
ID:	55057
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #49

shut down

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
FL could take a lesson from Forest River, IMHO.

Twice in the last few months, my whole computer has shut down whist going down the road at 60 MPH. Speedo, Tach, every gauge goes to zero. Engine stops running as well.

First indication that something is awry, is a beeping and the display says I should apply the parking brake. If I turn off the ignition, wait a few seconds then turn it back on, everything resets and I'm good to go.

Since it's VERY intermittent, I figured I'd give a heads up to FL because it probably wouldn't completely fail until after my warranty runs out in August of this year.

HA!! FL couldn't have been less concerned, telling me that unless I could make it fail in the presense of FL dealership rep before August, it would be tough **** for me. They would not do a thing under warranty.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think they should stand behind the product when something happens very intermittently before warranty expiration (but is definitely a defect), but does not fail "hard" until afterward. I suspect it may be either the computer itself, or a sensor throwing a false alarm somewhere.

Either way, it would be VERY expensive to fix, I'd bet.

Boowho??
Boo
The two times this has happen to me I was driving in the rain, what about
you ?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #50

The one time for me was heavy cross wind...

Tags
forest river