Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

F'Liner vs Forest River CS

FL could take a lesson from Forest River, IMHO.

Twice in the last few months, my whole computer has shut down whist going down the road at 60 MPH. Speedo, Tach, every gauge goes to zero. Engine stops running as well.

First indication that something is awry, is a beeping and the display says I should apply the parking brake. If I turn off the ignition, wait a few seconds then turn it back on, everything resets and I'm good to go.

Since it's VERY intermittent, I figured I'd give a heads up to FL because it probably wouldn't completely fail until after my warranty runs out in August of this year.

HA!! FL couldn't have been less concerned, telling me that unless I could make it fail in the presense of FL dealership rep before August, it would be tough **** for me. They would not do a thing under warranty.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think they should stand behind the product when something happens very intermittently before warranty expiration (but is definitely a defect), but does not fail "hard" until afterward. I suspect it may be either the computer itself, or a sensor throwing a false alarm somewhere.

Either way, it would be VERY expensive to fix, I'd bet.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Hey Boo, do you have to shift to neutral or just turn the key on and off? Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

When I had my '08 Berkshire, there was an issue with the fan hub on the engine that was installed and it had only 4 bolts. The bolts had a tendency to back out which would cause the fan to crash into the radiator and send shrapnel flying and possibly cutting vital lines to the brakes, etc. Since my coach was around 4 years old with way less than 100k miles, I called Freightliner and asked that I wanted they install the new, 5 bolt version under the 5 year warranty. They said that since it was an installed item that is on the engine, it was only covered for 1 year. I complained to them and said that it was a safety issue and if it let go it could cause me to have an accident or possibly another vehicle around me to be hit with any flying debris and would like it repaired before this happened. They said that they would only repair it only after the part failed and if it was less than 5 years. I contacted several government agencies and they contacted Daimler and I finally go the part replaced.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

I've also had the computer turn off while driving in heavy wind. Wow freaked me out. I may install a dash can to catch it if it happens again. It did come back on line by its self and no loss of control of the vehicle, just my bowel! Mine's a 2014 400bh-60.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

I had the same thing happen to me while traveling home this past February. I was also doing about 60-65 and everything shut down for a second and came right back on. I didn't have to do anything but it was very unsettling. Mine is a also a 2014- A Berkshire 390 bh.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #6

And lets see..... The dude that sent me the email, has NO idea that this may be a latent defect of some component. Right!!! Unlike FR, it seems that FL's only reaction is to hide their head in the sand.

I wonder if Forest River would "run interference" for us on this issue, if several of us that have experienced this would mention it to Randy?

FR may be able to apply more pressure (as a HUGE customer of FL) than a little peon like myself.

Boowho??
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

Sent an email to Mitch and randy asking why such a dangerous event could happen and how they are going to fix it. Really is shocking.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcowles3 View Post
Sent an email to Mitch and randy asking why such a dangerous event could happen and how they are going to fix it. Really is shocking.
I will try that after I check other options. My FR warranty is long ago expired..... IMHO, this is a FL issue, and I still have warranty until August. But again, FR may have more influence than I do.

I'm going to talk to the FL shop in Farmington, NM which is only about 50 miles from me. If they think they can diagnose the problem (error code log in the computer or some such) then I'll then I'll run it down there next week.

Boowho??
Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

I"ll update this when I have something...
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
I"ll update this when I have something...
Thanks, I'll be waiting to see if they can maybe improve F'Liner's attitude.

If you need, feel free to tell them that at least one other person (me) has experienced the isssue. Plus, I'll probably contact Randy directly.

Boowho??
Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Thanks, I'll be waiting to see if they can maybe improve F'Liner's attitude.

If you need, feel free to tell them that at least one other person (me) has experienced the isssue. Plus, I'll probably contact Randy directly.

Boowho??
X2!! Same here!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hey I have no fancy motor home but I do have a pontiac solstice that "could" shut off for no reason because of the key falling out of the switch or maybe it wont fall out but the car could still shut off..... AND you know how big a recall that is !

I would get the ball rolling with the NTSB A>S>A>P !
This could be a safety HAZARD !

all it takes is a complaint and then another and then another till that little snowball is the size of well a freight-liner !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

I don't think that the NTSB will get involved until there is an accident of some sort caused by the problem. That is what i was told when I tried going that route when there was an issue with the fan hub falling off the engine because the bolts used to hold it on were too short and not strong enough to withstand the torque.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #14

This is what randy got from freight liner ...

Randy ,
Sounds like the dash lost power or data. Could be a loose connection at the back of the lightbar like the last one we dealt with. The dash not operating will cause nothing detrimental to happen to the coach.

Sincerely,
Steven Horton
FCCC Representative
Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #15

Quote:
This is what randy got from freight liner ...

Randy ,
Sounds like the dash lost power or data. Could be a loose connection at the back of the lightbar like the last one we dealt with. The dash not operating will cause nothing detrimental to happen to the coach.

Sincerely,
Steven Horton
FCCC Representative
Poppycock!!!! When the engine stops mid-trip on the highway, THAT could certainly be detrimental, no? Was Randy aware that your engine had stopped running (if it did)?

I'm taking mine to a FL dealer early next month. Will post any/all info I get then.

Boowho??
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #16

No my engine did not stop...
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #17

I'm not sure if my engine stopped. It happened so quickly and for such a short period of time that I was sort of stunned and didn't notice if the engine stopped. Hopefully it won't happen again but if it does, I will need to be more aware of what is going on at the time of the problem.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

I agree
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #19

I have a 2014 390 Berkshire an this has happen to me twice and I have been told the
same thing. You would think they could plug in to engine and see what is going on, when you are going down the road at 60 or 65 this is no fun.
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1249 View Post
I have a 2014 390 Berkshire an this has happen to me twice and I have been told the
same thing. You would think they could plug in to engine and see what is going on, when you are going down the road at 60 or 65 this is no fun.

Another LA guy, I knew we had a few on the road.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had this happen to me yet and I hope it never does. But it does seem like it's common.

Tags
forest river