Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #21

I don't have much to add except that every "resort" around the Tampa and Venice area we've stayed at for four or fewer days has been sort of like a mobile home park made up of long-term residents in 30-40' TTs, permanently affixed, with carports and/or add-on rooms. Seems like a lot of folks stay up to six months (particularly the Canadians) and many units are vacant the rest of the time. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it's not what I would call resort-type accomodations or camping. We prefer to stay at in FL state parks when we can get a reservation.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #22
Citrus County, Fl.

X2 for Williston Crossings. It is very clean and you are not cramped. Lots of trees for shade too.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #23

SkipnTerri: yes the rate is $1,035 or something like that per month. There is another campground about a mile away called Seminole Campground that seemed okay. I think that was around $800 a month. To me it seemed more like a campground than a resort.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 4.10 gears
2016 Crusader 295RST FW 6 speed automatic
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #24

We visited 8 in the Ft Myers area while staying near Sarasota. All were less, some much less costly but only 1 was found barely acceptable compared to where we stay. Did not find anything near Tampa either. Most, if slides went out on both sides the awning would not get out. Actually, home looked better ~~ so back to where we are happy. Next year we are staying longer on one of the most expensive sites there.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 PM   #25

Has anyone ever stayed at a place called Florida Grande motor coach resort in Webster FL?
Towing a 2014 Ford Fiesta SE
moontrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #26

[QUOTE=djeirlessr;1123375]SkipnTerri: yes the rate is $1,035 or something like that per month. There is another campground about a mile away called Seminole Campground that seemed okay. I think that was around $800 a month. To me it seemed more like a campground than a resort.

Seems to us the campground/resort owners can charge outrageous rates because they have recurring RVers. Many don't pay that much for their mortgage every month! To each his own.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #27

It's called supply & demand. As long as these parks are all full in The winter months we will not see the prices go down.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #28

Exactly -- and it's not just Florida. As long as people are willing to pay, the owners will continue to demand more.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #29

I have found that most of the coastal Florida RV Parks were created in the 60's to 80's, have been designed for RV's without slides (hence 20 ft width) and then have gotten populated with permanent park models, TT's and mobile homes. The coastal area then got swallowed up with suburbia which made real estate scarce and expensive.

There are some gems however and some motor coach resorts (like in the Naples area.

If you are looking for a luxury motorcoach resort, take a look at this...........

The Fountains of St. Augustine - Luxury RV Resort

Hank
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Well, this gives me a couple more to check next year but very happy where we are. Went to Ft Meyers & Bonita Springs last winter and viewed 8 ~~ not one I would move to, only 1 was marginally acceptable. Sites of those we viewed were very tight. With slides on both sides of my 5er it was not going to work. One actually said I'd have to drop the 5er and they would maneuver it in / out with a tractor.
During winter months northern FL is not nearly as expensive as southern FL. The weather at the panhandle is no different than the weather at home.
It depends on the year. This year, we have been very warm with only about 2-3 scattered weeks of "winter." In years past, we have had temps in the 20's consistently. Normally we don't have to use ac until around May....but we've been using it for about 4 weeks now in the afternoons.

I really like Kathyrn Abbey Hanna Park but it's not a resort. It's a city park. You can walk to a really nice beach and it is gated at night. I am not sure if there are monthly rates though and it is on the East side in Jacksonville.

If you like small towns, the small town of High Springs (or Ft. White) is adorable. It's not ocean front- but is in an area with several river front campgrounds and the natural clear springs. These towns are off of 75 just north of Gainesville.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
It depends on the year. This year, we have been very warm with only about 2-3 scattered weeks of "winter." In years past, we have had temps in the 20's consistently. Normally we don't have to use ac until around May....but we've been using it for about 4 weeks now in the afternoons.

I really like Kathyrn Abbey Hanna Park but it's not a resort. It's a city park. You can walk to a really nice beach and it is gated at night. I am not sure if there are monthly rates though and it is on the East side in Jacksonville.

If you like small towns, the small town of High Springs (or Ft. White) is adorable. It's not ocean front- but is in an area with several river front campgrounds and the natural clear springs. These towns are off of 75 just north of Gainesville.
Thank you. The weather at the panhandle seems to work it's way here and there is little difference. We live at the beach so like it close but 30 -45 minutes is fine. Actually, the beach is not even required ~ I like small towns and big sites (pull thrus are preferred). Will be checking your suggestions, thank you.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #32
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

The Great Outdoors RV Resort in Titusville is awesome. Stayed there a few days last month with friends of mine.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #33

We have a place in Clermont Florida which is 10 minutes from Disney World. The resort is called Citrus Valley. It's a pull thru paved site with beautiful landscaping. We are still working full time and can't use as much as we would like. Will be glad to rent at a great rate. Just let me know.
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
We just left Upriver Campground RV Resort in North Fort Myers, FL. We were there for 2 months and we looked all over and didn't find anything we liked better and we are going back next year for 3 months. There was another campground we looked at that we would consider as a backup. I think it was called Orange Grove RV resort.

Upriver gives priority to returning guests and guests that want to stay at least 3 months over ones that want to stay less than three months. We were on a standard site with concrete patio. Next year we are going on a premium site which your coach will sit on concrete and have a concrete patio. I'm not sure the exact rate but I think for 3 months it is $1,035 for standard and $1,060 for premium site. You need to start reserving wherever you decide now.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 4.10 gears
2016 Crusader 295RST FW 6 speed automatic

We are currently at Upriver in No. Ft. Myers. I wouldn't exactly call this place a resort. The dust flies around this place like a haboob. The facilities are older and need updating. There is virtually no grass, green weeds that are not maintained. There is an area where the folks play some form of golf totally foreign to me. There is one tennis court that doubles for pickle ball, bocce, horse shoe pits and shuffle board. We've never seen so many three wheel tricycles or blue jean shorts on folks anywhere. Go figure. Nope, not a resort!
No thanks, they won't be seeing us again anytime soon!

Paul
2015 XL 40QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote