Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

Foggy windows in the morning

Maybe it is just more of a problem because of our cooler and sometimes wetter springs up here near Seattle, but thought I would check with others. If I don't leave one of the roof vents open and one of the fantastic fans running at night when we go to bed, most of the windows in the coach will be fogged up when I raise the night shades in the morning. I hate to waste the extra heat out of the roof vent, but better that than the fogged up windows that take forever to clear up in the morning. Anyone else have this issue? We have 2 adults and 2 kids sleeping in the Berk when we have it out, so that might also attribute to it a bit.
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #2

Glenn if the nights are cool and night shades down our windows fog up as well. Raising the shades and turning on the front windshield fans generally clears them up in a little while.

Wayne
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Cover the insides with something like RainX anti-fog. Single pane windows allow that condensation transfer. We always have this problem.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Cover the insides with something like RainX anti-fog. Single pane windows allow that condensation transfer. We always have this problem.
X2 RainX is DA BOMB! -worth your time to put it on all of your coach's windows!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
RailwayRog

If the Rain-X prevents condensation on the interior windows then where does all that moisture go?
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Into your walls and everything this else that can absorb it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailwayRog View Post
If the Rain-X prevents condensation on the interior windows then where does all that moisture go?
It doesn't "go" anywhere, nor does it prevent condensation. An anti-fog treatment simply alters the surface of the glass, making it hydrophilic (opposite of hydrophobic), meaning it acts like a sponge and loves water. A hydrophobic (literally a phobia of water) surface causes water to bead up, meaning a water droplet looks more spherical, making it easy for the eye to see the droplet due to the way it refracts light from its surroundings. Fog is made up of a large number of these tiny little droplets, and because of their shape, it makes seeing past them nearly impossible. Hydrophilic surfaces cause a droplet of water to flatten, more like a contact lens sitting on a flat surface. This means you can see through it, and it refracts light differently.

The water still condenses on your window, and therefore it will still be wet, but you can see through the droplets because of their shape.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
It doesn't "go" anywhere, nor does it prevent condensation. An anti-fog treatment simply alters the surface of the glass, making it hydrophilic (opposite of hydrophobic), meaning it acts like a sponge and loves water. A hydrophobic (literally a phobia of water) surface causes water to bead up, meaning a water droplet looks more spherical, making it easy for the eye to see the droplet due to the way it refracts light from its surroundings. Fog is made up of a large number of these tiny little droplets, and because of their shape, it makes seeing past them nearly impossible. Hydrophilic surfaces cause a droplet of water to flatten, more like a contact lens sitting on a flat surface. This means you can see through it, and it refracts light differently.

The water still condenses on your window, and therefore it will still be wet, but you can see through the droplets because of their shape.
Wow, great explanation. Thanks.
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Site Team

If your windows are fogging up ( water condensation) then the same thing will happen on other cool surfaces throughout your RV. This can cause some minor water damage if serious enough. Your solution of leaving a vent open is a good option. You can try opening an un-powered vent and crack a window in the other end of the unit to get some cross ventilation. As long as you are inside and breathing, and it is cold outside you will have the possibility of condensation on cool surfaces.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Look on the bright side. Using micro fiber chamois it's the best window cleaner going. Not to mention absorbing all the condensate that collects at the bottom of the window.

2015 XL 40QL
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #11

Another way to get rid of condensation is with AC or heat. Though I think the last thing I want to do is run the AC on a cold morning, lol.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

we have that problem in our Berkshire too. we put the windshield defroster on, but we usually have to keep it on to stop it from fogging back up while driving. I have heard that shaving cream on the windshield helps but I haven't tried it yet. Other than giving the advice "always RV some place warm" I can't offer any other help..... sorry.
Good Luck,
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

I carry an extra 10,000 btu Ac for my neck of the woods (Arizona) but it also has just dehumidifier feature. Store it behind divers seat.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Look on the bright side. Using micro fiber chamois it's the best window cleaner going. Not to mention absorbing all the condensate that collects at the bottom of the window.

2015 XL 40QL
Can't agree More Paul! In fact we are going to go completely Microfiber and ditch all our cotton towels and go to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Spirit%C2%AE-Absorbent-Microfiber-Skidless/dp/B016QS7BQU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_ act_title_1&smid=A2WRS4X4C0GMOQ

I bought one set as a "test" Anne-Marie was VERY skeptical & had bad experience with the texture of other microfiber towels. She now uses the microfiber towel for her daily shower and a 20x40 one for her hair. She loves the fact that the microfiber dries completely in @ 4 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
we have that problem in our Berkshire too. we put the windshield defroster on, but we usually have to keep it on to stop it from fogging back up while driving. I have heard that shaving cream on the windshield helps but I haven't tried it yet. Other than giving the advice "always RV some place warm" I can't offer any other help..... sorry.
LOL Karen! We call that the 85/50 rule: When we retire if the temperature goes above 85, we move - below 50, we move

One thing we found really worked here in the south in our old 5er was this:

Amazon.com: New and Improved Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen

They really work! When they absorb all the humidity you just take 'em outside, plug them in to a power-strip and that dries them out in @ 2 hours--ready to use again. They are rated to last up to 10 years and are a HECK of a lot better than using damp-rid desiccant, which can spill and makes for a NASTY clean-up -- don't ask me how I know this
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #15

quote: Can't agree More Paul! In fact we are going to go completely Microfiber and ditch all our cotton towels and go to these:

Good to hear BamaBob! Now I don't have to worry if you will like your Goshen goodie bag!!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote