Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Forest River steps up...

My wife and I picked up our new 2015 Berkshire on January 7th 2015. What a happy day that was for us. My smile was so big that I could hardly get through the door.

By the next weekend my smile was upside down. We took Zarina to Gettysburg that weekend (Dry Camping) as it had been winterized. We came back with a list of 37 items that were not right. Some big and some small. Some of the items were windshield leaks, Left low beam burnt out and the headlight itself was full of condensation, Bolt sheered off the steps that holds the step motor, door lock mechanism sticks, etc. You get the idea. Lots of cosmetic quality issues though out.

Took it back to the dealer for repairs. Some were made some where not and I'm still waiting on them. It has been a total nightmare.

Once we turned the water on we had leaks everywhere, no hot water, floors coming up, washing machine just floods. Then 2 cables on the main slide out broke. The generator was loose and sliding around in the compartment and much more.

So I wrote Forest River a very nasty email detailing all our Berkshire issues to date and how we could not believe the lack of customer service we were receiving from the dealer.

Mitch from Forest River called. He gave me time to vent and talk about all my issues and he put together a plan to make us happy Forest River Berkshire owners.

He worked with the dealer to get a number of our issues resolved (Replaced the hot water heater with a different manufacturers model) so we could go on a trip and scheduled us an appointment to get the bus back to the factory for a total going over.

They will pick up the Zarina from our home in New Jersey, take it to their factory and go over it from end to end.

That won't happen until February 8th but we are just about done for the year now anyway. I am sure this will resolve all our issues.

Minus the issues we have had we love the ride, layout, look and feel, towing capacity and amenities that the Berkshire has. Our plan is to go full time next year from April through October and see how we like the life. Hopefully all the issues will be resolved and we will be very happy Berkshire owners.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Forest River is a great company.

I will never buy another brand RV, if, in the unlikely event, we were to replace our Berkshire.

Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Northern Ohio
Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
What happened during the PDI???? does not sound like you had one.....
Mike, Lisa and Jake
2002 Ford F250 CC 7.3
2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
Old 10-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
We feel your pain our maiden voyage came back with 30 item some critical safety item like step not extending when door opens to refrigerator falling out of retainers. We too got a new brand of water heater and mostly been happy with that.
My day of reckoning is tomorrow as I drop it off at 8 am for what is going to be an extended stay hope I get it back by spring. Oh and did I say that list was now up to 40.
Stay tuned as I report back on progress as I am asking for visitation rites. Tried to give them payment book but that was a bit much to ask for.
Maybe it will go in as an XL and come out as an XLT.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Has anyone heard a representative of Forest River agree that they have a quality problem? This will go on until they see it for what it is, and realize that it is costing them money and customers.

Sure they can frequently make most customers happy in the end if they're aggressive about correcting the issues. But this stuff just shouldn't happen in the first place.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Forest River steps up...

Deleted by author
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Was the Dealer located between Rt41 and Rt47 by any chance?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS
Not Always

As for FR stepping up to resolve issues, sometimes yes and sometimes no. Have a 2009 Berkshire and gel coat has a checking or what is also called Crazing in the dark brown areas of the coach. Have told FR about the issue and they have not stepped up to solve it. It is an very costly, man-hour intensive fix. Tiffin had the same manufacturing defect and they replaced the sides on the motorhomes that had this issue. Have had 4 RV companies that specialize in fiber glass repairs and painting and all have come to the same conclusion that it's crazing in the gel coat. the best FR came up with is have someone buff the areas. That will not solve the crazing issue, even one place said they could repaint the areas, but the crazing will just return since it's an issue with the fiber glass/gel coat. One estimate was $11,000 per side to repair and provide a warrantee on their work. This crazing issue has been around the motorhome industry since 2006
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Our SolAire is back at the dealer for a second round of warranty repairs but their service guys are super and very helpful. They stand behind what they sell.

We've have another Forest River (a Rockwood Ultralite) product and had no troubles with it at all.
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2014 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with special towing package

2015: 18 days camping
2016: 21 days (so far!)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Yes, you have the correct dealer :-) I'm sorry if I stirred up a hornets nest here. I didn't realize this was covered in a previous post.

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. I look forward to much interaction in the future.

There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here.

Closed Thread

forest river