Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #11

I have seen these cracks on Michelins, good years BF Goodrich and a few no name tires. This is a common problem and is the reason you should always check your RV tires.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #12

Thanks for your insight - I'll check that forum. I've done a lot of reading these last days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
This is NOT normal for all tires. I subscribe to another forum and Michelin comes up often. Cracks like that appears to be normal for Michelin. Go to RV.Net and do a search for Michelins. You can subscribe free and there is a large number of members who can help with most any problem people have.

2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #13

Tireman9 - thanks for the info. I'm doing lots of research but will not invest in Michelins again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The cracks are NOT "Zipper" failures. Zipper is what can happen when a steel body tire is run significantly under-inflated. The Zipper failure occurs about mid sidewall.

RE the cracks you have. I have seen a few posts where people took their Michelin tires to a dealer and since the tires were under 5 years old Michelin gave them new tires at something like 70% discount. Not saying you will get this but if you are reasonable and don't demand a free set you might be surprised on the response from Michelin.

Tires should not have this level of cracking at 4 years service. Can you document the purchase date of the tires? That info might help.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #14

Jerry - I did have the tires looked at here in Albuquerque. It was an amazing learning experience. Immediately after one "tire guy" said they were good to go another wandered out and basically yelled for everyone to step back that the tires were going to explode any second...

These tires are not covered by a recall I can find. The Michelin rep did say they would pro-rate for a new set but I am not going to replace them with Michelins. I'm looking at other options - TOYO, B.F. Goodrich, Yokohama.

Was looking at an Over-The-Road trucking review of tires and tire construction, warranty, durability, etc, and I'm convinced there are many good, safe options at a better price point.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #15

JBoyer - You can do yourself a favor by going to 275/80 tires. I did and now only need 84 psi in the rear and 98 psi in the front, instead of the 110 psi that I had to do with the 255/80. If you change brands, you need to get into the tires weight ratings.

2012 Berkshire 390BH
Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Dutchtexan

Whatever brand, make or size you get, no matter where you get them you can go to Discount Tire (discounttire.com) and get a warranty on them for about $35 per tire, great warranty that will cover anything and everything that can happen to your tires. They dont care where you purchased them you can still get the warranty. I have it on my car, truck, camper, boat and utility trailer tires. Bumped a curb once and blew out the tire, they replaced free no question asked.
V-nose TT w/Rear Living area, 2 slides, Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch #10000
TV: 2011 Chevy Silverado Z71 Extended Cab AirLift 1000 w/WirelessAIR
Dutchtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #17

I had the Michelins and, at 5 years, had a front blow out. Interestingly, it was the inside of the tire, not where the cracks were. MIchelin warranted the blow out and I replaced all with Toyo 275s. Slightly wider but no change in mpg.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
'11 390BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchtexan View Post
Whatever brand, make or size you get, no matter where you get them you can go to Discount Tire (discounttire.com) and get a warranty on them for about $35 per tire, great warranty that will cover anything and everything that can happen to your tires. They dont care where you purchased them you can still get the warranty. I have it on my car, truck, camper, boat and utility trailer tires. Bumped a curb once and blew out the tire, they replaced free no question asked.
Warranty would be nice, how do you make a claim when you're on the road and its all gone wrong? and what happens, the process must take longer?
I ditched Good Sam 6 years ago after they were not at all helpful in resolving a blown tire in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night on a trailer.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #19
Dutchtexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohersh View Post
Warranty would be nice, how do you make a claim when you're on the road and its all gone wrong? and what happens, the process must take longer?
I ditched Good Sam 6 years ago after they were not at all helpful in resolving a blown tire in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night on a trailer.
Good question, i was referring to it thinking that you would change the bad tire with your spare and then stop by any Discount Tire Company and they will repair or replace it depending on if it repairable, otherwise they will replace it right then no questions asked. The really nice thing is it doesn't have to be damaged in the tread area, sidewall puncture no problem they will replace it. Unlike other places that will not.
V-nose TT w/Rear Living area, 2 slides, Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch #10000
TV: 2011 Chevy Silverado Z71 Extended Cab AirLift 1000 w/WirelessAIR
Dutchtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 PM   #20
'11 390BH

The idea of carrying a spare around is not all that bad. I had a mounted 19.5 for my gasser that I decided was 1 million x more hassle than it was worth, bu having just a tire seems like s solid idea. Last time I had to replace one roadside it was a brand i never heard of, but I was glad to get it and happier to be back enroute

Tags
tire