Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
I’m just amazed that in today’s economy businesses are willing to TURN AWAY BUSINESS!!!!
LACK OF TRAINED and SKILLED technicians... thanks to the availability of student loans for college, lots of trained social workers out there BUT NO SKILLED MECHANICS...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
LACK OF TRAINED and SKILLED technicians... thanks to the availability of student loans for college, lots of trained social workers out there BUT NO SKILLED MECHANICS...

This is a problem with all the trades- and it comes down to money. Most trades don't pay well enough to attract smart young people.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
This is a problem with all the trades- and it comes down to money. Most trades don't pay well enough to attract smart young people.
Untrue!
Many trades jobs pay better than many jobs requiring Bachelor's or Master's degrees.
Many trades unions can't get the newer generations to take jobs that are blue collar.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #24
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
The economy in the RV world is booming so they can afford to turn away business...they have more than they can handle.
My thoughts exactly. When I read the statement that pondered how a business could turn down business in "this economy," I was wondering what country the person was from. In the US, the economy is pretty rock solid. From construction to automotive services, shops are full and it's harder to find qualified employees ... we're setting records for unemployment rates and it's just hard to find/keep employees.

So, yeah, it makes sense that lots of various industries are turning down work.

Some of the trades can be quite lucrative -- listen to some of Mike Rowe's podcasts for some good insight. Plumbers, electricians, and others make good money. If you're not studying STEM, college may not really pay off when compared to trades ... or even 2-year programs like dental hygiene.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palusza View Post
I just had the same issue with honda motorcycle dealers , don’t work on anything older than 10yrs

It's because these young kids they hire now for peanuts have no idea how to work older engines and electrical systems. I've been wrenching bikes for almost 50 years (hobby) and I won't let any of these young kids touch my bikes. Different problem with RVs, my family's RV dealership can't pay enough to compete with other types of employment to keep good techs in this economy. Car dealerships are scooping up all the good techs and they can pay considerably more. IT is getting the young and really bright ones at $60 an hour. RV shops want to pay $30 to $40 an hour for the cream of the crop.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #26

RV techs had to find another job during the last recession. In a couple years there will be another, they may as well leave now and avoid the rush.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #27

A bunch of useless dealers

I’m a gunsmith and if I refused to work on anything older than fifty years I’d have to go out of business. I’ve worked on everything you can imagine from 1757 to the modern stuff. Mostly there are no schematics, manuals or instructions even. REAL professionals can fix anything. The excuse that they can’t get parts is bollocks. If I can find parts for what I work on they should be able to find parts for what they work on. It’s the difference between being lazy and providing real customer service.
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by palusza View Post
I just had the same issue with honda motorcycle dealers , don’t work on anything older than 10yrs
I work for a Honda car dealer. Out motor sports dealer has the same policy. I thought it was bullshit also until I learned why. After 10 years the parts aren’t Garunteed to be available and there is also a liability side to being the last person to touch a bike.

Let’s say that you bring in your 12 year old motorcycle for a tune up. During that process they break something. Doesn’t really mater what it is. Let’s say it’s a rocker arm. Now they can no longer get that part. Now they are either putting in used parts( huge liability) or your not getting your bike back.

Same goes for liability. When someone gets in a motorcycle wreck the insurance company and lawyers will play the blame game. They will go after a service department who replaced a light bulb 6 months ago because a tire failed.

I can understand that a dealer in Florida is busy enough not to want to fight with rust problems on some steps. They are exposed to the elements and if there’s a problem will need to be replaced most of the time. What happens when your stair bolts break off in the frame? Are you going to pay to remove them or are you going to tell them it’s their problem? Most will refuse to pay more. This causes shops to make decisions to eliminate headaches.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #29

As far as customer service goes anywhere anymore.....If you want loyalty get a dog.
Sad state of affairs in this country anymore.
ALABAMARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #30
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I’m a gunsmith and if I refused to work on anything older than fifty years I’d have to go out of business. I’ve worked on everything you can imagine from 1757 to the modern stuff. Mostly there are no schematics, manuals or instructions even. REAL professionals can fix anything. The excuse that they can’t get parts is bollocks. If I can find parts for what I work on they should be able to find parts for what they work on. It’s the difference between being lazy and providing real customer service.

Unfortunately, the reality in many industries is the parts are not there because the manufacturer destroys them to force buying new. While I was working for a major electronics manufacturer, we went in to the parts department and collected every part that was proprietary and over 8 years old. We then had them taken to a local scrap yard and crushed them. Since the parts were proprietary none were available from 3rd party sources and since they were a very low usage item , no one would gear up to make a substitute. This is happening more and more as the manufacturers pare down costs.
They make more selling new than providing parts. This is true in many industries.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Untrue!
Many trades jobs pay better than many jobs requiring Bachelor's or Master's degrees.
Many trades unions can't get the newer generations to take jobs that are blue collar.
Well said.........doesn't have anything to do with being "too smart"...has more to do with "too lazy" and "too good" for the trades fields....Mike Rowe has an entire movement going across the Country on this topic.
ARICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #32

Another reason they don't work on older machines is that the repair bill can end up being more than the bike or camper is worth and the owners abandon them and the dealer is stuck with something they can't get their money out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I work for a Honda car dealer. Out motor sports dealer has the same policy. I thought it was bullshit also until I learned why. After 10 years the parts aren’t Garunteed to be available and there is also a liability side to being the last person to touch a bike.

Let’s say that you bring in your 12 year old motorcycle for a tune up. During that process they break something. Doesn’t really mater what it is. Let’s say it’s a rocker arm. Now they can no longer get that part. Now they are either putting in used parts( huge liability) or your not getting your bike back.

Same goes for liability. When someone gets in a motorcycle wreck the insurance company and lawyers will play the blame game. They will go after a service department who replaced a light bulb 6 months ago because a tire failed.

I can understand that a dealer in Florida is busy enough not to want to fight with rust problems on some steps. They are exposed to the elements and if there’s a problem will need to be replaced most of the time. What happens when your stair bolts break off in the frame? Are you going to pay to remove them or are you going to tell them it’s their problem? Most will refuse to pay more. This causes shops to make decisions to eliminate headaches.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
So - is the message they’re sending “Your rig is obsolete after 10 years and we no longer want to associate ourselves with you”????

If that is the case so much for company loyalty to ALL their customers....

I certainly don’t expect any warranty work BUT I’d think they’d want to help ALL their owners because we are willing to pay for services rendered!!!!
Just want to point out that this is individual dealers, not Forest River. Dealers are independent and can do whatever they choose.
hswalker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:33 AM   #34
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Unfortunately, the reality in many industries is the parts are not there because the manufacturer destroys them to force buying new. While I was working for a major electronics manufacturer, we went in to the parts department and collected every part that was proprietary and over 8 years old. We then had them taken to a local scrap yard and crushed them. Since the parts were proprietary none were available from 3rd party sources and since they were a very low usage item , no one would gear up to make a substitute. This is happening more and more as the manufacturers pare down costs.
They make more selling new than providing parts. This is true in many industries.

Having retired from the scrap recycling industry I had seen this several times over the years. It's the same with the small engine manufacturers. Briggs & Stratton and Kohler used to bring in parts by the semi load. When B&S closed down the last plant and moved it to Mexico they were bringing in loads of completed engines, pressure washers, and generators. We were not allowed to scavenge for complete units but we were able to get replacement parts that were not made from metal, only plastic or rubber .
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Untrue!

Well I could not disagree with you more- I'm a trades man (40+ years) who has done well for my self- but this is not this norm. The new construction industry is full of $15 an hour help- ( a large number of illegals but that a other subject) Ask a tech at camping world what they make- $21 per hour maybe some vacation time no retirement. You can not raise a family on that-

You answered you owns question- (Many trades unions can't get the newer generations to take jobs that are blue collar) That because they do not see a future or the money.

I will also add many young men graduating high school can not change the oil in their car- Hell I hired a high school kid who- until he worked for me never washed a car by hand!

I
Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #36
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hswalker39 View Post
Just want to point out that this is individual dealers, not Forest River. Dealers are independent and can do whatever they choose.
Which is one of my complaints about the industry, and that starts day 1, not after 10 years. Unlike the car industry dealers are not being held to any kind of standards that I can see......
Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #37

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Which is one of my complaints about the industry, and that starts day 1, not after 10 years. Unlike the car industry dealers are not being held to any kind of standards that I can see......
RV dealers are not like Car dealers, who are 'franchised' to a certain brand, or brands...such as a FORD dealer... The Ford dealer will not be selling new Toyotas.

RV dealers are independent businesses who decide WHAT brands they sell, which can range from a single brand, to almost EVERY brand, all on the same lot. They are not, though, tied to 'having' to do anything for that brand, and the brand, or manufacturer, has no AUTHORITY over them. The manufacturer 'could' decide to no longer sell any of their units to a dealer, sure, but if that dealer is selling units, it's doubtful that will EVER happen.

This is the way the RV industry works, and has always worked.
While we may 'think' or assume that it works like the car industry, they are two different animals - like the similarities between dogs and cats...both are pets, but both are very different.

There may be pressures that some factories can put on certain dealerships, such as those on the higher end who have many fewer dealerships, but those dealers can still make their own choices as to 'how' the sell the units, 'who' they will work on, etc.
It's doubtful that service is ever going to be a sticking point for the manufacturer's decision as to who their dealership is, because SELLING is the main point. Service is really a by-product, and for each dealership to handle on their own.
Most every manufacturer also has their own Service Center, if a customer wishes to use it, but even the factory will have certain limits...
Check out the recent Tiffin service center change of rules: "We regret that we cannot accept appointments in advance. Owners are assisted on a first come, first serve basis."

In the end, every dealership is in business to make money, period. We may not agree with their business decisions, especially when it affects US, but every one has a reason to do it the way they do it.

Some of us don't agree with the 'didn't buy it here, don't service it here' rule, but without that some dealers would struggle to handle their own customer's units because so many 'other' units are ahead of them.
If you are that customer, you'll also not like that the dealership can't get to your unit because of all of the other 'business' in the way - it's an aggravation no matter which end you are on, especially if your new RV is still sitting waiting for service weeks after you brought it to them.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
I’ve commented on this before. I work I. The service department of a Honda dealer. Short answer is that if the rv industry had to deal with what we go through, for each of thier manufactures, they would just close.

It would mean that the dealers would have little to say about the operation of thier business.
Some things Honda controls:

To start with the don’t pay for half of what we are required to do. They Don’t pay diag time, and the labor rates keep dropping. For an example a software update pays 12 minutes and takes over a half hour just to do the update. Relaxing piston rings in an accord v6 is under 6 hours.

Honda controls our scheduling. They control what we schedule and how we schedule it. What goes on what schedule and so on.

They control the way our building looks, how our invoices look ( which is for them not the customer because as a tech I can’t tell you what we did to a car by reading one)

We have two full time employees just to submit warr claims then try and re submit them after Honda denies them. All this is weeks or months after your car has left and unlike a doctor we can’t charge someone for something 6 months down the road

I could go on and on. But a car dealer service department makes around 5% profit on labor because of all this ****.

If the rv industry went to this atleas half of dealwrs would close.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I’m just amazed that in today’s economy businesses are willing to TURN AWAY BUSINESS!!!!

In today's booming economy, there is more work than they can handle. They probably are FORCED to turn away work if they want to keep even "barely adequate" capability to service their newer customers warranty issues.

Do you know of any millennials that would want to go work on RV's every day, and heaven forbid, get their hands dirty, much less know which end of the screwdriver to use when doing it? I work with Millennials every day... and those types are few and far between...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
In today's booming economy, there is more work than they can handle. They probably are FORCED to turn away work if they want to keep even "barely adequate" capability to service their newer customers warranty issues.

Do you know of any millennials that would want to go work on RV's every day, and heaven forbid, get their hands dirty, much less know which end of the screwdriver to use when doing it? I work with Millennials every day... and those types are few and far between...

Truth! Finding quality help today, especially at the low wages most businesses want to pay. Is extremely difficult. Y'all are worrying about getting your RV repaired?? Pray you don't ever need assisted living for yourself.

wvyankee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer