Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

FR Dealers refusing to work on rig

Well, I just experienced a first - twice.....

Called two FR dealers in Corpus Christi, TX to discuss a step problem....

Both dealers, upon learning that I had a 2008 Berkshire stated that they didn’t work on rigs 10 yrs or older....

WHAT????

So now I have a coach no one will work on???? What’s up with that???
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #2

well the steps are an easy fix- 4 bolts and you can replace them! I just tried to get parts for my 2001- and found the step are no longer made and not all the parts are available. I just had to replace the door switch- and the new steps work fine.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

You’ll soon learn on here that it’s far from only FR dealers that don’t. No way to know their real reason. Frankly, on rigs even a very few years old some of them don’t want to spend the time on. An 08 isn’t all that old to not find parts for I don’t imagine. In those situations I find a good mobile rv repair guy. At least so far for us, they’ve been more knowledgeable, more efficient, less expensive. And wanting to do it right and move on. I’m sure there are exceptions as there are in everything else, but if you can’t figure it out with help on the forum and YouTube then that’d be my next step (no pun intended).
Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

dave-g.... step issue isn’t the problem - the problem is that a FR dealer REFUSED to even be willing to check out my coach.....

Makes me believe customers with “older” Berkshire’s no longer are welcome..... Kinda PIS...... me off!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

No thanks to them, I figured out the steps myself.... lack of customer service is the issue!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

I just had the same issue with honda motorcycle dealers , don’t work on anything older than 10yrs
palusza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #7

So - is the message they’re sending “Your rig is obsolete after 10 years and we no longer want to associate ourselves with you”????

If that is the case so much for company loyalty to ALL their customers....

I certainly don’t expect any warranty work BUT I’d think they’d want to help ALL their owners because we are willing to pay for services rendered!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

Turning away business means they have a lack of employees to handle the work. MY dealer has signs all over their dealership, stating that they only work on their customers RV's. Because of lack of employees, that's all they can handle.

wvyankee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

I’m just amazed that in today’s economy businesses are willing to TURN AWAY BUSINESS!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Well, I just experienced a first - twice.....

Called two FR dealers in Corpus Christi, TX to discuss a step problem....

Both dealers, upon learning that I had a 2008 Berkshire stated that they didn’t work on rigs 10 yrs or older....

WHAT????

So now I have a coach no one will work on???? What’s up with that???
Some camping spots won't accept older rigs nowadays? If they are kept up and look decent ( not like Beverly hills Hillbillies) I don't see a problem.
I guess I should be glad I traded my 2004 Gulfstream.
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
Enjoying Life

Quote:
I’m just amazed that in today’s economy businesses are willing to TURN AWAY BUSINESS!!!!

Believe it or not, it is a current business model that many companies in many areas are employing.
The model looks at availability of parts, availability of qualified technicians, length of time required to obtain available parts, possibility of additional work needed because of work done, reliability of repair on older product, prospect of repeat issues and more.
The majority of the electronics industry has employed this model for a few years now.
Unfortunately, this doesn't help those of us that like to keep things awhile and many companies do a poor job of informing customers why they make the decision.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #12

Harley Davidson dealers are the same, won’t work on bikes older than ten years. And they are the company that emphasizes loyalty and heritage more than any other!!
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #13

while we feel your pain, or angst, stay away from RV dealers and you'll find yourself in much more pleasurable environments - folks who are IN the business of wanting your business - RV repair shops, service centers, and even Mobile RV repair operations.

...even IF the FR dealer were to try to 'help' you out, you might also find that your rig sits there for weeks, or months(!), on end, while they take care of more 'pressing' work(code word for 'our customers' or 'newer models')... it's not an exacting science - each business is their own business, not controlled by or required to do things 'FR's' way. FR, like all other manufacturers, simply sells these coaches to the dealer. It's up to the dealer as to 'how' they then sale them to the public, and 'how' they service their customers.

You'll find this same expectation with some rv parks, as they are privately owned and can decide 'how' they do business - even turning away rigs only because they aren't 'young' enough, or those not 'Class A' style, or those not 'at least 30' in length', etc., etc.,... of course, I know you've seen that before.

I guess you could also ask 'why' some manufacturers don't build pop-ups, or tents, or fifth-wheels... it's their business, and their choice.

Can a dealer be 'removed' from FR's 'approved' dealer list? Sure, if things really go wrong between it and FR, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot... ANY dealer, or repair facility, or your local garage, can do work for you, whether or not they are a FR dealer, especially when warranty work is not part of the equation.

At your coach's age, using an FR dealership should not be part of your concern...anyone can help you, FR dealer or not.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #14

Look for a private or small independent rv service center. More than likely the dealer knows they will have to hunt and search for repair parts, because the steps you have are no longer made or discontinued. They know when they tell you this and the cost to replace and modify the coach, you will not be Happy.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
while we feel your pain, or angst, stay away from RV dealers and you'll find yourself in much more pleasurable environments - folks who are IN the business of wanting your business - RV repair shops, service centers, and even Mobile RV repair operations.

...even IF the FR dealer were to try to 'help' you out, you might also find that your rig sits there for weeks, or months(!), on end, while they take care of more 'pressing' work(code word for 'our customers' or 'newer models')... it's not an exacting science - each business is their own business, not controlled by or required to do things 'FR's' way. FR, like all other manufacturers, simply sells these coaches to the dealer. It's up to the dealer as to 'how' they then sale them to the public, and 'how' they service their customers.

You'll find this same expectation with some rv parks, as they are privately owned and can decide 'how' they do business - even turning away rigs only because they aren't 'young' enough, or those not 'Class A' style, or those not 'at least 30' in length', etc., etc.,... of course, I know you've seen that before.

I guess you could also ask 'why' some manufacturers don't build pop-ups, or tents, or fifth-wheels... it's their business, and their choice.

Can a dealer be 'removed' from FR's 'approved' dealer list? Sure, if things really go wrong between it and FR, but that really doesn't mean a whole lot... ANY dealer, or repair facility, or your local garage, can do work for you, whether or not they are a FR dealer, especially when warranty work is not part of the equation.

At your coach's age, using an FR dealership should not be part of your concern...anyone can help you, FR dealer or not.
X2 Well said.

Dealers are in business to make money and even if you believe working on your 10 year old rig is an opportunity to make money, they do not.

It is all about having the parts, technicians and resources to work on CURRENT models and not about spending time diagnosing and tracking down parts for older stuff.

As mentioned, general repair facilities and mobile techs are the best bet when you really have no need for factory affiliated repairs.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #16

Quote:
The economy in the RV world is booming so they can afford to turn away business...they have more than they can handle.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
Harley Davidson dealers are the same, won’t work on bikes older than ten years. And they are the company that emphasizes loyalty and heritage more than any other!!

Not the case with my Harley dealership. They will do work on older bikes.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
The economy in the RV world is booming so they can afford to turn away business...they have more than they can handle.

Very true! My niece works in the service department in a local dealership and she has related the same info.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:23 PM   #19

AAMCO in Humble Texas brook the motor mount for my 2001 Bounder. They found one place that had the parts.
steven skare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #20

Lone Star RV Repair in Harker Heights, near Killeen,TX will work on most rigs including older ones. They are good people and do very good work. Give them a call.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer