Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Freezer thawing

Has anyone had to pull the refrigerator to clean the coils?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Ben, I just pulled mine to do the drain fix. The front coils are dusty, but all looked ok in the back. Fronts can be accessed by pulling off plastic piece under freezer drawer.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Ben, I just pulled mine to do the drain fix. The front coils are dusty, but all looked ok in the back. Fronts can be accessed by pulling off plastic piece under freezer drawer.

Rich
Mine is a top freezer, there doesn't appear to be any coils in the front of mine and looking underneath it's sealed.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

Through all the troubleshooting and advise, it appears that some refrigerant has leaked out of the system and will not cool enough to keep things frozen or keep the fridge section cold enough. Good thing is that Whirlpool will fix or replace under warranty, bad news is, they can't find someone to come and even look at it till June 27. We live full time in our moho and don't stay in one place...we just need someone to come out and determine whether it can be fixed or has to be replaced, problem is that they have to be "whirlpool" certified and RV "willing". I just don't now how full timers that are on the move deal with these situations. Any advice would he helpful.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Through all the troubleshooting and advise, it appears that some refrigerant has leaked out of the system and will not cool enough to keep things frozen or keep the fridge section cold enough. Good thing is that Whirlpool will fix or replace under warranty, bad news is, they can't find someone to come and even look at it till June 27. We live full time in our moho and don't stay in one place...we just need someone to come out and determine whether it can be fixed or has to be replaced, problem is that they have to be "whirlpool" certified and RV "willing". I just don't now how full timers that are on the move deal with these situations. Any advice would he helpful.
Not to be snide, but it appears you have 2 choices, 1. Stay put for the service man 2. Buy a new one and have it installed and try to get FR to reimburse.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not to be snide, but it appears you have 2 choices, 1. Stay put for the service man 2. Buy a new one and have it installed and try to get FR to reimburse.
I like the latter, but not sure FR would agree to that!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
I like the latter, but not sure FR would agree to that!

In my case FR really had nothing to do with it. FR had me contact whirlpool. Whirlpool sent a tech and had to wait till next day for parts. So on mine it was the compressor I think. There are no ports to add freon -- After the new one was in it has ports.

But to answer you problem. ?? Maybe talk a campground into letting you use their frig till tech get yours fixed.

Tech told me it didn't matter what it cost whirlpool almost always fixes rather than replaces.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

You could call ahead to where ever you are going and make a reservation to have the service man meet you or drive to a Whirlpool dealer yourself.

Kind of hard for a service man to hit a moving target.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You could call ahead to where ever you are going and make a reservation to have the service man meet you or drive to a Whirlpool dealer yourself.

Kind of hard for a service man to hit a moving target.

That what I had to do OC. I actually went to Elkhart and met tech at my dealer. Total Value RV. I get to camp there free. I like free!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

Fridge update

Well, we're actually at a good place to have this happen, even though it still frustrates me about getting service for RV's, period. It's not accommodating for RVs especially for full timers. So I called the local appliance store who is Whirlpool certified, but only services what they sell normally and pled my case with them and they decided to make an exception. But, I had to remove the fridge and bring it to them...I think I made record time getting it removed and out the door way (1 hr). They have it now and I mentioned that it would not bother me if they determined it needed to be replaced rather than repaired, since it would be purchased from them . Then I will have a new warranty also!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

Ben,
You were able to get the refrigerator through the door? I'm shocked that it fit through. Also, I'm guessing that you had help with getting it out. My son and I had a tough time just getting the refrigerator out of the cabinet that it sits in. Also, the fact that it sits about 12" of the floor in the cabinet didn't make things any easier. Hope that they make a determination and either get yours repaired or say yours must be replaced quickly.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Ben,
You were able to get the refrigerator through the door? I'm shocked that it fit through. Also, I'm guessing that you had help with getting it out. My son and I had a tough time just getting the refrigerator out of the cabinet that it sits in. Also, the fact that it sits about 12" of the floor in the cabinet didn't make things any easier. Hope that they make a determination and either get yours repaired or say yours must be replaced quickly.
Tom
Thanks Tom, I hope so too. My fridge is only an 18 cu ft. It does not sit high off the ground in the cabinet. But after the doors and all the inside stuff is removed, it's pretty light and I did have help from a strong nephew! I also had to remove everything off the back side that protruded, even the little plastic clips that hold the icemaker hose. Then I had to remove the hand rails at the entry way and the door arm, so it could swing out away from the door opening, which had zero room to spare. When I bring it or the new one in I think I will remove the passenger seat to make more room to turn it away from console and upper tv.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #13

Just a thought if they do replace it I would measure very carefully. I have never heard of anyone being able to get a res fridge out the door. Almost always a window needs to be removed. Good luck.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Just a thought if they do replace it I would measure very carefully. I have never heard of anyone being able to get a res fridge out the door. Almost always a window needs to be removed. Good luck.
At first I was hoping to have it replaced, so I would have a new warranty. But after looking online at new units, the dimensions are all different and since they don't make my model anymore I would have to make modifications to the cabinet and probably not be able to get one back through the door. If they fix it, then it will go right back in the way it was, viola! So please cross your fingers that it gets fixed!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

I'm hoping with you. Keep us updated.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #16

Ben,
We also had trouble with our fridge, but our 38A has a Frigidaire fridge, not a Whirlpool.
The problem was a fan motor that pushes the air from freezer to fridge part. (not sure what the name of the part is). But we called Frigidaire directly, they sent a repair man (he had to wait for the part...of course) but it was an easy fix once he got the part. But of course, our coach is parked behind our house so it is a little easier for us to wait for parts.
I hope all goes well from now on.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #17

Update

So all the parts will be in next week and they plan to put it back together Thursday 6/23. I'm sure they'll want to keep it overnight, so probably get it back Friday at earliest. They're replacing everything that has to do with refrigerant including evaporator and condenser. It was the evaporator that had the leak.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #18

Final update

So I got jerked around by the shop that ordered the parts, by the time the parts came in, the repair tech said he couldn't repair it because it's a sealed unit and he wouldn't be able to weld the dryer in because it would melt the plastic and insulation. He called Whirlpool and they told him it was repairable, so then Whirlpool tells me they need a second opinion. I had to wait another 5 days for that to happen and of course had to take the fridge away from the first shop. The second guy indicated that he could repair it but that Whirlpool doesn't pay enough for warranty work on sealed units! So I convinced him to tell Whirlpool it was beyond repair. Now it took another week for them to approve for replacement and then 16 business days for the delivery. Before I removed the drivers side window assembly I plugged it in and made sure it worked for a day and also verified the dimensions would in fact not fit through the door like my old one did. I also had to modify my cabinet during to the fact that the new ones are wider and deeper, yet shorter. It is in now and everything back together and working fine, but what a fiasco it has been due to scheduling and decisions and shipping. If I hadn't done this myself and tried to get into a repair facility I would still be waiting and wouldn't be living in my motorhome. I am lucky that I can do this work myself (looks better than factory too) I don't know how someone without the craft could deal with a situation like this when your full time.