Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankatp View Post
I'm gonna go check mine. On our last trip I couldn't get the tranny to shift into 6th. I guess my speed was too slow. great conversation! Frank

Yes, that is the biggest symptom; can't get into 6th gear until close to 70 MPH. I'm in 5th 99% of the time on the highway.

MANY have stated that it's simply a matter of "re-programming" the transmission. But FL as well as Arens (the manufacturer of the shift control box) have both told me that the only way to get the mode (officially known as "secondary shift program") button to work is to swap out the control box.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
Berkshire 390QS

Our mode button seams to work fine, without the mode button pushed shifts to 6th at about 64 MPH, with button pushed shifts into 6th at around 58MPH. Really can't tell any other differences other then when it shifts into 6th. Leave it on all the time except for hilly conditions. Find we get about 1/2 mile per gallon improvement. Haven't figured out how to check levels yet!
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Our mode button seams to work fine, without the mode button pushed shifts to 6th at about 64 MPH, with button pushed shifts into 6th at around 58MPH. Really can't tell any other differences other then when it shifts into 6th. Leave it on all the time except for hilly conditions. Find we get about 1/2 mile per gallon improvement. Haven't figured out how to check levels yet!

Yes.... Except for hill climbing keep those RPM's down; the lower the are, the better mileage you get. I guess FL just put in the wrong shifter box when the built my chassis..... They are going to swap it out under warranty.

Still can't figure out why, since I DO have the mode BUTTON; but hey, whatever works for them as long as they are paying the bill.

Boowho??
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #24

Update:

Had my local FL shop order a new shifter box two days ago. Local shop called Gaffney to get the straight dope as to what I need directly from them. He called me back and said the shifter was on it's way and would be here this week.

This morning I get a call from Gaffney indicating that the shifter box may NOT have to be replaced. Apparently a few chassis units have gotten out the door with the shifter box miswired, or some such. I felt that Gaffney wanted to get this fixed ASAP.

So when I pull out of this location at the end of May, the first place I go is back to Tucson (35 miles) and straight to FL of AZ. Maybe then the speculation, guessing, etc will finally be put to rest.

Boowho??
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #25

It's frustrating that it keeps going back and forth but good to know it will be fixed for good and that FL is standing behind you.
Is it getting a little warm in AZ? How do you keep it cool?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #26

boo-

Sometimes I wonder if Freightliner really knows what the h3ll is going on with their chassis. Seems like the more people you ask a question, the more answers you get.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
boo-

Sometimes I wonder if Freightliner really knows what the h3ll is going on with their chassis. Seems like the more people you ask a question, the more answers you get.
I almost felt from the conversation with Gaffney, that this could possibly even be a safety issue. Don't see how, but they did seem to want me to get it fixed ASAP. Maybe I was just reading him incorrectly.

Phil, better here than Denver (and many other places ) today with all the snow. We've yet to hit 100, in fact, barely over 90 once or twice. If you stay in the shade it's quite comfortable. However we WILL be in Colorado by 3-4th of June!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #28

Freightliner sqays my 2013 Berkshire 390RB has the Mode button working, no calibration needed, right out of the box (chassis actually built in March 2012).

Shifts all gears 200 RPM lower. Looks to me like it actually does.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #29

Get out of 5th Gear

I attended Camp Freightliner recently, and had my first year maintenance done there.

Freightliner says there is no harm in getting out of 5th gear by hitting the mode button. As soon as the red mode LED comes on, the trans upshifts to 6th, otherwise with the mode off, you have to be up around 70 mph to upshift to 6th.

This will not, of course, work when the torque/rpm conditions (uphill) are calling for a lower gear. Once in 6th, immediately get out of mode (LED light off) so you are ready for the next hill climb. I don't use this except when I can see that I have a mile or more of less than 2% downgrade ahead, otherwise I will just keep going in and out of 6th in hilly terrain.

On a less than 2% grade uphill, the unit will usually stay in 6th with mode switch off.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote