Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #1

Freightliner's take on the mode button

Got this message from FL support in Gaffney. It seems to indicate that MORE than just re-programming will be needed to enable the economy mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the mode button, the
unit will need to go to a Freightliner dealer. Have the Freightliner dealer
call FCCC. The actual shifter will have to be replaced, the shifter will
have updated calibration that will address the mode function.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone that has the mode enable WITHOUT replacing the shifter, please let me know. I already have the mode button so maybe he didn't understand that part of it.

Editorial Comment: How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!

Boowho??

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Editorial Comment: How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!

Boowho??

It seems pretty dumb to me to. While it seems to be ok in an automatic car with a shifter you physically grab and position it always leaves me pushing the wrong button on the pad, don't know why.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #3

Boo-
I think you are correct when you say that you don't think they understood what you were saying. Did you try calling the Freightliner help line? In not, maybe you should give that a try. I think it is 1800 FTL-HELP

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
..How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!Boowho??
Seems to me that that's the way it's been since they started labeling shift patterns until they came out with console shift 4 speeds std shifts in the mid-late 50's.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
It seems pretty dumb to me to. While it seems to be ok in an automatic car with a shifter you physically grab and position it always leaves me pushing the wrong button on the pad, don't know why.
Ya know, thinking about a car shifter, we have gotten used to the p-r-n-d-l pattern for so many years it seems perfectly natural.

But with the buttons it seem weird; I always have to think about it for a second or so, before I press the button. I instinctively want to push the wrong one. Maybe that will go away once I've driven it for awhile.

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo-
I think you are correct when you say that you don't think they understood what you were saying. Did you try calling the Freightliner help line? In not, maybe you should give that a try. I think it is 1800 FTL-HELP

Tom
I sure hope you are right. My shifter panel already has mode button, and I'll bet having to replace that whole assembly would be VERY pricey.

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Economy Mode

boowho

Does this go back to the thread you started 6 January 2013? If so what's the difference between my 2008 360QS with a 340 ISB Cummins and Allison 2500 MH and your unit?

Good luck,
ARAE51
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
boowho

Does this go back to the thread you started 6 January 2013? If so what's the difference between my 2008 360QS with a 340 ISB Cummins and Allison 2500 MH and your unit?

Good luck,
ARAE51
Yes it does.... I should think NO difference at all; same here 340 ISB and 2500 MH.

I can't remember does your mode button work? If so did you have to get FL to re-program the tranny?

Thanks

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Boo are you saying that when you push the mode button the red light does not come on? There is also a program called diagnostics that needs to be turned on to give you transmission fluid information. I'm wondering if that is the confusion. The mode button is only a slight change in the shift points. If I had to guess I would say it drops the shift by 200 rpm. When you are going down the highway at 62 - 63 it will go into 6 gear at a lower RPM with the mode button on meaning the red light is lit. It will change the shift points for all 6 gears. If your red light does not com on you may have a LED burned out. I think a call to Allison may be a good idea. My 2011 390RB 340 chassis was made in Oct 2010 and has mode function but not diagnostics and it would be cost prohibitive to try to add it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo are you saying that when you push the mode button the red light does not come on? There is also a program called diagnostics that needs to be turned on to give you transmission fluid information. I'm wondering if that is the confusion. The mode button is only a slight change in the shift points. If I had to guess I would say it drops the shift by 200 rpm. When you are going down the highway at 62 - 63 it will go into 6 gear at a lower RPM with the mode button on meaning the red light is lit. It will change the shift points for all 6 gears. If your red light does not com on you may have a LED burned out. I think a call to Allison may be a good idea. My 2011 390RB 340 chassis was made in Oct 2010 and has mode function but not diagnostics and it would be cost prohibitive to try to add it.

I've read about the diagnostics thing (hold down both arrows at once, I think) to read trans temp, oil levels, etc. But I've not tried it yet.

I have the mode BUTTON but the light never comes on and I also notice no change in the shift points no matter how many times I push it. In my mind 200 RPM difference is quite significant.

I typically drive at about 59 or so (to keep the MPG up) but at that speed I can't get out of 5th. Mine doesn't shift to 6th until around 68 MPH.
Sorry for always mentioning trucks, but in a standard 10 speed (manual) truck tranny each gear is exactly 300 RPM apart; that's why I feel that a 200 RPM change in shift points is quite a lot.

Boowho??