Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

Freightliner's take on the mode button

Got this message from FL support in Gaffney. It seems to indicate that MORE than just re-programming will be needed to enable the economy mode.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the mode button, the
unit will need to go to a Freightliner dealer. Have the Freightliner dealer
call FCCC. The actual shifter will have to be replaced, the shifter will
have updated calibration that will address the mode function.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone that has the mode enable WITHOUT replacing the shifter, please let me know. I already have the mode button so maybe he didn't understand that part of it.

Editorial Comment: How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Editorial Comment: How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!

Boowho??

It seems pretty dumb to me to. While it seems to be ok in an automatic car with a shifter you physically grab and position it always leaves me pushing the wrong button on the pad, don't know why.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Boo-
I think you are correct when you say that you don't think they understood what you were saying. Did you try calling the Freightliner help line? In not, maybe you should give that a try. I think it is 1800 FTL-HELP

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
..How dumb is it that the R button is at the FRONT of the shifter, while the D button is toward the REAR? Seems bass-ackwards to me!!Boowho??
Seems to me that that's the way it's been since they started labeling shift patterns until they came out with console shift 4 speeds std shifts in the mid-late 50's.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
It seems pretty dumb to me to. While it seems to be ok in an automatic car with a shifter you physically grab and position it always leaves me pushing the wrong button on the pad, don't know why.
Ya know, thinking about a car shifter, we have gotten used to the p-r-n-d-l pattern for so many years it seems perfectly natural.

But with the buttons it seem weird; I always have to think about it for a second or so, before I press the button. I instinctively want to push the wrong one. Maybe that will go away once I've driven it for awhile.

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo-
I think you are correct when you say that you don't think they understood what you were saying. Did you try calling the Freightliner help line? In not, maybe you should give that a try. I think it is 1800 FTL-HELP

Tom
I sure hope you are right. My shifter panel already has mode button, and I'll bet having to replace that whole assembly would be VERY pricey.

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Economy Mode

boowho

Does this go back to the thread you started 6 January 2013? If so what's the difference between my 2008 360QS with a 340 ISB Cummins and Allison 2500 MH and your unit?

Good luck,
ARAE51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
boowho

Does this go back to the thread you started 6 January 2013? If so what's the difference between my 2008 360QS with a 340 ISB Cummins and Allison 2500 MH and your unit?

Good luck,
ARAE51
Yes it does.... I should think NO difference at all; same here 340 ISB and 2500 MH.

I can't remember does your mode button work? If so did you have to get FL to re-program the tranny?

Thanks

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #9

Boo are you saying that when you push the mode button the red light does not come on? There is also a program called diagnostics that needs to be turned on to give you transmission fluid information. I'm wondering if that is the confusion. The mode button is only a slight change in the shift points. If I had to guess I would say it drops the shift by 200 rpm. When you are going down the highway at 62 - 63 it will go into 6 gear at a lower RPM with the mode button on meaning the red light is lit. It will change the shift points for all 6 gears. If your red light does not com on you may have a LED burned out. I think a call to Allison may be a good idea. My 2011 390RB 340 chassis was made in Oct 2010 and has mode function but not diagnostics and it would be cost prohibitive to try to add it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo are you saying that when you push the mode button the red light does not come on? There is also a program called diagnostics that needs to be turned on to give you transmission fluid information. I'm wondering if that is the confusion. The mode button is only a slight change in the shift points. If I had to guess I would say it drops the shift by 200 rpm. When you are going down the highway at 62 - 63 it will go into 6 gear at a lower RPM with the mode button on meaning the red light is lit. It will change the shift points for all 6 gears. If your red light does not com on you may have a LED burned out. I think a call to Allison may be a good idea. My 2011 390RB 340 chassis was made in Oct 2010 and has mode function but not diagnostics and it would be cost prohibitive to try to add it.

I've read about the diagnostics thing (hold down both arrows at once, I think) to read trans temp, oil levels, etc. But I've not tried it yet.

I have the mode BUTTON but the light never comes on and I also notice no change in the shift points no matter how many times I push it. In my mind 200 RPM difference is quite significant.

I typically drive at about 59 or so (to keep the MPG up) but at that speed I can't get out of 5th. Mine doesn't shift to 6th until around 68 MPH.
Sorry for always mentioning trucks, but in a standard 10 speed (manual) truck tranny each gear is exactly 300 RPM apart; that's why I feel that a 200 RPM change in shift points is quite a lot.

Boowho??
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #11

Boo I totally agree and can't imagine why your MH would not have it. I still think a call to Allison may help. If I remember correctly yours and mine where made about the same time.
Allison Transmission

This link tells you what Transmission you have. I don't know what help this is because it does not say "you have econ mode programed" If you want to check yours to mine my transmission serial number is 6311021240. Maybe comparing the two might help.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #12

Allison Technical Assistance Center 800 252 5283

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #13

The plot thickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Allison Technical Assistance Center 800 252 5283

Sure is fun...... I think I've found the reason that FL of AZ seemed very taken aback about re-programming the Allison 2500 MH tranny.

It apparently takes a certain hardware box that very few shops keep around. Allison hot line (thanks Phil) gave me the names of several dealers in the Tucson area, and none of them have the necessary hardware box.

So...... Just keep searching I guess....... If anyone has had their tranny re-programmed, please tell me the dealer that did it.

Boo
Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #14

Boo,
So are you saying that you don't have the 'mode' function on your 2500 trans? I thought that it was part of the Allison transmissions that were put in our chassis. I will have to take a closer look next time I take my coach out and check it out.
Tom

Boo,
Take a look at page 23. This indicates that the 'mode' function is built into the 2500 trans.
Tom

http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #15

Boo,
See if the link I posted above helps.
Tom

Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
So are you saying that you don't have the 'mode' function on your 2500 trans? I thought that it was part of the Allison transmissions that were put in our chassis. I will have to take a closer look next time I take my coach out and check it out.
Tom

Boo,
Take a look at page 23. This indicates that the 'mode' function is built into the 2500 trans.
Tom

http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf

No, no..... I DO have the function; I just can't use it. The tranny and the shifter haven't been "taught" to "work and play well it others".

According to Allison CS, EVERY 2500 MH goes out the door with the CAPABILITY of a "secondary shift pattern" (mode). It's up to FL to program it (enable it) when they build the chassis. For some reason they didn't do it on mine (probably a Monday morning or Friday afternoon chassis)!!

The shifter (up front) contains the actual mode button as you know. In my case that shifter is made by Arens (OEM'ed); although it's branded as Freightliner on the bezel.

So yes, I my tranny is mode capable, my shifter has the button but the tranny has never been told to "pay attention" to the mode button.

The whole set up is known as a "shift by wire" system BTW. There are no mechanical linkages from the where you sit back to the engine (at least for shifting). It's all done with electricity.

I guess I'm making too big a deal on this, but again I like to keep my RPMs down as much as possible unless pulling a pretty good hill. And with fuel at $4 per gallon, an extra 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 MPH is a 10 per cent increase. I also want get into 6th gear at around 62 MPH; not 68.

And as far as trying out yours, you should be able to just start the coach in neutral and press the mode button. If the little red light comes on you have it.

Thanks for the link and your interest in my problem. I'd already downloaded that PDF file. Some good stuff in there, eh?

Boo
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #17

Good news / Bad news

Hopefully this is the FINAL answer on this thing......

Bad news:

In desperation I contacted Arens, the maker of the shifter push button box. They back-up FL's contention that the shifter will have to be replaced. Can NOT be re-programmed in the field.

Good news:

FL says they will replace the shifter under warranty. Fingers crossed that they are serious. I have it in an email for proof, so SHOULD be good to go.

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boowho??
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

Good news. It's always nice to get a problem resolved and to know the people you trusted with your investment will stand behind their product.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #19

I'm gonna go check mine. On our last trip I couldn't get the tranny to shift into 6th. I guess my speed was too slow. great conversation! Frank
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #20

I guess I'm a little late to the party.

I have the mode button and as Phil57 states, it changes the shift point to lower RPM's. In economy mode at 60 mph I'm in 6th gear and I get about 1/2 MPG more than when I'm in normal mode.

When I go through mountains I do not run in economy mode.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote