Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Fresh Water Tank Mystery

I "believe" my fresh water tank is possessed. For months now and possibly last year, when I am hooked to city water, my fresh water tank fills slowly. I originally thought that air was somehow getting into the tank and pushing all of the water over to the passenger side where the level indicators are. I had a technician look at it recently and he took the air escape valve off and it was not plugged. He did shorten the air relief line so it could "drain" easier. I drained the tank below the air escape line, but today I noticed that water was coming out of the line. The tank was full again. I also noticed water in the compartment and it was coming from the hose that is used to pump antifreeze into the lines.

So my questions are: 1) Anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it? 2) Could water from the City Water line near the water pump be feeding back through the pump into the fresh water tank?

Any insight would be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Common problem
Solution that usually works.

Disconnect city water line.
Open one hot and cold faucet until pressure is released
Assuming you still have some water in FW tank
turn on pump and allow water to run for a few seconds.
Shut off faucets
Shut off pump.
reconnect city water.

The reverse flow valve in the pump can seat incorrectly if water pump and city water both on or can pick up a piece of debris. This should clear it and re-seat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
I "believe" my fresh water tank is possessed. For months now and possibly last year, when I am hooked to city water, my fresh water tank fills slowly. I originally thought that air was somehow getting into the tank and pushing all of the water over to the passenger side where the level indicators are. I had a technician look at it recently and he took the air escape valve off and it was not plugged. He did shorten the air relief line so it could "drain" easier. I drained the tank below the air escape line, but today I noticed that water was coming out of the line. The tank was full again. I also noticed water in the compartment and it was coming from the hose that is used to pump antifreeze into the lines.

So my questions are: 1) Anyone else had this issue and if so how did you fix it? 2) Could water from the City Water line near the water pump be feeding back through the pump into the fresh water tank?

Any insight would be appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #3

For the City Water and Pump to supply the same MH water circuit, they both must have one-way valve. I suspect that the pump incorporates the one way valve internally. Flybob might have a good idea to clear any particles that may be keeping the pump's valve from working properly. I also suspect that if Flybob's method doesn't work; that you may need a new pump.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

This was happening to me also (2013 390BH-60). I tried several solutions, but the one way valve would not cooperate. I finally had the pump replaced under warranty. (The one way valve is built into the pump).

It has happened again, but using Flybobs procedure it would clear up.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
I "believe" my fresh water tank is possessed. For months now and possibly last year, when I am hooked to city water, my fresh water tank fills slowly.
Probably something else, but it's remotely possible that during outside temps between 20 and 30 degrees your Girard GSWH-1 (Gen-1 model) freeze protection solenoid was allowing hot water to dump into your FW tank.

If you have a Gen Model -1M (dial type), there is no solenoid, but the heater just comes on below 38F and turns off above 58F - no flow of HW.

If you have the Gen-1, have you heard the water pump and/or HWH come on by itself at night in cold weather?

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank