Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Fridge and Water Heater help

On the 10 gallon water heater, is there any way to check electrical problems from outside the coach? How do I remove the electric heating element??

I mentioned earlier that every time I tried the electric side, the main circuit breaker popped. Do I have to crawl under the sink?? It's pretty cramped in there and DARK too!!

My Dometic 4 door fridge will not keep running on propane while on the road driving. Is this on purpose (for safety reasons) or is the flame being blown out?? If on purpose, can it be over-ridden?? My food is starting to spoil, since after 8 hours of driving the fridge temp is in the high 50's.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #2

On Auto my 4dr fridge on our 390RB starts out ok and seems to light up on gas when disconnecting shore power but always blew out (I assume -- the light would be blinking at some point going down the road and didnt seem to stay cool) so now I manually switch it over via the LP gas button to gas when heading out and it has seemed to stay lit and functioning ok while driving. I do wish these were a 3 way fridge with battery option instead though.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

1. To remove the electrical element you need the correct size wrench, we found one at the local plumbing supply store for about 7 bucks. You will have to remove the gas burner tube and then the black cover, (3 screws) then remove the two wire leads and using the wrench take out element.
2. We thought we had a bad element, and found out it was the on/off switch. Took the switch out and tested and found it did not work, bought a new one and now have electric hot water.

There is only a few things that can go wrong with the electric side of the water heater.
Element, breaker, thermostate or switch. You can change all of them with out taking out the water heater.

With you breaker tripping, would recomend you check you switch on the outside of the hot water heater.

Have no idea on the fridge, ours stays on while driving
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

You can add a small piece of roofing tin to make a wind block for your refrigerator. If you need to replace the element this video may help.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
You can add a small piece of roofing tin to make a wind block for your refrigerator. If you need to replace the element this video may help.
Thanks all.... Have replaced the WH element and it seems to be working.

Will work on the fridge next.

Boowho??
Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
On Auto my 4dr fridge on our 390RB starts out ok and seems to light up on gas when disconnecting shore power but always blew out (I assume -- the light would be blinking at some point going down the road and didnt seem to stay cool) so now I manually switch it over via the LP gas button to gas when heading out and it has seemed to stay lit and functioning ok while driving. I do wish these were a 3 way fridge with battery option instead though.
I've advised the DW to set it manually. We'll see if that helps. Otherwise we'll add a baffle of some sort to prevent it from blowing out.

Boowho??
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

That has worked for us - who knows why but it does. If you end up having to rig up a baffle let us know how and what you ended up having to do.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjracsj View Post
That has worked for us - who knows why but it does. If you end up having to rig up a baffle let us know how and what you ended up having to do.

Will do.

Boowho??