Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #11

Marty that's a good idea. I'll wait and have them look at it first. I sure wish someone could give be a review on the Amish mod. It's expensive but cheaper than a residential.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #12

What is involved with the Amish mod. I am not familiar with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

From what I understand they replace all the coils and burner everything is new except the box. It's supposed to work better and still have the two fuel advantage.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #14

Sounds interesting. Would assume they still use the ammonia evaporation method. I wonder what is different from the Dometic set up

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #15

We were in Florida the past two weeks and running the fridge on electric would keep the fridge cool during the evening, but it would warm a little. We switched parks after the first week and the with the generator running and the fridge on electric, it would warm to 38 - 40 degrees while traveling.

We headed back to PA today and I switched the fridge to gas for the trip home and it kept at a steady 38 while it should be at 34.

Not sure what the deal is, almost feel as if we should take the plunge and install the residential fridge. All the coaches come this way...
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #16

You said you had two fans. Are they ones you added or the ones that came with the frig install? Ventilation for slide mount frigs is bad as the vent is on the side and not top. I would add fans right at the upper vent cover to pull the heat out from the back of the frig. If you have not done this you will find it will make a big difference. Add a thermal switch to the burner coil to control the fan on.off. It has allowed me to run my frig at half its setting.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #17

Silver
Thanks for the feedback. The two fans are original. I believe they are just above the burner But I don't remember. Maybe I will add a fan to see how it works.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

If you go that way here is the link to the thermal switch. Choose the 45 degree C option

5pcs KSD301 Thermostat Normal Open NO Temperature Thermal Temp Control Switch

I would put two 6 inch computer fans and build a en-closer duct around them with foam board from the dollar store to ensure that all the air from the fans is forced out the top vent.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #19

Brand New Rig, Dometic Fridge Not Working !!

I hope this will help anybody experiencing this. We headed out 4 hrs. from home. Got set up at Mother Neff State Park. All was good, but our Dometic Fridge in our brand new Rockwood would not come on. We called the park office, but no luck. We called several mobile techs, but no luck. We finally packed up and started the long drive home. This morning we called a Dometic Mobile Tech. He told us on the phone that it sounded like " Dirty Power ". He said to disconnect the negative from the battery, and any shore power and wait 5 minutes before reconnecting. We did this, and everything was good. In the meantime, I have ordered a better Surge Guard to let us know there is " Dirty Power ".
Old 07-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #20

Dometic Performance Deterioration

Marty,

We aren't quite as far along on the Dometic set-point deterioration on our 2013 as Phil57 is, but our IR gun (and our ice cream) are both showing a progressive deterioration in performance after two-and-a half seasons.

If you can recommend a Dometic dealership (other than a dealer or Camping World, who are both sales-oriented), I'd appreciate it. We are looking longingly at a left-over Anthem, but that is not going to happen.

As an alternative, I am considering a residential upgrade. If can ever figure out how to get at the Dometic unit (how to remove the wooden paneling around it without damaging the adjoining woodwork too badly), and find a make and model replacement that will work, I'll probably spring for that. Also, new (and taller) AGM batteries.

Also, there is the problem Hank pointed out - how to pipe the heat exhaust out of the bus; the Dometic sheds it heat out the back next to the external vents in the slide, and the residential units shed the heat at the front bottom, into the interior.

Allen

BTW, don't forget: the bigger inverter needs to also be a pure sine-wave inverter, to prevent motor overheating and shortened operating life of components.

Tags
fridge