Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Front license plate

State of Ohio requires a front plate along with the rear. I don't really want to throw it on the dash.

Does anyone know where I can get a plate bracket that will mount on the front of the MH ?

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

I bought one from autozone and installed it on the front generator slide. Drilled two holes and mounted it with no issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1419266258.483751.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	67749

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

That looks good !! Auto zone, here I come......
Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

I choose to live on the edge regarding ohio's flp. I just can't drill holes in the front of my berk.

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
2014 Jeep Rubicon unlimited Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt1014 View Post
I choose to live on the edge regarding ohio's flp. I just can't drill holes in the front of my berk.

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
Look at the bright side....it will keep the bugs off that small section of the front
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

ThT is one positive way to look at it. Lol

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt1014 View Post

2014 Berkshire 400bh.

I hear ya!! Wasn't easy drilling into my 14 berk either!! Unfortunately VA police will pull you over for just about anything and I didn't want to take the chance.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

I drilled holes into the front of my '08 Berkshire and told my self that I wouldn't do the same on my '14. So, I just put the front plate on the front dash standing up against the windshield. I bought a couple of suction cup hooks and removed the metal hooks. I pushed the stub on the suction cup through the hole on the license plate and suctioned it to the windshield. So far, so good.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I drilled holes into the front of my '08 Berkshire and told my self that I wouldn't do the same on my '14. So, I just put the front plate on the front dash standing up against the windshield. I bought a couple of suction cup hooks and removed the metal hooks. I pushed the stub on the suction cup through the hole on the license plate and suctioned it to the windshield. So far, so good.
I'm liking the sound of that. I think I will try it. Thanks !
Old 12-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
State of Ohio requires a front plate along with the rear. I don't really want to throw it on the dash.

Does anyone know where I can get a plate bracket that will mount on the front of the MH ?

Thanks,
Ken
I know what the Ohio law says. At one Local Municipal parking lot there was (1 Corvette) (1Trans Am) (1BMW) with only the rear (Personalized Plate). There were (3) Pickup Trucks with Front plates though,one plate said (John Deere) another said (UK Wildcats) and one said (Firefighter)! Dealer plates only require (1) rear plate? They try to tell you it is for (ID),I have NEVER seen a (Bank robber,Gas station drive away,Hit and Run,Ect. (BACK AWAY) from the Scene! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I know what the Ohio law says. At one Local Municipal parking lot there was (1 Corvette) (1Trans Am) (1BMW) with only the rear (Personalized Plate). There were (3) Pickup Trucks with Front plates though,one plate said (John Deere) another said (UK Wildcats) and one said (Firefighter)! Dealer plates only require (1) rear plate? They try to tell you it is for (ID),I have NEVER seen a (Bank robber,Gas station drive away,Hit and Run,Ect. (BACK AWAY) from the Scene! Youroo!!
BUT ....

150 people can get away with it and I am ALWAYS the one that gets caught
Old 12-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

Drilling into a new coach is "fun," but once the plate is on you won't care. Take a couple minutes to line it up centered and straight and carry on. A couple of strips of masking tape gives you a surface to mark your holes and should reduce risk of splintering. Measure twice, cut once.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #13

To make me feel a little better, I out rubber washers between the plate and paint. No one will ever see behind the paint, but I'm the OCD I guess!
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
I hear ya!! Wasn't easy drilling into my 14 berk either!! Unfortunately VA police will pull you over for just about anything and I didn't want to take the chance.

Jason
I have talked to a couple different Virginia State Troopers a tag not mounted on the front of the vehicle & laid on the dash will by you a ticket & can by you another if you don't fix it before you move again.

Actually one told me a loose tag on the dash is a more serious offense than not having one due to the hazard of it flying in an accident. Loose tags on the dash have killed occupants in an accident.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I have talked to a couple different Virginia State Troopers a tag not mounted on the front of the vehicle & laid on the dash will by you a ticket & can by you another if you don't fix it before you move again.

Actually one told me a loose tag on the dash is a more serious offense than not having one due to the hazard of it flying in an accident. Loose tags on the dash have killed occupants in an accident.

Just curious where the information that loose tags on the dash have killed occupants came from? How many ?

I investigated accidents for 25 years on the Cleveland police department and can't remember anyone even being cut or bruised by one.

I'm not trying to be a smart ***** here....I'm just curious about information like that.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Just curious where the information that loose tags on the dash have killed occupants came from? How many ?

I investigated accidents for 25 years on the Cleveland police department and can't remember anyone even being cut or bruised by one.

I'm not trying to be a smart ***** here....I'm just curious about information like that.
Just going by what the State Trooper told me........... According to him he tickets it when ever he sees it....... I was asking him if it was ok to put it in the window as the car in reference did not have a mounting frame & was extremely rare (I did not want to drill holes).........

I guess strange things happen....I just investigated where a 760 lb vault door fell & killed a woman. As she opened the vault door the pins fell out of the hinges........the door fell on her.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Just going by what the State Trooper told me........... According to him he tickets it when ever he sees it....... I was asking him if it was ok to put it in the window as the car in reference did not have a mounting frame & was extremely rare (I did not want to drill holes).........

I guess strange things happen....I just investigated where a 760 lb vault door fell & killed a woman. As she opened the vault door the pins fell out of the hinges........the door fell on her.
Okay. I knew guys like that in Cleveland too

Ouch !!!!

Thank you for the reply. Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #18

Hey, not to change the subject, but how much are you Ohio boys paying for plates these days?

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Hey, not to change the subject, but how much are you Ohio boys paying for plates these days?

Rich
Just renewed mine for ~ $70
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #20

I miss Ohio. $857 for my 2014 Berk, on top of outrageous insurance fee add ons (Michigan)

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote