Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Front power shades wiring

Well, in an attempt to trace down the source of my leak, I dissembled the entire upper decorative overhead panel just behind the windshield. Sadly, the front power shade assembly crashed to the dashboard ripping all the wiring out.

I have 5 wires, but they are not color code for easy re-connection. Anyone know the manufacturer of that shade?? Or better yet the proper wiring connections??

BTW, I know look like a pretzel after having to contort my body to get al the screws out. I think I'm lucky I didn't punch the windshield out with my weight!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

Bill,
Can't help with the wiring. I hope someone here can because I would like to know about the wiring as well- just in case.

Were you able to see where the leak is and if it can be easily fixed?

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

Bill what do you need? I can try to take some pictures if you need the switch wires.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Cyclone

The power shades are made by MCD. Their website is pretty good and does include the installation instructions.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Cyclone

Boo,

Attached is the link to the MCD owners / installation manual. This is what mine are, I assume yours are the same.

http://mcdinnovations.com/downloads/...5-download.pdf

Here is the link to MCD's owners manual page that will get you the rest of their information.

Owners Manual - Public

I hope this helps.

If you haven't found your leak yet, the side shade guides will also come off by removing the screws under the button caps. A lot of wiring and the A/C drain line routes through this area. There could be the possibility that the sealant in that area needs attention.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beipers View Post
The power shades are made by MCD. Their website is pretty good and does include the installation instructions.
Thanks all...... I opened the switch near the passenger's right elbow, and THINK I've deduced that there is a single ground wire and two hot wires for each shade; hence five wires. I suspect that the two hot wires for a single roll is one for up one for down.

I'll try that first and also visit the MCD website. Will post here in a few days once I get it all back together.

Thanks all...... Ain't the co-operation here WONDERFUL????

Boowho??
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Bill,
Can't help with the wiring. I hope someone here can because I would like to know about the wiring as well- just in case.

Were you able to see where the leak is and if it can be easily fixed?

Tom
Tom, I flooded the front part of the roof whilst the DW watched for water inside. The seam between the front end cap and the main roof had some caulk deterioration on the far left side, just above the drivers window. That is wear we found the leak.

Planning on putting it all back together tomorrow, but not until I flood the whole roof again to make sure it's now water tight.

In all honesty, I think the leak may actually have been there for quite some time; but until the sponge material in the headliner was completely saturated, none of it ran out. In spite of this, there was STILL no mold/mildew present.

Boowho??
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Bill good that you could find the leak they can be hard to find. You got lucky that there was no damage. We had a speak in the same area that FR found. They recaulked and said to watch that area. I guess I should get in the ladder and check it out.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Tom, I flooded the front part of the roof whilst the DW watched for water inside. The seam between the front end cap and the main roof had some caulk deterioration on the far left side, just above the drivers window. That is wear we found the leak.

Planning on putting it all back together tomorrow, but not until I flood the whole roof again to make sure it's now water tight.

In all honesty, I think the leak may actually have been there for quite some time; but until the sponge material in the headliner was completely saturated, none of it ran out. In spite of this, there was STILL no mold/mildew present.

Boowho??

I just fixed a leak in the same spot. There was about 1/4" gap where water could just flow right under the front cap. It would drip down into the cabinets over the dash and run down inside the new window frame which replaced the old noisy one. I thought for a long time that the water was a result of that frame leaking. For good measure I also had them put a bead of the roof rubber along the rear cap.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Joker and Boohoo. Would you mind taking a picture of the area that you found the leak. If a little lap caulk would fix a problem before someone had to tear out the front trim it would be helpful. Thanks Phil

Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Joker and Boohoo. Would you mind taking a picture of the area that you found the leak. If a little lap caulk would fix a problem before someone had to tear out the front trim it would be helpful. Thanks Phil
Picture coming to the Leaks!! thread in the next day or so. I spent about 30 minutes this AM typing up a LONG diatribe on the problem and how to fix it.

When I clicked SUBMIT the server threw an error and I lost everything.

Other than the defogging fans still needing to be put back, I'm finished.

Boowho??
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Good news Bill. Looking forward to seeing your handy work.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Picture coming to the Leaks!! thread in the next day or so. I spent about 30 minutes this AM typing up a LONG diatribe on the problem and how to fix it.

When I clicked SUBMIT the server threw an error and I lost everything.

Other than the defogging fans still needing to be put back, I'm finished.

Boowho??
Bill,
30 minutes typing how to do the fix!! That took almost as long as long as doing the fix!!

Seriously, happy to hear that you were able to get things back in shape.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, wiring