Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

Front TV

My 2008 Berk has the front tv mounted up over the dash... What a stupid way to mount a tv - totally enclosed with only a tiny little sliver of an opening up by the windshield....

Absolutely impossible to get to the rear of the tv so if I wanted to replace the A/V cable I'm totally screwed.... Can't take the trim off the front to get to it and unless you have 5' arms you can't reach into the opening..... So I'm open to suggestions as to how some of you solved this problem....

Why they didn't put an access panel up there is beyond me....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

There is an access panel in the cabinets next to the tv. At least there were in my 390BH
RVNVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

You would think they'd make the panels so they could be removed BUT NOOOOOO.... The panel in the cabinet over the steering wheel was constructed like this - both L and R side panels were screwed/tacked in and THEN the top and bottom we're screwed/nailed in which makes removing the side panels impossible.... Haven't cked the panels in cabinet in front if passenger but odds are that its the same.....

I'll probably just cut an opening in cabinet over driver and fix it so it's a removable section.... Why wouldn't they do that at factory??? Simple to do when ur putting cabinets together.... I guess that just makes way toooo much sense.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

If you are going to cut an access hole, maybe you might want to consider the passenger side as the DVD player is on that side, should there ever be a need to replace.

NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #5

I believe the A/V cables plug into the TV on the driver's side is why I thought there would be best.... I'll make sure before cutting tho....

Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

ernest917,
Please keep us all up to date on this. My 2008 360 QS has the same setup. I want to use the available connections on the back rather than try to go through the DVD player. Post pictures if you can, I'm sure there are is lot of interest in this. And, yes it is a foolish way to do the install. My TV is an OLEVIA and there is a slot in the bottom part by the windshields, however as I said in other posts this is no place for 300 lb. people to try to access.
Once again, please keep us posted, thanks.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

AREA51....

There is absolutely no way - none, nada, zero - way to get to the back of that stupid TV.... I removed the panel behind the tv (for all the good that does because you can't get to the back of the TV; can't get you head into a position to even see behind the TV even if your sitting up on the dash....) In addition, you can't remove the wooden trim around the front of the TV either....

I considered cutting into the sidewall of either of the compartments on either side of the TV BUT I discovered that the geniuses built the padded unit that the TV sits in and then attached it to a steel frame. Then they built the side cabinets and attached them to the padded unit so I'd have to cut through the compartment wall and then the padded unit wall while avoiding the steel braces the padded compartment is attached to.... If this TV ever goes out I have no idea how to replace it other than taking my coach to an RV shop and paying crazy prices to have them replace it for me...

I guess I could cut through the bottom of the padded compartment but that would be a really ugly situation..... Soooo - I guess I'm stuck like chuck !!!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #8

From November 2013

From front tv access in June, JBOYER replied

Speedmerchant,

Our original Westinghouse flat screen in our 2008 started giving up the ghost so we actually put a new tv in a couple weeks ago. So, I wish I could tell you the front tv is mounted the same way as the back, but that would be UNTRUE. Actually, the four screws through the wooden frame only hold the wooden frame. Having worked with a couple fellas from the assembly line, they walked me through the process. I'll try to be brief.

1. remove the screws from the plastic windshield curtain track till near the corners of the coach.

2. standing at the tv - looking forward and up, you'll notice 3 covered trim panels.

3. Remove the center trim panel by uncovering the button screws and pulling down. (NOTE: If you have the electric driver and passenger shades, those have to come down too so that the center panel can be removed)

4. Once the center panel is out, you will need sit on the dash and slide your arm in that small opening. That is all the room you are going to have.

5. The Westinghouse tv is attached with 8 M7 bolts. The top 4 are obvious - there are 4 more that are on the bottom, I could not see them, only by feel did I find them.

6. Once all 8 screws are out - the tv is free.

A couple hours - not hard, but tedious. I'm not a small guy...

I have not had the pleasure of doing this myself, however someone evidently has.

NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

That's great but a real pain in the butt to do just to replace an A/V cable....

Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #10

I had the same complaint. I finally cut an access hole in the bottom of the cabinet. Cut the material, cut the hole then had a friend make me a cherry wood picture frame that I fastened to the box. It's not bad but at least I have access now. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

jrlebaron...

Pictures???

Old 06-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #12

Sorry never figured out how to post pictures. Jim
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #13

Ernest, you should just read a book instead!

Greetings, friend!

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebaron View Post
Sorry never figured out how to post pictures. Jim
It's pretty easy. Assuming you are using the full site and not one of the apps on a phone or tablet, simply scroll down under the reply box to the "Additional options".

Click the button that says "Manage attachments" and that will let you attach pictures from your computer.

If you use something like photobucket just click the "insert image" button above the reply box. Looks like this:
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #15

Ok thanks