Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Fuel filter service on 2015 XL 360HP

Recently I had the fuel filters changed during a recent oil change. What happened when the tech unscrewed the water separator I honestly have never witnessed what happened and I have changed a lot of filters without issue. Once the filter was removed fuel continued to flow. Because the new separator did not come with the plastic bowl and had to be removed first and then reinstalled on the new filter housing this allowed almost 2 1/2 gals to flow into his catch pan. I contacted FL and they replied immediately that this is a common occurrence because the filters are below the tank and gravity will syphon out of the tank once you remove the filters. They indicated I should install a valve on the fuel line from the tank. My first reaction was if this is a common occurrence why don't they install this valve on the chassis I guess high end units does include such a valve. Have any of you installed such a valve or experienced this happening.

Wayne
Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Some of us have bought a spare plastic Bowl to help with that problem.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

It's a maintenance chore that I have never done...for that very reason. I can see Installing the cutoff might be messy too.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Some of us have bought a spare plastic Bowl to help with that problem.

Dan I bought the filters from crosspoint and it didn't come with the bowl for some reason. I only change fuel filters every 2 years so have time to work out the details.

Wayne
Old 04-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
It's a maintenance chore that I have never done...for that very reason. I can see Installing the cutoff might be messy too.

I plan to see if I can compress the hose enough to shut off flow. If not fuel I'll have to wait for low fuel level in tank.

Wayne
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Dan I bought the filters from crosspoint and it didn't come with the bowl for some reason. I only change fuel filters every 2 years so have time to work out the details.

Wayne
Yeah they don't come with the bowl. And the bowl his somewhat hard to find. I'll see if I can find the part numbers again.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

I got quite a surprise and 'bath' with diesel fuel the first time I changed the filters. The Freightliner tech is correct in that the fuel will continue to flow out once the filter is removed. As Dan mentioned, I too bought an extra bowl that I put on the new filter when changing the filters. Don't lose too much fuel that way but now a days I usually have someone else change the filters for me. 2 years ago at the International Rally there was a vendor who came to my coach during the rally and changed the filters for me for a nominal charge using my filters.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

I had a Gulfstream FRED with a 300 cummin's it did the same thing. So I thought this might happen so I was ready with a filter and bulb.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Would loosening the gas cap help? On my Ford F-250 they recommend loosening the gas cap when changing the filter. It helps to break the suction on the line.
5hfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hfarms View Post
Would loosening the gas cap help? On my Ford F-250 they recommend loosening the gas cap when changing the filter. It helps to break the suction on the line.
Hello 5h. Not really a suction issue, more of an issue with the filter being lower than the tank. I believe if you were to loosen the fuel cap it might even increase flow a bit. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

I purchased an additional amber bowl. At freight liner they are cheap and it was in stock . Gives you a spare incase you hit road debris and when changing separator you can prep the new filter prior to changing. Makes it very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Hello 5h. Not really a suction issue, more of an issue with the filter being lower than the tank. I believe if you were to loosen the fuel cap it might even increase flow a bit. -Glenn
Totally agree, would make matters worse.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #13

Have not changed the filters myself, however I understand that the filters should be charged with fuel to enable the engine to start without a lot of cranking after making the filter change.

To those that changed their filters; has priming the filters been a problem?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Totally agree, would make matters worse.

Joe when service guy arrived he took cap off filler I questioned him why he did that his only answer was that is what he was told to do. I truly think it only made it worse.

Wayne
Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Joe when service guy arrived he took cap off filler I questioned him why he did that his only answer was that is what he was told to do. I truly think it only made it worse.

Wayne
Wayne,
Hmmm,maybe with the system closed they feel that there could be the chance of getting a series of air pockets in the line from the chugging effect you get like when pouring liquid from a can with and without a vent hole. Interesting !

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Have not changed the filters myself, however I understand that the filters should be charged with fuel to enable the engine to start without a lot of cranking after making the filter change.

To those that changed their filters; has priming the filters been a problem?

Hank the fuel was coming out so fast that once he installed the separator it filled itself. The other filter he filled with fuel.
I was told by freightliner that there is a primer button on the top of the separator I have not verified that yet.

Wayne
Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Hank the fuel was coming out so fast that once he installed the separator it filled itself. The other filter he filled with fuel.
I was told by freightliner that there is a primer button on the top of the separator I have not verified that yet.

Wayne
I was told that when filling a filter with fuel that might be dirty, you need to pour the fuel into the input side of the filter. I believe that the input to the filter is around the edge and not the center.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

Yes there is a primer above the filer. On mine it has a red cover in it. Remove the cover and there is the primer button.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #19

Is that button a primer or does it stop the fuel from flowing when changing the filter? I was at a shop once having the filters changed and I asked the tech how he keeps from getting a bath in diesel fuel when changing the filter. He said that there is a red button the he pushes and it stops the flow of fuel. Sounds like it is the same button. I have not verified this myself but it sounds reasonable.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #20

Fuel filter service on 2015 XL 360HP

Above the separator you see the red cover. It's a plastic cover. Under that is a primer button. It takes quite a few pushes to prime it correctly when you change the separator and the filter at the same time. I pre fill them both with fresh fuel prior to installing. Hope that visual helps.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461091769.418575.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  82.8 KB

Tags
service