Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

fuel filter upgrades?

klucas' thread on fuel filter part numbers got me thinking about this...

for those that do their own maintenance, do you buy the standard replacement part, or have you upgraded the filter to something better? whether it be a simple replacement filter that has better filtration (2mu vs the stock 10mu) or a completely better system that will protect your engine like the airdog or fass systems?

anyone have any experience with this on our chassis? i figured it would be the same as a dodge pickup truck running the ISB6.7 engine?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #2

I use all Baldwin filters. Better filtration than the OEM and a high quality filter company. Been using them for many years on all our mining equipment. The Baldwin Fuel/Water filter doesn't have the clear bowl on the bottom like the standard Alliance but it really isn't neccessary as it has the WIF sensor in it anyway so no need to see if there is water there. The sensor will tell you....yeah yeah I know don't trust electronics and all that but I haven't ever had water in fuel issues. Use Baldwin on the generator too, both fuel and oil.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
I use all Baldwin filters. Better filtration than the OEM and a high quality filter company. Been using them for many years on all our mining equipment. The Baldwin Fuel/Water filter doesn't have the clear bowl on the bottom like the standard Alliance but it really isn't neccessary as it has the WIF sensor in it anyway so no need to see if there is water there. The sensor will tell you....yeah yeah I know don't trust electronics and all that but I haven't ever had water in fuel issues. Use Baldwin on the generator too, both fuel and oil.

James
thanks for the baldwin reference. i haven't heard much about them other than they are a quality filter. when its time for my rig, i'll look more into their filters.

i think at minimum i want to go to a 2 micron filter. seems to be a safe bet and not too much money out.

i'll do some more research on the full upgrade units like airdog. i may go that route if it makes sense, especially if it can really protect the injectors like they claim.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote