Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

as ependydad said ... if using truck island to fuel, please pull forward so next individual can get fuel. put nozzle on half speed lock ( for lack of better term) so you lessen the chance of a spill or splash back. diesel islands are notorious for having spilled fuel, so try not to add to the problem.

jeepjl8 is correct about qt truck stops. they have limited parking if you need to grab a bite to eat or use the facilities, but the cleanliness both in the store and on the gas/diesel islands are hard to beat. plus, i have yet to see them charge you more for using credit as opposed to cash.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Speaking of spills and mess- I carry a pair of rubber coated gloves for fueling up. My first few times at truck pumps, I couldn't get the diesel fuel stink cleaned off - even with baby wipes!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
This is truly one of the PITA of going distances with out rig.

First off, with a 26 gallon tank, we have to stop A LOT!
We had a F250 with the little tank.
Take a look at this, it's called harpooning.
Do a google search for
"harpooning an F250"

Here's a good forum to join.
Harpoon The Tank? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I used post #8 when I harpooned our tank, the very BEST free DIY I've ever done!

"If you do this, you will need a $20 tubing cutter. This makes cutting the tube a snap. You want to also cut the fuel inlet tube as it extends down into the tank.
The way I did it:
1. Jack the left rear axel up, put a 2 ton jack stand under it.
2. Remove the left rear tire. This makes getting to the hoses a lot easier.
3. Put 2 jacks under the tank, front and year.
4. Remove the 3 screws securing the fill neck to the fender.
5. Loosen the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]hose [COLOR=blue !important]clamps[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at the filler neck and vent tube.
6. Remove the filler neck.
7. Loosen and remove tank retention straps.
8. Slowly lower tank as evenly as possible
9. Unhook the two vapor vent lines (not clamped).
10. Lower the tank until it is on the ground being careful that the fuel lines and sending unit cable are not damaged.
11. With a large [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]strap [COLOR=blue !important]wrench[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] ( I modified mine by substituting a length of fan belt) remove the large (6 in diameter) retaining nut holding the module containing the fuel pickup and the fuel gage sending unit.
12. Remove and tie this assembly out of the way in a safe place(I tied mine to the drive shaft). Leave the lines hooked up.
13. Carefully slide the tank through the opening at the left rear wheel if you have running boards.
14. Remove all diesel fuel by dipping with a dipper made from a milk carton or bottle. Put into a clean fuel container.
15. With a ratcheting [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]PVC [COLOR=blue !important]Pipe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] cutter, reaching inside the tank cut the vent tube within 1 of the top of the tank.
16. Reaching inside the tank, Cut off all but 1" from the vent line.. Remove the scraps.
17. Place the tank under the truck 6 to the left of where the tank goes.
18. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Install[/COLOR][/COLOR] the fuel pickup and sending unit module. Tighten retaining ring with strap wrench.
19. Place the jacks under the tank.
20. Carefully raise the tank, feeding the lines over the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]frame[/COLOR][/COLOR], watching the fuel module lines for trouble.
21. At this time connect the vapor vent lines that plug into the tank, front and rear. These have no clamps, just push fit.
22. Jack the tank all the way up in the rear.
23. Install the rear strap.
24. Move the front and move the tank around to suit your purpose make sure both hoses are in position.
25. Jack up tank in front to the top and install front strap.
26. Install hoses to filler neck.
27. Install three small screws in the filler neck.
28. Remove jacks from tank.
29. Jack up the axel, install the tire and remove the Jack stand.
30. Fill the tank with the diesel you removed."
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
We had a F250 with the little tank.
Take a look at this, it's called harpooning.
Do a google search for
"harpooning an F250"

Here's a good forum to join.
Harpoon The Tank? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I used post #8 when I harpooned our tank, the very BEST free DIY I've ever done!

"If you do this, you will need a $20 tubing cutter. This makes cutting the tube a snap. You want to also cut the fuel inlet tube as it extends down into the tank.
The way I did it:
1. Jack the left rear axel up, put a 2 ton jack stand under it.
2. Remove the left rear tire. This makes getting to the hoses a lot easier.
3. Put 2 jacks under the tank, front and year.
4. Remove the 3 screws securing the fill neck to the fender.
5. Loosen the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]hose [COLOR=blue !important]clamps[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at the filler neck and vent tube.
6. Remove the filler neck.
7. Loosen and remove tank retention straps.
8. Slowly lower tank as evenly as possible
9. Unhook the two vapor vent lines (not clamped).
10. Lower the tank until it is on the ground being careful that the fuel lines and sending unit cable are not damaged.
11. With a large [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]strap [COLOR=blue !important]wrench[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] ( I modified mine by substituting a length of fan belt) remove the large (6 in diameter) retaining nut holding the module containing the fuel pickup and the fuel gage sending unit.
12. Remove and tie this assembly out of the way in a safe place(I tied mine to the drive shaft). Leave the lines hooked up.
13. Carefully slide the tank through the opening at the left rear wheel if you have running boards.
14. Remove all diesel fuel by dipping with a dipper made from a milk carton or bottle. Put into a clean fuel container.
15. With a ratcheting [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]PVC [COLOR=blue !important]Pipe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] cutter, reaching inside the tank cut the vent tube within 1 of the top of the tank.
16. Reaching inside the tank, Cut off all but 1" from the vent line.. Remove the scraps.
17. Place the tank under the truck 6 to the left of where the tank goes.
18. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Install[/COLOR][/COLOR] the fuel pickup and sending unit module. Tighten retaining ring with strap wrench.
19. Place the jacks under the tank.
20. Carefully raise the tank, feeding the lines over the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]frame[/COLOR][/COLOR], watching the fuel module lines for trouble.
21. At this time connect the vapor vent lines that plug into the tank, front and rear. These have no clamps, just push fit.
22. Jack the tank all the way up in the rear.
23. Install the rear strap.
24. Move the front and move the tank around to suit your purpose make sure both hoses are in position.
25. Jack up tank in front to the top and install front strap.
26. Install hoses to filler neck.
27. Install three small screws in the filler neck.
28. Remove jacks from tank.
29. Jack up the axel, install the tire and remove the Jack stand.
30. Fill the tank with the diesel you removed."
ABJB, I don't get it. What is your point? Does this procedure give you an option for an external tank?
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
B47

My question also - is all this work solely for the purpose of being able to fill your tank a little faster?

Is this a legal mod?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
This is truly one of the PITA of going distances with out rig.

First off, with a 26 gallon tank, we have to stop A LOT!

My experience with Pilot/Flying J has been both good and truly miserably horrible. I think it comes down to individual stations and the clerks there. At different Pilot/Flying J in Kansas and Colorado my "RV" card never got a pump started. One clerk told my wife we could not buy fuel there unless we gave her a DOT number. Another told us the RV cards did not exist, and when I showed her mine then said they had been discontinued.

When I see a QT truck stop I always stop. they always know what they are doing and are clean.

We ended up trying to use smaller stations on the way back from Colorado and had good experiences. One such station in Salina, as soon as I got out of the truck I heard the pump kick on and zero out. put it in and started pumping. Gave my wife a box of chocolate covered raisins for paying in cash (as opposed to cash via debit card.)

AMEN to the note about QT truck stops. We used the one at the Lilac St. exit off of I-270 in north St. Louis 4 times on our recent trip. Its being remodeled right now and a small pain to walk to the building, but a great spot to refuel. Lots of room to get around, and specific islands for Auto diesel and RV's......and .55 cents cheaper than 3 or 4 miles away in Illinois.

THANKS QUIK TRIP.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
ABJB, I don't get it. What is your point? Does this procedure give you an option for an external tank?
It adds about 5 gallons. to the usable capacity of the tank.
Ford used the same tank in gas and diesel F2/350's, diesel doesn't expand as much as gas so you don't need a large expansion area.

Went from high 20's gal per fill to low 30's = 100 more miles unloaded or 50 towing per fill.

ab&jb
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
I think it comes down to individual stations and the clerks there. At different Pilot/Flying J in Kansas and Colorado my "RV" card never got a pump started. One clerk told my wife we could not buy fuel there unless we gave her a DOT number. Another told us the RV cards did not exist, and when I showed her mine then said they had been discontinued.
BINGO!!! Where there IS a problem, it's because either the b* has been poorly trained, is just plain too lazy to make the extra few keystrokes on the computer, or has an attitude.

I already have the Pilot loyalty card. I'm going to apply for the actual Pilot credit card immediately; I didn't know they offered one.

I've actually considered applying for a DOT "authority" number so I could order a ComData card. That's what the semi guys use and they are golden.

Boowho??
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
as ependydad said ... if using truck island to fuel, please pull forward so next individual can get fuel. put nozzle on half speed lock ( for lack of better term) so you lessen the chance of a spill or splash back. diesel islands are notorious for having spilled fuel, so try not to add to the problem.

jeepjl8 is correct about qt truck stops. they have limited parking if you need to grab a bite to eat or use the facilities, but the cleanliness both in the store and on the gas/diesel islands are hard to beat. plus, i have yet to see them charge you more for using credit as opposed to cash.

Are you an ex-trucker too??

Boowho??
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
So..... Anyone have any "magic trick" that will allow me to pull onto the truck island, insert my card, fill my tank and drive off without going inside and/or battling with the clerk regarding how much I can buy??

Boowho??
BooWho,

I "Pre-Pay" for the gas I used. With the advent of the Driver Information Center (DIC) and the cell phone with calculator, this is now REALLY easy.

Coasting into the gas station I switch the DIC to "Gallons Used" and multiply that number by the price per gallon off the pump.

Make sure you have the right pump number, walk in and prepay for what you used on the last leg. Reset the "Gas Used" to zero and you are ready for the next leg. Just remember to fill up completely and reset EVERY TIME since you won't know if you can use your Visa or MC until you get to the next gas station.

Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote