Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1

Fueling Options

Seems like (for me at least) pulling into a fueling location can be a real hassle. Mostly with how to pay. Using the truck islands at some (maybe all) major brands, you have to take your card in side and leave it while you fill up.

Even doing this, they really only want to sell you a given amount of fuel; like maybe 2-300 dollars worth. You just can't say "I'm going to fill it"; nor can you say (for example) $600 and then just get charged where the pump stops. This will get you (1) the old dear-in-the-headlights look or (2) a snotty comment from the clerk.

Then there's the issue of the RV islands vs the truck islands. It only takes 5-10 time the amount of time on the RV islands, since the hose nozzles are so small compared to the truck islands.

So..... Anyone have any "magic trick" that will allow me to pull onto the truck island, insert my card, fill my tank and drive off without going inside and/or battling with the clerk regarding how much I can buy??

Boowho??

Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

This is a good question. I do the same routine and wonder if there's a better way? Sorry no answer, but I'll keep an eye on this post and check around with other RV'rs.

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4 200k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (?)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Seems like (for me at least) pulling into a fueling location can be a real hassle. Mostly with how to pay. Using the truck islands at some (maybe all) major brands, you have to take your card in side and leave it while you fill up.

Even doing this, they really only want to sell you a given amount of fuel; like maybe 2-300 dollars worth. You just can't say "I'm going to fill it"; nor can you say (for example) $600 and then just get charged where the pump stops. This will get you (1) the old dear-in-the-headlights look or (2) a snotty comment from the clerk.

Then there's the issue of the RV islands vs the truck islands. It only takes 5-10 time the amount of time on the RV islands, since the hose nozzles are so small compared to the truck islands.

So..... Anyone have any "magic trick" that will allow me to pull onto the truck island, insert my card, fill my tank and drive off without going inside and/or battling with the clerk regarding how much I can buy??

Boowho??
Regarding the RV islands vs the truck islands - are you sure you want to use the truck island considering the flow rate is higher ( not sure how much higher, but it is higher) ?

My Ram has a 34 gallon tank and I learned really fast not to put a truck island nozzle in, lock it and then think I would have time to wash the windshield,etc, while fuel is flowing.

Another thing - if all the truck islands are full and you get behind a thirsty semi, you might be waiting awhile.

Considering that, I usually stick with the RV islands.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

I have a Pilot card. Works great and I get a discount. I use the truck lanes but I do need to bring the card in before fueling.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #5

When we used diesel I would send DW in to be a hostage.
She didn't like it but she sure didn't like pumping.
DID NOT want to leave the card inside.

ab&jb
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

at 4.00 or so a gallon, you cant really blame them for wanting your card first. would you like to be the minimum wage clerk who gets held responsible for a drive off?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Regarding the RV islands vs the truck islands - are you sure you want to use the truck island considering the flow rate is higher
That's exactly why I want to use the truck islands. Comparatively, the RV islands only "dribble" the fuel in. Truck islands are so fast you don't have to busy yourself cleaning windshields, etc while the fuel is pumping.. On the RV Islands, you can have lunch, take a nap, and still have time left over.

Phil57, I think I'll get a Pilot card immediately if it cuts out all the hassle. Should be good at Flying J too, I'd imagine.

I'd rather not have to take the card in ahead of time, but I do understand the problem of "drive-offs"; but then STILL not being able to get a fill-up is frustrating.

Boowho??
Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
That's exactly why I want to use the truck islands. Comparatively, the RV islands only "dribble" the fuel in. Truck islands are so fast you don't have to busy yourself cleaning windshields, etc while the fuel is pumping.. On the RV Islands, you can have lunch, take a nap, and still have time left over.

Phil57, I think I'll get a Pilot card immediately if it cuts out all the hassle. Should be good at Flying J too, I'd imagine.

I'd rather not have to take the card in ahead of time, but I do understand the problem of "drive-offs"; but then STILL not being able to get a fill-up is frustrating.

Boowho??
I'll take your rationale with a grain of salt regarding the benefits of using the truck islands vs the RV islands.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

First- yes, the Flying J/Pilot card does activate the pump without the need to go inside. It works as a charge account- they bill you monthly for your usage. I believe that you can go in afterwards and have a different card charged the actual amount. (Or so I've read on forums.) It's worth it's cost (free) in freeing up hassles at the pumps. Plus you get a discount off of the advertised cash price. They might not be the cheapest place, but it's worth the convenience to me.

As for using a regular card- in my past year of towing with the truck, I've never left my card inside. Basically, you go in and estimate the amount of fuel that you'll need. The card is authorized for that amount. If you use less, they will credit the difference back to the card even if you don't go back in. That said, my wife goes inside with the card (she too has to estimate how much it'll take).

As for the truck pump vs. RV island or regular pumps. I use the truck pumps exclusively. At places that aren't busy, I'm usually able to snag a pump without waiting. At busy-places, I've actually seen where they have dispatchers directing traffic to each pump. Only once have I gotten stuck behind someone that took a while. I shut off the truck and enjoyed my sparse scenery. 9 out of 10 times, it's quicker and easier to use the truck pumps vs. the regular flow pumps. There's always exceptions, of course.

If you use truck pumps- follow etiquette: when you're done at the pump, pull forward so your camper clears the pump and a truck can get into the pump behind you. Then go inside (or wait for the wife to come out). If you're going to be a while, go park the camper and take your merry ole time.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

This is truly one of the PITA of going distances with out rig.

First off, with a 26 gallon tank, we have to stop A LOT!

My experience with Pilot/Flying J has been both good and truly miserably horrible. I think it comes down to individual stations and the clerks there. At different Pilot/Flying J in Kansas and Colorado my "RV" card never got a pump started. One clerk told my wife we could not buy fuel there unless we gave her a DOT number. Another told us the RV cards did not exist, and when I showed her mine then said they had been discontinued.

When I see a QT truck stop I always stop. they always know what they are doing and are clean.

We ended up trying to use smaller stations on the way back from Colorado and had good experiences. One such station in Salina, as soon as I got out of the truck I heard the pump kick on and zero out. put it in and started pumping. Gave my wife a box of chocolate covered raisins for paying in cash (as opposed to cash via debit card.)

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote