Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Full timer insurance

I am soon be the new owner of a 390BH-60 and am curious what fellow owners have experienced with the different insurance companies. Any special add on riders need to be considered? Thanks in advance.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the Berk family. I don't full time so I can't answer your question. But we do have a few FT'ers here.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

We went full time last March. We changed our insurance coverage to Good Sam's and did it for the coverage. The price was cheaper also but we wanted to be sure we were covered for all liability and damage as well as road hazard. We have now bought a lot in Florida so we will need to review our coverage.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #4

Phil, what part of FL did you get your lot. I'm thinking of doing the same.

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
2014 Jeep Rubicon unlimited Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

We are in Okeechobee a park called Silver Palms. It's our second year and we found a lot the owner was selling that was completely done. The town itself isn't much. A small cow town. No mall and we like that bits a friendly town and very safe. The resort is very nice with lots of activities and a nice pool. We are an hour from Ft Myers and 45 minutes to Port St Lucie. No beach but we don't fibrin the beach much anyway. The resort is at the north end of the lake but you can't see it. It's completely surrounded by a thirty foot dyke. They say it's one of the best fishing lakes in the US.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

Phil, the place looks really nice. Fishing is great in the Big O.

We are planning on full timing in 1.5 yrs. problem is I have a boat and would like to find a lot on a lake with doc or along the coast on a canal. When you were looking did you notice any places like that when you were looking for yours? I do both fresh and saltwater fishing.

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

I haven't but I don't boat so wasn't really looking. I'll keep my eyes open.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #8

Thank you Phil

2014 Berkshire 400bh.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
I am soon be the new owner of a 390BH-60 and am curious what fellow owners have experienced with the different insurance companies. Any special add on riders need to be considered? Thanks in advance.
I recently switched from National General (Good Sams) to Progressive.

Saved a few dollars, but more importantly now have a policy with an "agreed upon" dollar figure in case of total loss.

Normally, as the unit ages the amount you get in a total loss just goes down and down; mostly based on current (at time of loss) NADA value.

Mine is fixed at $135K regardless of the actual NADA book value at the time of the loss. Without this contract stipulation, in just a few years any payment as a result of total loss would go to the bank and I'd not get a dime.

Something to think about if you need the coach to be your only "home".

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Good luck with Progressive. I have had extensive dealings with them and in my opinion they are the worst company ever. Claims are a major fight. I will never deal with them again and if I'm unlucky enough to be hit by anyone with Progressive the first phone call will be to my attorney. Awful company and employees.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Good luck with Progressive. I have had extensive dealings with them and in my opinion they are the worst company ever. Claims are a major fight. I will never deal with them again and if I'm unlucky enough to be hit by anyone with Progressive the first phone call will be to my attorney. Awful company and employees.
I've heard just the opposite from several individuals. An insurance policy is a legally binding contract.

That is why I deliberately wrote in an agreed upon (in advance) figure for total loss replacement. There is no "wiggle room".

The second thing is that as soon as you think your are being jerked around, just turn the whole thing over to an attorney. Adjusters would FAR sooner deal with you directly than an attorney. They know that a lawyer is far more likely to hold their feet to the fire and can't be bullied.

The adjusters job is to pay out as little as possible on any claim. If he can get you to accept a lesser settlement, he'll do it. My DW having 25+ years as a paralegal doesn't hurt either. You ought to hear/see her negotiate!!!!

YMMV!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #12

My point is you will always fight with a company like Progressive. My own experience first hand is they will fight you every step. They will never see a nickel from me.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

I fully agree with Phil. I hate Progressive. They are the worst insurance company ever from my personnel opinion. We have Allstate and it is amazing how fast and hassle free they are with claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

Thank for all the input, I finally went with Good Sam for both the MH and the toad. Picked up the 390BH on Tuesday in Texas and drove it back to Florida arriving yesterday. It was a great trip with a buddy. See ya'll down the road.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #15

Congrats!!
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote