Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Full timer mail

What do the full timers do for mail delivery. We will be homeless soon and will need a permanent address.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
MI Camperz

I would think e-mail for the most portability. Also, a post office box, but then you have to physically go there before it's overflowing and mail sitting there till you get there. What can't be done by e-mail these days? I have also read that some people use a relative's address for stuck like driver's license and voting. Be sure and pick a state with no income tax if you have to have some sort of make-shift permanent address. Better yet, pick Grand Cayman Island and no federal income tax either...LOL...JK...you have to pay tax unless you have not stepped foot on US soil for like 18 months.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What do the full timers do for mail delivery. We will be homeless soon and will need a permanent address.

There are some Clubs/Organizations that have 'mail forwarding' service. I believe FMCA does as well as GS.

Hope that helps

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

oh yeah and I wouldn't exactly say your homeless....

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Phil,

As long as you got a Motor Home, you are not Homeless. LOL

Regards,

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #6

It's going to be strange not owning a house. Not sure how king we will do this. The mail thing we are not sure of. We reviewed the GS and FMCA and they seem comparable. We also are thinking of setting up a LLC Ia state that is a little cheaper than MI to deal with. If anyone has done this I would live to hear how it worked.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Always Learning

There was a recommendation to check out the Escapee forums and that's a good one. They have their own service and can help make recommendation for mail forwarding services to use.

We're only going to be gone for a couple of months and will still have our house to come back to, but I was just talking to the wife about this today.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I would suggest that....
(disclaimer: Our daughter goes by our house to check the mail each day and if it's important, she can either call or scan and email it to us).

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Welcome to REAL living!!!!!!! First off, join Escapees. I'm staying at an Escapees park here in Benson, AZ right now and am paying $270 per month plus electric. And it's a VERY nice park.

As a FT, you will probably want to become a resident of South Dakota or Texas. Those 2 seem to be the most $$$ beneficial as far as taxes, tags, etc...

I have a mail service in SD and also SD tags and DL. I only have to be in the state once every 5 years to renew DL; and they're thinking of upping that to 10 years.

For things like tags, etc where a trip to the DMV is required, my mail person has power of attorney to sign applications, pick up my tags, etc and forward then to me.

My service is in Madison, SD. Been using Teri for 2 years and she is WONDERFUL. For the top of the line service, she emails me every day with what has come in. If it's important I can ask her to forward immediately. If it's SUPER important I'll ask her to open it and scan it in and email to me. Fantastic service.

One last thing...... I've been trying to figure out why I needed all the room a house offers. I can't imagine living any other way.

Good Luck, Phil.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote