Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Funace operation while running

We have a 2011 390BH-60 that we just had in for service and returned it to storage forcing us to drive the unit in the dead of winter. I find driving in cold weather the engine heater just doesn't cut it. I know in the summer hot weather we run the generator so that the roof air conditioners can be operated to cool the unit while diriving. In the cold winter can you safely operate the furnace while driving. Any input from experienced Motor Home owner would be appreciated.

Thanks

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Could your engine thermostat be stuck open? Does your engine temp gauge come up to where it should be.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

The thermostat is fine, the engine heater would have been sized to heat a truck cab. The area of the motor home to way too large to be heated by the engine heater.

Thanks for your reply
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

We travel with our furnace(s) on with no problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Thanks Earl, I didn"t think there would be an issue. How are you enjoying your Berk?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

So far so good. A couple small issues, but all has worked out. She is tucked away in heated storage for another month then the 2013 season officially starts for us.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

One thing to look out for is that on some units, when the slide is in it can block off one or more furnace ducts.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

On our last trip, we ran the generator with 2 small electrical space heaters in the back and that was sufficient with outside temps in the teens. When we overnighted in a truckstop in Raton last weekend, we also ran the furnaces. Inside temp was in the low 60s. Outside it was single digits. We were winterized. I would have let it get colder inside and just use more blankets, but the wife isn't so adventurous!!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

We were in Texas visiting the kids for Christmas with our 2013 FL390. We had to pull all 4 slides in, run both furnaces and an electric heater to stay warm in 8 degree weather. That tile floor is pretty, but it sure is cold. We put up a sheet behind us when going down the road. Stays plenty warm up front, but you better warm it up in back at least an hour before you stop for the evening.
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Cyclone

We have driven in single digits using the generator and 2 space heaters and kept the coach plenty warm on the 390BH. The furnaces work just fine but I prefer not to use the propane up. The only thing you need to be careful of with electric heaters is to ensure that they are on separate breakers and that you don't trip the main generator breaker. 3 1500 watt heaters, even on separate panel breakers but on the same side of the 35 amp generator main on my 8.0KW Onan will trip it.

Also, a couple of tips on the dash heat - the A/C systems runs on every heat setting except the foot mode. I found out the hard way coming across Nebraska, where we had very little engine load, that with temperatures in the teens, the dash heat barely over comes the A/C load. Also, in low temperatures, I do not use the defrost setting. The side vents operate regardless of the selector knob & I've found that higher heat on the other settings greatly offsets any dehumidification offered by the A/C system.
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote