Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Furnace outlets

My 2013 390RB has 4 ducts on the front furnace that discharge under the sofa in the kitchen slide. The outlets are not visible from the front of the sofa but rather discharge beneath it. Any other 390RB owners have the same arrangement? Are there any outlets under the cabinets that I'm missing?
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Always Learning

I don't have an answer for you- but, while looking at replacement registers at Home Depot - they have deflectors that you could use send the air out from under the sofa.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

in my 390bh, the furnace is ducted through the front panel of the loveseat. there is another exhaust duct in the bedroom on the floor. the two louvered panels on the stove cabinet and the kitchen cabinets are in the furnance intake ducts.

i'll take pics later of the duct work. i'm sure you can run them yourself anywhere within reason.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

here's some pics.. i'm limited to how many i can link in one post.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

I have the same layout of ducts. There is also one in the bathroom and one in the hallway. However, they do not put out much flow at all - especially the one in the hallway. The bedroom one on the other hand blasts the hot air like crazy - to the point that if I leave the thermostat on auto, it heats up so quickly that the a/c actually comes on and they fight each other.

Does your hallway/bathroom vents put out much.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
to the point that if I leave the thermostat on auto, it heats up so quickly that the a/c actually comes on and they fight each other.
I don't understand how the A/C comes on when you use the furnace. Do you have zone 2 set to off? That is the only way the A/C could come on because if your furnace comes on from the zone 1 setting, the A/C would be off.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I don't understand how the A/C comes on when you use the furnace. Do you have zone 2 set to off? That is the only way the A/C could come on because if your furnace comes on from the zone 1 setting, the A/C would be off.
you can program a low and high temp setting with the dometic thermostat control. if those settings are two close to each other then the system could kick back and forth between heating and cooling...

most people manually control their thermostats. my house has a full auto thermostat and we have it set for both low (when to turn on the heat) and high (when to turn on the cooling) and works very well. i have not yet programmed my dometic unit and not sure if i will since i store my coach with the batteries disconnected (so all programming will be lost)
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

him,
I guess the new thermostats have different functionality than the one in my coach. I don't believe that I have the high and low temp settings.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

I have two furnaces and two a/c units. Zone 2 is the bedroom and has a furnace and a/c unit. With the thermostat on Auto, they fight each other. For example, on a cold night we set the thermostat on Auto at 70F. The furnace comes on and the single furnace vent blows very hard and HOT!. The remote thermocouple is located on the bedroom wall right under the furnace vent. So it heats up very quickly and when it hits 72F, the a/c comes on to cool it off. It then cools it quickly to 68F and the furnace comes on again. When this happens, air is coming out of the a/c and furnace vents simultaneously for a little while as the furnace blower continues to run for a bit after the flame is out and similar on the a/c unit's fan.

For now, we just do not run in Auto. Thought about a vent deflector, but due to the location of the vent, it won't really help. So just no Auto mode for the bedroom. Auto in the main living area works semi okay, aside from running the heat pump until the exterior temp is below 30F (which is crazy, it loses its efficiency below about 40F). We tend not to run that zone in Auto either because of that.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #10

Also, there is no way to set a high and low setting when in Auto unless I have completely missed something. I looked for that specifically. I have the CCC3.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
Also, there is no way to set a high and low setting when in Auto unless I have completely missed something. I looked for that specifically. I have the CCC3.
i'll need to read my manual for the thermostat on how to program it. my high and low settings are for the one inside my house.

yes, there are alot of things poorly implemented in the berkshire.. namely anything electronic... forest river needs to update their engineering requirements to deliver better standards...

examples: battery wiring incorrect, hdtv's still using composite analog video, dvd players?, the list goes on...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #12

The a/v wiring using composite cables was a major letdown and surprise. Makes the HD TV's useless to run off that crappy distribution box. I removed that and the, the DVD player and soundbar and replaced them with a better sound bar/subwoofer and WD Live TV. We then take our movies on a USB key. Other than that, we love it!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
My 2013 390RB has 4 ducts on the front furnace that discharge under the sofa in the kitchen slide. The outlets are not visible from the front of the sofa but rather discharge beneath it. Any other 390RB owners have the same arrangement? Are there any outlets under the cabinets that I'm missing?
Read this thread and went and tore into my 2014 390RB. the ducts behind the couch are a bit of a jumbled mess and the couch actually crushes some of the ducts when you fold the couch back to sitting position. Nifty.

Here's my question: There look to be 4 lag bolts going into the floor to secure the couch to the floor. Am I missing any? I want to slide the couch back, straighten and protect the duct work, then put it back. If someone has an easier solution, count me in.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

On mine the furnace and A/C (heat pump) come at the same time if the clock is not set on the thermostat. Very strange.
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsgocamping View Post
On mine the furnace and A/C (heat pump) come at the same time if the clock is not set on the thermostat. Very strange.
I noticed when I put the fans on High with the furnace on the roof units came on. I read your post, set the clock...now they don't. I won't even guess.

Other threads say "fan to auto only" for furnace.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #16

I pulled the couch, and sure enough, the corner of the couch had mangled one of the vents.
I swapped a couple of hoses so they wouldn't have to overlap to reach their destination; the tricky one it the top right in the picture. That needs to route straight down then along the back of sofa to not get maimed by the back of the couch:

Shown with couch pulled away:

The seatbelt bolts add to the fun, and i did contemplate running one hose on top of the belts and bolts, but i got the hoses to lay flat so they're only brushed by the couch back when you open/close it. I'm going to look for registers to put on the board the vents exhaust to next trip to the hardware store.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #17

Following This Closely

Gottawonder: Thanks for the information and the pictures. I have the same coach and noted the lack of air flow in the front while testing my furnaces. I had the slides closed and assumed (I know, I know) that might have had an effect. Planned on pursuing the issue further but cannot yet as we are leaving soon to trade New Jersey for Florida warm.
At least now, from your efforts, I know what to look for - thanks again.
If any other solutions are found please post. I will do the same if I come up with anything.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Gottawonder: Thanks for the information and the pictures. I have the same coach and noted the lack of air flow in the front while testing my furnaces. I had the slides closed and assumed (I know, I know) that might have had an effect. Planned on pursuing the issue further but cannot yet as we are leaving soon to trade New Jersey for Florida warm.
At least now, from your efforts, I know what to look for - thanks again.
If any other solutions are found please post. I will do the same if I come up with anything.
with the fold-out couch expanded, you can put your hand up to the 4 holes and see if they're all putting out air. You'll know quickly if you have a duct that is damaged. I may add a tie-down strap to keep the hoses out of harm's way as they come out of the manifolds... FYI you have 2 ducts (4"?) that run to the back corner of the kitchen cabinet, and then a pr of manifolds (pictured above) that feed the four lines. Always glad to share.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #19

So the original intent was just to blow air under the couch (?) pretty poor concept. Maybe a register of some kind would work but i really don't want to cut holes in the couch. Or, as stated before, a deflector of some sort to better direct the air.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
So the original intent was just to blow air under the couch (?) pretty poor concept. Maybe a register of some kind would work but i really don't want to cut holes in the couch. Or, as stated before, a deflector of some sort to better direct the air.
I was going to mount registers on the board w/ the 4 holes to try to "aim the air towards the front bottom of couch. Maybe a waste of time, but I'd feel better for trying I don't plan on cutting into the front bottom lip of couch.

Tags
furnace