Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Dragonship Captain

Further Hot Water System Mods

As some of you may know my solution to the Atwood problem was to install an in line electric 7 gallon hot water heater. This has actually done a lot more than solve the Atwood problem. It also takes care of the delay and the "cold sandwich" which happens with ANY on demand propane heater located 25-50 feet away from where you need hot water. Even if I were to buy a brand new coach with a Truma today I would install the mod again.

In addition I have now further addressed the problem of protection against freezing. Keeping things warm while parked is one thing, but we do many hours in low temps, single digits in the next few days in fact, and our furnace will not run while driving. So, when the heat pump gives up it's down to dash air and the fireplace with the generator running. OK, in the salon but the rear of the bus WILL get pretty cold, and the plumbing runs through even less heated space.

In another post I told about the wet bay heat I've installed.

Today I added another manifold in the wet bay that allows me to winterize and bypass/isolate ANY part of the water system.

So now we can roll with the propane hot water heater, the washer and rear bathroom winterized (which won't take long, matter of moving valves and running air or pink) and have the mid bathroom and galley operational and reasonably safe from freezing with hot water from the electric water heater.... When we get home all I have to do is drain the water tank, and run pink through the mid bathroom and galley..... 15 minutes tops. Next time we leave I can get the heat going, and de-winterize just the mid bathroom and galley and motor South until the mercury gets back above freezing....

It's the last section of the writeup. Warning.... if diagrams give you headaches you're gonna get one....

https://dragonship.blog/modifications/hot-water-system/

Tags
hot water, water