Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1

Fuse for Water Pump, Tank Heater, Tank Indicators

I've come across an issue that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. My fuse for the water pump, tank heaters, and tank indicators keeps blowing. It happened twice when I used the generator than switched back to battery power. Now, it blows every time I put a new fuse in and turn the battery disconnect back on. Any experience with this?

Many thanks for any ideas you can share!
trttrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trttrving View Post
I've come across an issue that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. My fuse for the water pump, tank heaters, and tank indicators keeps blowing. It happened twice when I used the generator than switched back to battery power. Now, it blows every time I put a new fuse in and turn the battery disconnect back on. Any experience with this?

Many thanks for any ideas you can share!
Sounds like a hot wire is grounded out obviously.
Is trailer under warranty?
You didn't post make model or year.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

2008 Berkshire 390 BH. It is not under warranty.

Would this have anything to do with the inverter? I had a new inverter put on a couple months ago as the old one was bad.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

Get a few more fuses, disconnect one of the items in the circuit and replace fuse. Energize circuit. If it blows, then reattach that item in the circuit and disconnect the next one and replace the fuse. When you find one that doesn't blow the fuse when you reapply power, then your short is in that item. If you get through all the items and blow fuses all the time, then either two items have shorts (less likely) or the short is before your disconnect point. It's just trial and error to find the short.

Another method that might work is using an ohmmeter. If you test electrical resistance through each item, there should be fairly high resistance through each. If one has a short, the resistance will likely be very low and is probably the one causing the fuse blowing.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #5

Now that I think about it, all those items are on 12-volt circuits...so it very well may have something to do with the inverter replacement. See if you can see all the connection points and verify all the connections are not touching something grounded or another wire near the connection points. If you can't find something obvious near the new inverter, try the step by step for each device.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, Joker. I just took it to the dealer this morning for them to take a look. Now I wish I hadn't taken it in so I could try out your ideas! Oh well. I need the RV for a week from now so I've got to get it working.

Thanks, again.