Old 06-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Gaffney SC

Just thought I'd ask any of you that have already gone to Gaffney.....

What is the best way to get there from Kentucky? Is there a route that has excessive grades in the mountains that I should avoid ?

I haven't yet looked at the route I am taking, so I'm not sure. I only ask because I mentioned the trip to a friend (not an RVer) who shook his head and said "Watch those mountains......"

I am dropping the DW off at her brothers place in Louisville, KY and will start from there.

Any advice is appreciated.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
While I have can't offer any routing advice, we were at Gaffney two years ago when FR replaced our tires & front air bags under warranty.

I also had the coach aligned while we were there.

Great place and quality work, wish I lived closer... If you have time, take the tour of the F-Liner plant.

2013 Berkshire 390BH / 360hp
EJM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
I75 to Knoxville, pick up I40 east. Yes you will go through the mountains...curves mostly as the road goes around the mountains instead of over. Some moderate grades, but nothing you can't manage with patience and focus. Then hit I26 near Ashville NC towards Spartanburg, SC and pick up I85 north to Gaffney. Note, between Ashville and Spartanburg on I26 you will descend on the Saluda Grade....slow down and gear down.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
Or you could get on Hwy 11 Scenic drive just in South Carolina which will take you to Gaffney.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
I85 between Spartanburg and Gaffney is terrible but I can't recommend an alternative. Just be prepared for a good shaking.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
IF you take 40 East from Knoxville there is a bridge being worked on before you get to North Carolina. The highway is down to 1 lane both directions and causes really bad backups.

whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote