Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #1

Generator Battery

Hi folks and first I want to thank all of the posters here for all of the incredible information. I can sometimes get my questions answered in advance.
The question I have today is about my generator. I have a 2016 Berkshire XL 40BH 380 HP. It is parked at home and plugged in to a 50 amp service I had installed for it. Today I thought I would just start up the generator just to make sure it will run. I have not had any problems with it up until now. When I went to start it all I got was a chattering noise from the generator area. Dead battery? I started up the coach and saw the Low Battery warning before the engine started. I ran the motor for about 15 minutes to charge up the battery but still the chattering sound. I was under the impression the inverter would also charge the batteries while plugged in. Also what battery set is assigned to the generator? the house batteries (4x6) or drive (2x12)?
Thanks again.....Fred
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkaske View Post
Hi folks and first I want to thank all of the posters here for all of the incredible information. I can sometimes get my questions answered in advance.
The question I have today is about my generator. I have a 2016 Berkshire XL 40BH 380 HP. It is parked at home and plugged in to a 50 amp service I had installed for it. Today I thought I would just start up the generator just to make sure it will run. I have not had any problems with it up until now. When I went to start it all I got was a chattering noise from the generator area. Dead battery? I started up the coach and saw the Low Battery warning before the engine started. I ran the motor for about 15 minutes to charge up the battery but still the chattering sound. I was under the impression the inverter would also charge the batteries while plugged in. Also what battery set is assigned to the generator? the house batteries (4x6) or drive (2x12)?
Thanks again.....Fred
Normally generators start from coach batteries. If you were getting a low battery warning then you need to make sure they are fully charged up before starting the gen. 15 mins won't do it but depending on your converter 6 hours might.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

Your experience is somewhat interesting. If you had been plugged into shore power and it didn't charge your batteries, starting the generator should do nothing more than powering your converter from the generator rather than from the shore power connection. Nothing should change and if it didn't charge when connected to shore power, it shouldn't make any difference when the genny is running.

On another front, if you have a boost start switch, you can use it to boost the house when trying to start the genny from dead house batteries as well. It should work both ways.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Wonder if you hold the generator switch a bit longer what happens? Mine clicks for several seconds before starting

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #5

That clicking is usually the fuel pump priming the generator and the glow plugs warming up. Hold the start button a little longer to see if it starts.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Fred - It has been posted many times and I also get the Low Battery upon start-up, which lasts for a minute or two. I believe its from the engines air heater drawing a huge current from the batteries.

My generator sometimes requires holding the button down a more longer time.
Hank
Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Assuming you have a Magnum inverter/charger, is it set to charge at the control panel?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

As many have stated, hold down the button longer. This should work.

As for the charging, your coach has a switch that allows both the coach and chassis batteries to charge at different times. While on shore power or genny, your house batteries are primary and will charge first, once they're fully charged, it will switch to charge your chassis batteries. When you're driving and the MH is running, it will charge your chassis batteries first then when fully charged, charge your coach batteries.

When I purchased my coach new, the switch was bad and my chassis batteries were not getting charges while plugged into shore power. The switch was replaced and all worked good.

Also as stated previously, I too will get the battery low light during start up for the first minute or two. It will cycle on and off as the coach goes through its startup sequence.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss (toad)
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

One more thing. When plugged into Shore power you may notice you're a AUX switch glowing / flashing occasionally. That is when your converter is charging the chassis batteries. It does this after it has fully charged the house batteries.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

BTW, for all of those who have AUX Start switches. If you depress the aux start and don't hear a click, your solenoid is shot and the converter cannot charge the chassis, nor the alternator charge the house. It uses the same solenoid.

I do believe that on some coaches, the aux start switch will glow when the converter is charging the chassis.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #11

Thanks for all of the info guys. Today I went out and the generator started right up. I had to change the inverter to charge. It had either never got set up right or had somehow got changed ( Hey, whats this for?) Everything is working as it should be now. Thanks again.....Fred
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator