Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #1

Generator Issues

Am I the only one out there with a Berkshire that has a Generac generator????

I love the generator BUT Iíve discovered that itís difficult to find someone to work on them....

Recently, Iíve had a problem getting mine to run..... It was acting like a fuel issue because it would start and then stop within seconds.... changed the fuel filter - no change....

Finally located a shop in Flagstaff that would work on mine.... (Flagg Tool & Equipment Service). Took coach to them Thursday and within a few minutes, the tech discovered that the main belt was broken (one that actually generates elec.... we decided to also replace the other belt as well along with their pulleys.....

Now the ďRest of the storyĒ - shop contacted a distributor and they were going to overnight all parts..... Friday (today) rolled around and no parts by 3PM....

Shop called distributor numerous time and finally got someone..... After lengthy discussion they admitted that parts werenít overnighted because ďthey never had the parts in the first place ď.

Now itís Friday at 4:45 and after much searching on google, parts were finally located in Phoenix..... By now itís too late to ship overnight but they will ship Monday so Iím stuck in Flagstaff (not a bad place to be stuck I guess) until Tuesday....

I did discover that Generac no longer deals with RV generators (sold that branch of company 4 yrs ago - wouldnít tell me to who).

I also discovered multiple places to order parts for my generator on line....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

You are certainly having a memorable trip! Just sayin.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

I had the same problem last year. Starter went bad. Ordered a new one off Amazon. Got the part number out of the manual. Did not work. Ordered and replaced the solenoid. Still did not work. Symptom was slow crank. Worried ma have an internal problem. Took the belts off and could turn the engine by hand. Now what. Took two months to find someone that would work on it. I even contacted cummins with the thought of swamping the thing out for an Onan. They wanted no part of the job. In the end it turned out the starter was bad. The part number in the manual was for a Gas starter not a diesel starter.

Like you I found Generic got out of the RV business 11 years ago and were no help when called.

We are just the lucky ones to get the last of the stock back when they got out of the business.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
PPST Wannabe

I know this thread is under the Berkshire forum, but the title was generator issues, so I just had to look.

Iím feeling the same as Ernest, having a 2010 Georgetown with a Generac 6500 generator. Seems right around that time, a lot of manufacturers of RVs switched over to Onan/Cummins brand generators.

Pound for pound, any Onan/Cummins has always seemed quieter when running....wish I had one. Unfortunately, Generac has given up the RV industry generator market, and conceded that Onan/Cummins has this market, so give it to them. Generac is still a viable manufacturer of generators for the home and industry market, but few if any distributors have or care to have parts and service for our units. However, the inner workings of most generators are fairly elementary, so a good small engine mechanic should be able to keep us going.....itís getting the parts that may ultimately cause us the real problem.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #5

Hereís some sources for Generac parts..... worth filing away for future....

Jackís Small Engines
877-737-2787

AP Electric & Generators
857-516-8882

Ziller Electric
888-294-5537
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I had the same problem last year. Starter went bad. Ordered a new one off Amazon. Got the part number out of the manual. Did not work. Ordered and replaced the solenoid. Still did not work. Symptom was slow crank. Worried ma have an internal problem. Took the belts off and could turn the engine by hand. Now what. Took two months to find someone that would work on it. I even contacted cummins with the thought of swamping the thing out for an Onan. They wanted no part of the job. In the end it turned out the starter was bad. The part number in the manual was for a Gas starter not a diesel starter.

Like you I found Generic got out of the RV business 11 years ago and were no help when called.

We are just the lucky ones to get the last of the stock back when they got out of the business.
So why were you able to turn the engine by hand?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

Correction: AP Electric - 847-516-8882
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #8

Finally- all fixed.... 2 new belts and pulleys.....

Tags
generator