Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Generator oil change 390BH

We've completing the intial 50 hours on the generator and it's time for the 1st oil change. I've never worked on a generator before. Are there specific things I should be aware of? Is this something I can do as a Weekend Wally or do I need to take it in for service?

mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

It is fairly straight forward. You will need an oil filter. Check on the outside of the gen and it lists the filter numbers. Then you will need, I think, 3 quarts of 15w40 oil. The same that the Cummins engine uses. There is a little trap door on the under side of the gen. It has 2 little slides on it. You push the slides and the trap door will flip down. You can access the filter through the opening. The drain plug to drain the oil is on the underside of the gen also. Should take about 15-20 mins.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #3

Great - Thank you!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

We just got a flyer from our local dealer which advertised generator oil changes for, are you ready for this? $89.95!!!

Or you could get the oil and filter changed on a gas motorhome for $84.95 up to 7 quarts of oil.

Precisely why I do my own. I pay 1/4 the price and I know when it was done and that it was done right.

Also why even though they are the FR dealer I have never and will never take my rig to them to work on.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #5

Berkshire mtce

Question for Tmmar. Do you do all your own mtce on the coach engine as well and if so do you mind me asking if you have it all wrote out on what you do. I have trouble reading the manual. I just had a oil filter change done and they charged me $401. (of which $193 was labour) I need to save some $ here. They put in the oil, filter and 2 fuel filters, checked tire pressure, lube the chassis, check slack adjustors and lube the brake slider. I've changed oil before on many vehicles and do change the gen oil myself. They wanted $100 more. Is $400 large for this ?? I'm hoping to get a list from someone that is wrote out in layman terms that is simple to follow. Of what I did I still need to change the air filter and have one on order. I also am hoping I have not missed something on the unit ??

So hoping a fellow Berkshire person as yourself can help as we have the same 2008 units. This also is my first diesel so I still have lots of questions.

Thanks...Ron
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
We just got a flyer from our local dealer which advertised generator oil changes for, are you ready for this? $89.95!!!

Or you could get the oil and filter changed on a gas motorhome for $84.95 up to 7 quarts of oil.

Precisely why I do my own. I pay 1/4 the price and I know when it was done and that it was done right.

Also why even though they are the FR dealer I have never and will never take my rig to them to work on.
That $89.95 includes the chair rental and entertainment, "TV" fee while you're waiting, plus bad coffee.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

Ron,
I do most of the maintenance myself. I think that the price you paid seems fair. I pay about $75 to have the chassis lubed at Freightliner (don't think they do the slack adjusters and sliders). I found that this was a messy job and more difficult to do than the oil change (hard for me to crawl around under the rig to get to the grease fittings due to back problems). I pay about $80 for 6 qallons of oil (4 for the Cummins engine, 1 for the generator and 1 spare in case I need oil in either the gen or engine). I pay about $80 for filters- 1 oil, 2 fuel for the engine and 1 oil for the gen. So all in all, it costs me about $235 or so for parts. I asked the Freightliner dealer and they said it they would charge about $500 for the maintenance so it costs me about half of what they want. That is why I said that the $400 seemed like a fair price.
Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.
Tom

Old 06-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #8

As Tmmar mentioned the oil filter is located inside the trap door compartment. Also the fuel filter is in the same area. I couldn't find a fuel shut off valve from the tank so I changed it on the fly and lost about a half gallon of fuel. Also don't forget about your air filter. It is located at the right front underside of the generator (If you are laying under the generator looking up).

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I agree with you 100% NWJeeper.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #10

I changed the oil last week before out trip but rather than going through the small access panel beneath the gen I removed the side panel which made access much, much easier. I don't know how I would have gotten the filter off had I gone through the small access door (too much stuff in the way).
Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

Hi Tom. Thanks for the info from the past. I'm about to change my oil and also the fuel filters for this year. I have never changed the fuel filters before on this unit on my own. Is it straightforward ? I had a quick look underneath and believe I see them both. The main fuel filter seems easy enough. Unscrew the old one and replace with the new one. But how does the fuel separator filter work ? Does it need special care ?Looks like a top and bottom to it ? Also because it will lose some fuel during the filter change is this enough to worry for starting it back up and not priming ? And when you remove these filters are they under pressure and does the fuel keep running out ? Plus how tight does make them when reinstalling ? Any info is appreciated. Sorry to ask so much. Have you ever changed the air filter ? For starters I’m not even sure where it is. Can you help here as well. Thanks…Ron
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #12

Ron,
Changing the fuel filters is about the same as changing the oil filter. As I remember, the main filter is pretty straight forward. I poured the fuel from the old filter into the new one The fuel/water seperator is another story. When I purchased the fuel/water seperator I purchased another bowl (amber cup on the bottom) and assembled the pieces(make sure that you have all of the gaskets in place that are supplied with the new filters). Be careful when you remove the fuel/water seperator as fuel will keep running since it is gravity fed so you need to be quick when changing it. I know because it caused quite a mess the first time I changed it. I purchased a large filter wrench at an auto parts store since the filters are larger than normal auto filters and they can be quite tight from the factory. As for tightening, make them hand tight and then tighten about 1/2 turn after that and that should be sufficient. After changing the filters, you need to turn the key to the on position (on position- not start position) for about 20-30 seconds and then turn it off. You will need to go through this cycle several times to get the filters filled with fuel. After this, the engine should start up ok. I have not changed the air filter as yet. If you go under the rear of the coach on the drivers side (opposite the oil-fuel filters) and look up, you will see a large black cannister. That is the air filter.
If you need anything else, let me know and I will see if I can help you.
Have fun-
Tom

Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #13

Thanks Tom. Awesome info and you have helped me dearly. You info is almost like you watching me while I do it. I'm doing this in my laneway so the fuel filter change might need some second thoughts. I kind of thought from my farm days that it was gavity fed. Another question. Is it better to change the oil warm or cold. With the unit sitting for serveral weeks all the oil will be drained to the lowest pt. If I warm it up then the oil is everywhere. Your thoughts please. I heard both ways is acceptable. Again thanks Tom. ...Ron
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #14

Well oil all changed and thanks Tom for helping here. It went very well. I'm still debating on the fuel filter changes. May take to a garage but may be brave here and just do it. Now another question. Have you ever changed the allision trans oil and filter ? Thinking on doing it next. My dealer wants $667 (tx incl) to do this. The parts price about $300. $100 for a filter kit and $200 for 19 qts transyn oil. Can you advise here ? I have been reading the process over and it seems to be fairly straight forward but as a rookie on diesels etc whom am I to say lol. Again thanks and would appriecate your wise comments ....Ron
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #15

I have not done a full transmission fluid change. I have changed the external filter which is like changing an oil filter. It is a small screw on filter that is on the transmission on the same side as the oil and fuel filters. I changed the filter and added a little transmission fluid to make sure it the transmission was full. If you do the change, be sure to put the round magnet that is on the filter back. If I remember correctly, you don't need a full change for several hundred thousand miles (not sure of the exact mileage).

Tags
390bh, berkshire