Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Generator oil change 390BH

We've completing the intial 50 hours on the generator and it's time for the 1st oil change. I've never worked on a generator before. Are there specific things I should be aware of? Is this something I can do as a Weekend Wally or do I need to take it in for service?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

It is fairly straight forward. You will need an oil filter. Check on the outside of the gen and it lists the filter numbers. Then you will need, I think, 3 quarts of 15w40 oil. The same that the Cummins engine uses. There is a little trap door on the under side of the gen. It has 2 little slides on it. You push the slides and the trap door will flip down. You can access the filter through the opening. The drain plug to drain the oil is on the underside of the gen also. Should take about 15-20 mins.

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #3

Great - Thank you!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

We just got a flyer from our local dealer which advertised generator oil changes for, are you ready for this? $89.95!!!

Or you could get the oil and filter changed on a gas motorhome for $84.95 up to 7 quarts of oil.

Precisely why I do my own. I pay 1/4 the price and I know when it was done and that it was done right.

Also why even though they are the FR dealer I have never and will never take my rig to them to work on.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #5

Berkshire mtce

Question for Tmmar. Do you do all your own mtce on the coach engine as well and if so do you mind me asking if you have it all wrote out on what you do. I have trouble reading the manual. I just had a oil filter change done and they charged me $401. (of which $193 was labour) I need to save some $ here. They put in the oil, filter and 2 fuel filters, checked tire pressure, lube the chassis, check slack adjustors and lube the brake slider. I've changed oil before on many vehicles and do change the gen oil myself. They wanted $100 more. Is $400 large for this ?? I'm hoping to get a list from someone that is wrote out in layman terms that is simple to follow. Of what I did I still need to change the air filter and have one on order. I also am hoping I have not missed something on the unit ??

So hoping a fellow Berkshire person as yourself can help as we have the same 2008 units. This also is my first diesel so I still have lots of questions.

Thanks...Ron
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
We just got a flyer from our local dealer which advertised generator oil changes for, are you ready for this? $89.95!!!

Or you could get the oil and filter changed on a gas motorhome for $84.95 up to 7 quarts of oil.

Precisely why I do my own. I pay 1/4 the price and I know when it was done and that it was done right.

Also why even though they are the FR dealer I have never and will never take my rig to them to work on.
That $89.95 includes the chair rental and entertainment, "TV" fee while you're waiting, plus bad coffee.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

Ron,
I do most of the maintenance myself. I think that the price you paid seems fair. I pay about $75 to have the chassis lubed at Freightliner (don't think they do the slack adjusters and sliders). I found that this was a messy job and more difficult to do than the oil change (hard for me to crawl around under the rig to get to the grease fittings due to back problems). I pay about $80 for 6 qallons of oil (4 for the Cummins engine, 1 for the generator and 1 spare in case I need oil in either the gen or engine). I pay about $80 for filters- 1 oil, 2 fuel for the engine and 1 oil for the gen. So all in all, it costs me about $235 or so for parts. I asked the Freightliner dealer and they said it they would charge about $500 for the maintenance so it costs me about half of what they want. That is why I said that the $400 seemed like a fair price.
Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.
Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #8

As Tmmar mentioned the oil filter is located inside the trap door compartment. Also the fuel filter is in the same area. I couldn't find a fuel shut off valve from the tank so I changed it on the fly and lost about a half gallon of fuel. Also don't forget about your air filter. It is located at the right front underside of the generator (If you are laying under the generator looking up).

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I agree with you 100% NWJeeper.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

I changed the oil last week before out trip but rather than going through the small access panel beneath the gen I removed the side panel which made access much, much easier. I don't know how I would have gotten the filter off had I gone through the small access door (too much stuff in the way).

Tags
390bh, berkshire