Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Generator service

Just wondering what others are doing for their generator maintenance. I've got only around 20 hours on mine and will change the oil before winter storage, but what about the genny fuel filter? Anyone changing this yearly?

Rich

Old 09-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

I go off of the service manual. I changed my oil and filter after the brake in period 20 to 50 hours. And oil and filter again at 150. Fuel filter is good up to 500 hours. Oil and filter are very easy to change. Have not hit the hours yet to change anything else

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX

Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #3

Here is what I do.
Gas or propane generator: change oil and worry about the filter later if it's not causing problems or is relatively new.
Diesel generator change oil and filter, bec. the filter is more a water separator and therefor prone to freezing (can be more complicated but these are the basics).
No matter what type generator you have give it a good workout and drain the oil from the warm engine.
You want to change the oil before winter (or at the end of the season) to flush the acids, water and other contaminants out with the oil to prevent corrosion inside the engine. With the fresh oil in the crankcase let it run for 1/2 to 1 hour, check your oil level and done.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #4

I change the fuel filter at every oil change. Filters are cheap compared to it not working when you need it.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #5

Funny you should ask ... I just took my 2012 390BH-60 in yesterday.

In past years, I have been taking my unit into Cummins annually to have both the engine and genset serviced. Each year I was charged over 1300 dollars to get a lube, oil and filter ... Air and fuel on my unit. This is what Cummins told me I needed.

Yesterday I took my unit into the local Esco truck stop. They basically told me that I was passing away my money replacing fuel and air filters every year. We normally drive about 3000 miles per year and put on about 300 hrs per year on the genset.

They said based on my usage I only need to replace fuel and air filters every second year.

My bill yesterday was under 300 dollars including the 20 dollar tip I gave the guy for his honesty.

Needless to say they have a new customer and I will be on a 2 yr cycle for air and fuel filters.

Tim
Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

I have my coach serviced at the Cummins dealer in Harrisburg, PA. Full service never runs more than $500. Was your previous Cummins provider an actual Cummins dealer or just a Cummins service provider.

I would recommend changing the fuel filters when you change the oil. Fuel filters are cheap, try finding a road service provider to change them along the road when you get some water in the filter or the ULSD clogs a filter, you just now paid $300-400 for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Funny you should ask ... I just took my 2012 390BH-60 in yesterday.

In past years, I have been taking my unit into Cummins annually to have both the engine and genset serviced. Each year I was charged over 1300 dollars to get a lube, oil and filter ... Air and fuel on my unit. This is what Cummins told me I needed.

Yesterday I took my unit into the local Esco truck stop. They basically told me that I was passing away my money replacing fuel and air filters every year. We normally drive about 3000 miles per year and put on about 300 hrs per year on the genset.

They said based on my usage I only need to replace fuel and air filters every second year.

My bill yesterday was under 300 dollars including the 20 dollar tip I gave the guy for his honesty.

Needless to say they have a new customer and I will be on a 2 yr cycle for air and fuel filters.

Tim
Old 09-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

EMMA

It was done at my local Cummins Dealership. CUMMINS WESTERNS CANADA 4887 35 St Calgary AB. The bill last year was just over $1380. The Esso truck stop I went to this year is within 6 blocks of Cummins.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

I just picked my coach up from Cummins Harrisburg this afternoon. They performed a PA State Inspection, PM service on the coach (all filters,) and a PM service on the genset (all filters). The total price for the PM services on the coach & genset was $685.25.

I guess they all have different rates. The Cummins dealer is also a Coach Care provider and will repair other motorhome items that fail. They even have a separate waiting area for RV customers. They have a pretty good following as you see coaches from all the US having service performed.

Tags
generator, service