Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #1

Generator under load

I know this is probably a dumb question but does a generator use more fuel when it's under load? So if I'm using the generator just for lights refrigerator etc. Will that use more fuel when I'm running the ACs? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #2

Yes it does use more fuel when under a load VS no load.
How many lights and what type?
LED?
Halogen?
AC BTU's?
Off the top I will say the AC will use more than the fridge and lights.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
I know this is probably a dumb question but does a generator use more fuel when it's under load? So if I'm using the generator just for lights refrigerator etc. Will that use more fuel when I'm running the ACs? Thanks.

There is a chart that shows fuel consumption. I have a 2014 berkshire with the onan 8000 watt gen set. At half load it burns about a half gallon an hour.
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Your generator has a max electrical load. Power is measured in watts, electrical current is measured in amps.
My generator is rated at 3500 watts and 30 amps max electrical load.
It uses about a half a gallon running at half load, (lights, refrigerator, inverter) and maybe three quarters a gallon running near full load when the 13-15 amp A/C is also running along with the lights, refrigerator and the inverter.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

That 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour is cheap insurance. I say insurance as in to be insured against future repair cost of having the fuel system gaskets replaced from non use. Running and use of a generator is part of the maintaining the generator. With out use the gaskets and seal will dry up the fuel system will gum. Which is applied to Murphy's law will all come together about the time you really need the use of the generator.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator