Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #101
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
If you have ever removed the panel below your washer, you will see that there is quite a bit of room to accommodate a standard water heater.

That being said, after several years of fighting with this silly heater it would appear that Kyle from Girard has found a fix.

The Gen1 model came with an auto/low switch that would activate two burner settings. The low setting would only be used if the input temp was rather high.

Apparently the auto switches have a tendency to fail or stick on the low setting.

As indicated on the attached photos .... if you remove outside access panel and look to the back side top left, you will see a round switch with 2 black wires with blue blade connectors.

Remove the two wires frome switch and connect them together. This will change the switch inside coach from auto/low to high/low.

With an input temp of 58f it will give 111f at 1gph and hotter if I slow down the flow.

It works fine with my unit parked on my driveway .... cannot wait to try it out on a trip
Great Info. I hope that works for you mate. Good luck.

barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #102

Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
My 2015 Berk came with a Gerard tankless with all the bells and whistle updates from manufacture. Calls to tech support IMO was a waste of time individual kept blaming me on air in lines etc but could not explain why the upper limit was tripping every time it was used. Don't try this at home but maiden voyage out I had to jumper out that limit in order to take a hot shower as opposed to a cold one. On return dealer swapped out Gerard with an Atwood model. So far so good but true test will be camping trip the 4th.
berryland tec in Hammond,la but check value in my water line works great now

bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #103
Please keep us posted on the Atwood Bud.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #104
Just picked up our new 2016 Berkshire 38A and comes with the Atwood and works great.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CVR
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #105
Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

So far so good with new Atwood trip one showed promise in results although had a bad 3 amp fuse (not blown). Trip 2 comes up next week so stay tuned.

15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #106
7 Year Class A RV'er
Our 2015 Legacy came with the Girard unit and didn't work right when we picked the unit up. They replaced the flow sensor (or at least claimed they did) and it still didn't work right. I finally got the folks in the shop to work with the tech at Girard and they seem to have gotten it going....finally. They replaced the flow sensor (again?), the high/low emergency cutoff switch and the adjustable control inside the RV (apparently there was an even newer version I didn't know existed as I already had the updated version) and got hot water, but then the exhaust fan wouldn't shut off. They traced that issue down and replaced the "optional" winter time thermostat control and it is working now. Seems their documentation shows the winter time control as an option but there's no way I can see to tell if it is on there or not. It's apparently a tiny thermostat device that lights the burner for a very short period of time if the water temp drops below 45F in the coil to prevent freezing. Not sure why anyone ever thought that feature should be optional! Anyway, for now all is good. They have committed to me that if I have any more issues at all, they'll pull out the Girard and install the Atwood; the Atwood door is larger, so they have to paint it to match if they do that. Glad to hear the Atwood seems to be working; I think the Girard will work, too, so long as everything holds up. Have a six week trip coming the end of September, so there will be a test!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #107
I had a nice chat with the Girard rep and Goshen yesterday. He was very helpful and had a couple of parts I wanted and gave them to me free. Very nice.
We also talked about the ups and downs with the GWH and how far they as a company have come in the six or so years they have been making WH's.
They do have a gen three coming out around the first if the year. It should be starting in some units OEM before that but will be available to aftermarket the first of the year. The difference between the units sounds impressive. The gen lll will be Digital and the temperature set and held to a range of temps from 95-125 I believe. I could be wrong on that as I didn't take notes. He also said the temp would be adjusted by the sensor and if you set it to 105 it will be 105 no matter what the incoming water temp is or what your water pressure is. You will also be able to mix cold water with the hot to get the exact temp you want.
It sound good and good news is it will be able to retro fit in an existing gen l or ll hole. He also was hopeful that with the new technology they would get the Berkshire business back.
Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #108
I got a sneak peak at the Girard gen 3 and it is real slick. It has an lcd panel for controls and setting the precise temp Phil mentioned. Although it will fit in the same cut out as the gen 1 & 2 it does have a distictive new door that will have to be specialy painted to match the coach. Should be available to the public for a swap out in the spring. Looking forward to see how it performs in the beta test.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #109
We have a Girard gen II in our coach as well. I know we don't have a Berk (we're Berks cousin) I also spoke with the Girard rep here at Goshen, by the way, ours works fine. If you turn it up too high it will shut down the hot to prevent scalding. We don't use The cold line when showering.
The rep told us "find your ideal temp by adjusting the knob, purge all your's the kicker.....including your outside shower" Ideally you also want/need at least, very least, 45 psi. You don't have to purge your outside every time.....Just insure it has no air in the line. Hope that helps.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #110
That's good info. on the water pressure.
Thank you.

berkshire, heater, water, water heater