Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #121

Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

I agree with the last several post. I get a hot shower. Plenty of hot water and after a couple parts & good instructions from Girard mine is doing ok.

Just adjust the water in real (very) small increments . It's all about the temp and volume of the incoming water.

Russell

Old 09-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #122

Yes, many have gotten to learn, live and even like the Girard. The Gen II Girard is more useable then the Gen I which many Berk forum members have is a beast.

From the grapevine (maybe Phil mentioned that), Girard will be selling to the public, their Gen III, which has true automatic temperature control. Some RV manufacturers are probably putting it in now, but not for the Berkshire, since FR went with Atwood.

The Gen I can be replaced by the Gen II for I believe $350 (unit trade cost). I believe that the Gen III will fit in the Gen I or Gen II spot, but the door needs to be changed, meaning a pint match problem.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #123
7 Year Class A RV'er

You are correct, I-RV, I found gave the Gen II. I did read about the Gen III and it sounds good but I'm sure that like anything else, it will require a learning curve to get used to it. The theory is sound, just not what everyone has been doing for their entire life. Last time mine was in, the dealer had already stated if they couldn't get it fixed then they were going to replace it with the Atwood. As with the other units, including the standard tank types, the door was configured slightly different and/or was a different size, but the cavity for all of them supposedly had the same requirements. That makes sense as you want to always make your new product easy to retrofit in previous models. The paint matching is an issue, not so much on newer units but matching an older RV that's a little sun faded or whatever would be a challenge. From what I've seen, the biggest difference is getting used to showering with only the hot water on. Set the thermostat based on incoming water temp (you just gave to play with it) to get the coolest hot water you want, then simply reduce the flow at the faucet to make the water hotter. Sounds simple, but it's completely contradictory to what we've always done. I'm just stubborn and decided it wasn't going to beat me!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #124

We have a 2012 390Bh60 and had little to no hot water. Over the years we attempted every potential fix that was discussed on this forum.

Finally the solution
1 the installation of a high flow Watt pressure regulator. Although this did not give me hot water it did provide me with a far better flow rate.

2 the final solution was to change the unit from a low/auto to a low/high configuration.
This was simply done by disconnecting wires from a temp switch and connecting them together.

If anyone is interested I have instructions and photos previously posted
Old 09-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
We have a 2012 390Bh60 and had little to no hot water. Over the years we attempted every potential fix that was discussed on this forum.

Finally the solution
1 the installation of a high flow Watt pressure regulator. Although this did not give me hot water it did provide me with a far better flow rate.

2 the final solution was to change the unit from a low/auto to a low/high configuration.
This was simply done by disconnecting wires from a temp switch and connecting them together.

If anyone is interested I have instructions and photos previously posted
Lefaivre, I would be interested to see. I also am looking at changing my fixture as mentioned on a previous post. That also makes sense to me and kills two birds with one stone. Thanks.

Rich
Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #126

Well, the Atwood On Demand isn't working in our 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB today. It was working fine yesterday, nothing has changed, same site, same water hook-up, WE JUST DO NO HAVE ANY HOT WATER!!!!! In fact, the water gets colder when we run the HOT WATER.

Tried to check the main fuse, but there is NO fuse indicated for the hot water system on the fuse boxes. I am totally confused & frustrated with the situation. There is an in-line, 3 amp fuse in the the heater's compartment, which is good, but cannot locate the main fuse.

Any help?????
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD Little Rock, Arkansas
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #127

Does the red light come on? There is a red reset button in side the WH. It may need to be reset.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #128

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2-07-09-13.pdf
Old 11-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #129
7 Year Class A RV'er

Dumb question probably, but have you checked your gas?

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Dumb question probably, but have you checked your gas?

Not so dumb but I will never admit to it.
I had the switch shut off the first week we had it. Of coarse no one played with it.

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater