Old 07-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #31

I can't say I haven't had issues with mine but they seem to be worked out and my Gerard is great. We adjust sometimes especially when pulling from the tank. It was a big learning curve for my wife but once she understood the temp is all dependent on the pressure we were good. We have more issues when we are in a park with low water pressure. Then we use the tank and pump.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #32

Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

I'd like to hear from the guy that put a tank heater in. A 6 gallon one would be fine by me. I'm not impressed with my on demand Girard!!

Been on the phone today with Girard. Suggestion was to make sure to get all air out of system--low point drains, outside shower, W&D. Then take a screwdriver (the handle end) and tap on line in back of heater 7 or 8 times.

To me the above was some funny s*** but I did all that. Turn it back on and that sucker started working again ?? Not sure I care to go thru that very often. Would not be a pretty site if I had to get out of shower and go outside & tap on heater!!!

Russell

Old 07-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #33

Russell the air in the lines is in my opinion BS. Yes everything works better with no air in the line but it's not the cause of the problem. The Gerard needs consistent water pressure to set the dial btu correctly. Once that is set we control the temp by the faucet. Full blast is warm half is hot It works for us move after move. A oxygen shower head helps a lot
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #34

On mine the thought was that the valve in the back was stuck. The air was just something else he felt would help. If that valve is bad or stuck. Nothing happens!!

Russell.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #35

We have had our fights with the Gerard WH. We had the gen one and they replaced it at the factory. We thought wow we got the best now. Not so fast. It took lots of playing around with it. We also had a valve go bad. It rattles like crazy but I have that fixed for now. But we like it. We never think about running out of HW and we have the temperature thing working for us so far.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #36

I've had 6 gallon & 10 gallon water heaters in RV'S in the past. We never had any problem running out of hot water. We've used this Girard for a year with no issues till this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it going now that I understand it better.

Russell
Old 07-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #37

One more thing I thought about is the fan on the Atwood is a lot quieter than its predecessor. With our floor plan the bath in the rear and next to the bedroom every time it turned on you heard it. I never hear the Atwood fan in fact the first time it ran I went outside to confirm it was working.

Wayne
Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #38

Now your just trying to make all the rest of us feel bad !!! Lol

My guess is it won't be long before I change to something else. Most likely back to old school for me. A tank.

Russell
Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
One more thing I thought about is the fan on the Atwood is a lot quieter than its predecessor. With our floor plan the bath in the rear and next to the bedroom every time it turned on you heard it. I never hear the Atwood fan in fact the first time it ran I went outside to confirm it was working.

Wayne
Thanks for the info. on the fan noise too Wayne. That's also on the list of things I dislike abiut our Gerard.
We were at the Beach all last weekend for the 4th, had hook up's so great water pressure. Every time we use the hot water the temp. came out different. I was thinking also for when we are dry camp camping how much more water is wasted just messing around with the bloody temp. control. Also, 12volt battery power. Just to wash your hands the fan runs for an extra 35 seconds.
Never again fcr my wife and I.
Anyone know how much to remove ithe Girard and install a tank? Just thinking out loud. Our shockwave is only 4 months old but I'm getting to that point.

Cheers, Barrie.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #40

I have been having problems with mine water heater since I purchased the unit in 2011. Have attempted all of the fixes that have been talked about on this forum and nothing has worked so far. Just purchased a Watts high flow regulator but have not had a change to try it out yet. Problem certainly seems to be linked to flow rate. Proper purging of the lines is also important.

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater