Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Good to know some of them are functioning correctly. Gives me hopes mine will, too, once they get it fixed correctly. They're replacing the flow valve and the ECO right now as the tech says he's had much better luck if he replaces both at the same time. Theory is sound and the mechanical side seems reasonable, just need to have all the parts working.
I just signed on after being out of the country on a cruise. Was wondering if you had your water heater fixed yet and it looks like not quite. Anxious to see if all the current fixes work well. Ours still works OK but I am always looking at updates from Girard. We will be home until mid August then off for a major cross country trip in the Legacy for a couple months at least.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #62
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not quite yet. There was a mix up in the parts order; they just shipped Friday. Told them I need to pick it up no later than next Wednesday, so we'll see what happens. That will be two weeks they've had it in their shop! Sure hope it fixes it.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #63

Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

Well I been trying to find someone around Elkhart willing to put a tank heater in my 2014 Berkshire. No luck yet. Got a couple more companies to check.

One company wants to replace the Girard with a Truma system.

This system is an on demand system made in Germany. It has a build in one gallon bladder tank .
They rate it to be much better than the Girard or the Atwood ?? (they) being the Truma company. I check out the Truma and they are just now setting up dealers in the USA. and it's a very pricy system?!

So I'll not go that way yet. I'll keep looking and check back.

As of today with the new parts Girard sent me. I have hot water again??

Russell
Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #64
7 Year Class A RV'er

CAT-RN: I read very good things on the Truma, too. From what I'm told (I have not verified this, but may if the current fix doesn't work), all of the water heaters, tank type and tankless, are designed to fit into the same hole in order to be interchangeable for folks who want to upgrade. The difference seems to be in the doors and location of the exhaust vent. When you replace it, you have to have it painted to match your RV. If you have an older, solid white RV, then it's most likely not an issue. With the newer ones, it involves the paint shop matching everything up for you.

I spoke with the dealer again last night and the repair parts for mine finally arrived yesterday afternoon. The dealer has had the unit for two weeks yesterday and knew three weeks in advance what was wrong with the heater but wouldn't order the parts until he diagnosed it himself. They then ordered the parts with an email that they didn't bother to follow up on until I stayed on the service rep daily and verified with Girard that the parts order had not come through. After that, their "expeditor" decided to get off her rump and do her job and realized the email never went through. The parts were finally ordered last Thursday evening and shipped from CA on Friday! Girard has been great to work with - the dealer not so much. You mentioned that Girard sent the parts to you; have you figured out how to access the cold water connection on the heater? I can't figure out how to get behind the heater cabinet to reach mine. The Legacy is different, I'm sure, but possibly the access is similar.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #65

I just camped with my 2014 for the first time, and had me and the two teenagers all shower one after another. Used on board water and had no problems. Kids said they noticed water changing temp occasionally, but i did not notice it.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:51 PM   #66
7 Year Class A RV'er

Seems like when it works, it works well. I got a call late today from the service tech working on mine and he said after replacing three of the electrical components, it seems to be working great EXCEPT the blower won't shut off! He'll have to go back to Girard on Monday and debug again to see what the issue is. RV has been at the shop for three weeks next Wednesday. If they don't have it fixed by the end of next week, they plan on pulling the Girard out and replacing it with the new Atwood. I just want it to work....without scalding me again! Being burned til you blister is not fun!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
CAT-RN: I read very good things on the Truma, too. From what I'm told (I have not verified this, but may if the current fix doesn't work), all of the water heaters, tank type and tankless, are designed to fit into the same hole in order to be interchangeable for folks who want to upgrade. The difference seems to be in the doors and location of the exhaust vent. When you replace it, you have to have it painted to match your RV. If you have an older, solid white RV, then it's most likely not an issue. With the newer ones, it involves the paint shop matching everything up for you.

I spoke with the dealer again last night and the repair parts for mine finally arrived yesterday afternoon. The dealer has had the unit for two weeks yesterday and knew three weeks in advance what was wrong with the heater but wouldn't order the parts until he diagnosed it himself. They then ordered the parts with an email that they didn't bother to follow up on until I stayed on the service rep daily and verified with Girard that the parts order had not come through. After that, their "expeditor" decided to get off her rump and do her job and realized the email never went through. The parts were finally ordered last Thursday evening and shipped from CA on Friday! Girard has been great to work with - the dealer not so much. You mentioned that Girard sent the parts to you; have you figured out how to access the cold water connection on the heater? I can't figure out how to get behind the heater cabinet to reach mine. The Legacy is different, I'm sure, but possibly the access is similar.

I just got back home with mine--- I haven't installed the new parts yet. So I haven't figured how to get into the back of it yet. The parts are here from Girard.

I have figured that mine will work ok if I just got to back of coach and turn the switch on an use it. After using whatever hot water I want I need to shut the switch off. Sometimes the fan will shut off by itself sometimes it don't?? So I just shut it of manually

Now that shutting off switch after a shower can be a bit embarrassing. Probably should put a robe on or something.

I chose for no robe on day---an older lady caught me out there & came right over and asked if I was married !!
I said yes. She says that I must be very rich!! I say what makes you say that?? She says that she sees no other reason a lady would want to marry me. So I wear a robe now.

Anyway I probably tear into mine first of the week.

Russell.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I just got back home with mine--- I haven't installed the new parts yet. So I haven't figured how to get into the back of it yet. The parts are here from Girard.

I have figured that mine will work ok if I just got to back of coach and turn the switch on an use it. After using whatever hot water I want I need to shut the switch off. Sometimes the fan will shut off by itself sometimes it don't?? So I just shut it of manually

Now that shutting off switch after a shower can be a bit embarrassing. Probably should put a robe on or something.

I chose for no robe on day---an older lady caught me out there & came right over and asked if I was married !!
I said yes. She says that I must be very rich!! I say what makes you say that?? She says that she sees no other reason a lady would want to marry me. So I wear a robe now.

Anyway I probably tear into mine first of the week.

Russell.

Better to be rich and happy trust me.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #69

Ya. At my age rich would work better. Lol Sad thing is I'm not rich !! Where that leave me??

Russell
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Ya. At my age rich would work better. Lol Sad thing is I'm not rich !! Where that leave me??

Russell

With the rest of us lol

Wayne

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater