Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,145
I switched my sail switch out. Two little bolts & two wires.

I'm with you Phil--Girard's help on the phone & their next day parts shipment great. But I for one not so proud of their product in this environment.

Their #1 excuse is make sure all air out of system ???? WTH how can you get all air out of system !! Low point drains, washer, there always air in system!!!

All that being said --mine working ok right now again. Lol

Russell
__________________

__________________
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
klucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 375
Try using electrical contact cleaner in the sail switch. I had a similar issue. The sail switch was getting hung up. I got a can of electrical contact cleaner at lowes and sprayed the switch. It worked instantly after that. It looks like road dust ect can get in the switch button and make it stick.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Try using electrical contact cleaner in the sail switch. I had a similar issue. The sail switch was getting hung up. I got a can of electrical contact cleaner at lowes and sprayed the switch. It worked instantly after that. It looks like road dust ect can get in the switch button and make it stick.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

That's what I was thinking. I think I have some and will give it a try. It's been working fine all day yesterday and this morning.
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
klucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I think I have some and will give it a try. It's been working fine all day yesterday and this morning.

Hope it works for you. I now spray mine every few months. Haven't had a issue since. Let me know how it works for you. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #85
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,038
Captnrick: I agree - three weeks is absurd. My last coach was bought used and we had an extended warranty for big problems (never used it!) but I fixed the small thing myself. This heater, though, has not worked since new! Here in Florida you'd think RV repair service would be great but it really sucks. Every dealership seems to be the same story. The place we have it has something like 125 service bays and 250 technicians and they stay swamped. There are about 40 parking spaces in their service checkin lanes and I have yet to arrive and be able to park in a lane - always wind up in overflow next door. Don't even want to think what it's like when the snowbirds arrive!
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santee, CA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Captnrick: I agree - three weeks is absurd. My last coach was bought used and we had an extended warranty for big problems (never used it!) but I fixed the small thing myself. This heater, though, has not worked since new! here in Florida you'd think ZrV repair service would be great but it really sucks. Every dealership seems to be the same story. The place we have it has something like 125 service bays and 250 technicians and they stay swamped. There are about 40 parking spaces in their service checkin lanes and I have yet to arrive and be able to park in a lane - always wind up in overflow next door. Don't even want to think what it's like when the snowbirds arrive!
Wow, I had no idea it was that crowded. Thanks for the info.
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Santee, CA
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Thanks Russell. I couldn't remember the name. I have the number. I know there are lots of folks that don't like the heater but the customer service with Girard is outstanding. I have had a switch sent out and received the next day. I got the tracking number before I hung up. With there help the heater is simply to work on.
Has anyone tried to disassemble the sail switch?
Thanks for the info. I'm going to order a switch to carry in my parts arsenal.
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 417
Update on installation of watt pressure regulator

I installed my new watt regulator before going on a week long trip to Minnisota. I was really really hoping that this would finally solve my ongoing problems with this crazy Girard water heater.

I am sorry to report that although this new regulator has solved my low flow problem .... it did nothing to help me in the quest for hot or even warm water.

Since my return to Calgary I have been on the phone with Kyle at Girard.. He was convinced that my problem was improper purging of air from the system. He stressed the fact that it is very important to purge air from both the city and tank side of the system. Since I never use the tank side, I was hopeful that this may finally be the solution.

After filling the tank with water and hooking back up to system I purged the air from.bost sides. I even went so far as to run a load of wash. After testing all taps at.various flow rated, on city and pump, and with the switch on both auto and low .... I still have no consistent source of hot water.

I have sent an email to Kyle but quite frankly I am at my witty end. I have been screwing around with this water heater since I purchased my unit new in late 2011. I have attempted every possible solution that has been suggested on this forum.

All I want is a nice warm shower.

I fear my only solution is to pull this piece of cap from my RV and replace it with a standard tank style heater.

Has anyone attempted this?
__________________
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Update on installation of watt pressure regulator

I installed my new watt regulator before going on a week long trip to Minnisota. I was really really hoping that this would finally solve my ongoing problems with this crazy Girard water heater.

I am sorry to report that although this new regulator has solved my low flow problem .... it did nothing to help me in the quest for hot or even warm water.

Since my return to Calgary I have been on the phone with Kyle at Girard.. He was convinced that my problem was improper purging of air from the system. He stressed the fact that it is very important to purge air from both the city and tank side of the system. Since I never use the tank side, I was hopeful that this may finally be the solution.

After filling the tank with water and hooking back up to system I purged the air from.bost sides. I even went so far as to run a load of wash. After testing all taps at.various flow rated, on city and pump, and with the switch on both auto and low .... I still have no consistent source of hot water.

I have sent an email to Kyle but quite frankly I am at my witty end. I have been screwing around with this water heater since I purchased my unit new in late 2011. I have attempted every possible solution that has been suggested on this forum.

All I want is a nice warm shower.

I fear my only solution is to pull this piece of cap from my RV and replace it with a standard tank style heater.

Has anyone attempted this?

Do you have a Gen 1 or 2
__________________
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 417
I'm not really sure but I think it.is a Gen 1
__________________

__________________
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.