Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #81

I switched my sail switch out. Two little bolts & two wires.

I'm with you Phil--Girard's help on the phone & their next day parts shipment great. But I for one not so proud of their product in this environment.

Their #1 excuse is make sure all air out of system ???? WTH how can you get all air out of system !! Low point drains, washer, there always air in system!!!

All that being said --mine working ok right now again. Lol

Russell

Old 07-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #82

Try using electrical contact cleaner in the sail switch. I had a similar issue. The sail switch was getting hung up. I got a can of electrical contact cleaner at lowes and sprayed the switch. It worked instantly after that. It looks like road dust ect can get in the switch button and make it stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
Try using electrical contact cleaner in the sail switch. I had a similar issue. The sail switch was getting hung up. I got a can of electrical contact cleaner at lowes and sprayed the switch. It worked instantly after that. It looks like road dust ect can get in the switch button and make it stick.

That's what I was thinking. I think I have some and will give it a try. It's been working fine all day yesterday and this morning.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I think I have some and will give it a try. It's been working fine all day yesterday and this morning.

Hope it works for you. I now spray mine every few months. Haven't had a issue since. Let me know how it works for you. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #85
7 Year Class A RV'er

Captnrick: I agree - three weeks is absurd. My last coach was bought used and we had an extended warranty for big problems (never used it!) but I fixed the small thing myself. This heater, though, has not worked since new! Here in Florida you'd think RV repair service would be great but it really sucks. Every dealership seems to be the same story. The place we have it has something like 125 service bays and 250 technicians and they stay swamped. There are about 40 parking spaces in their service checkin lanes and I have yet to arrive and be able to park in a lane - always wind up in overflow next door. Don't even want to think what it's like when the snowbirds arrive!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Captnrick: I agree - three weeks is absurd. My last coach was bought used and we had an extended warranty for big problems (never used it!) but I fixed the small thing myself. This heater, though, has not worked since new! here in Florida you'd think ZrV repair service would be great but it really sucks. Every dealership seems to be the same story. The place we have it has something like 125 service bays and 250 technicians and they stay swamped. There are about 40 parking spaces in their service checkin lanes and I have yet to arrive and be able to park in a lane - always wind up in overflow next door. Don't even want to think what it's like when the snowbirds arrive!
Wow, I had no idea it was that crowded. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Thanks Russell. I couldn't remember the name. I have the number. I know there are lots of folks that don't like the heater but the customer service with Girard is outstanding. I have had a switch sent out and received the next day. I got the tracking number before I hung up. With there help the heater is simply to work on.
Has anyone tried to disassemble the sail switch?
Thanks for the info. I'm going to order a switch to carry in my parts arsenal.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #88

Update on installation of watt pressure regulator

I installed my new watt regulator before going on a week long trip to Minnisota. I was really really hoping that this would finally solve my ongoing problems with this crazy Girard water heater.

I am sorry to report that although this new regulator has solved my low flow problem .... it did nothing to help me in the quest for hot or even warm water.

Since my return to Calgary I have been on the phone with Kyle at Girard.. He was convinced that my problem was improper purging of air from the system. He stressed the fact that it is very important to purge air from both the city and tank side of the system. Since I never use the tank side, I was hopeful that this may finally be the solution.

After filling the tank with water and hooking back up to system I purged the air from.bost sides. I even went so far as to run a load of wash. After testing all taps at.various flow rated, on city and pump, and with the switch on both auto and low .... I still have no consistent source of hot water.

I have sent an email to Kyle but quite frankly I am at my witty end. I have been screwing around with this water heater since I purchased my unit new in late 2011. I have attempted every possible solution that has been suggested on this forum.

All I want is a nice warm shower.

I fear my only solution is to pull this piece of cap from my RV and replace it with a standard tank style heater.

Has anyone attempted this?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Update on installation of watt pressure regulator

I installed my new watt regulator before going on a week long trip to Minnisota. I was really really hoping that this would finally solve my ongoing problems with this crazy Girard water heater.

I am sorry to report that although this new regulator has solved my low flow problem .... it did nothing to help me in the quest for hot or even warm water.

Since my return to Calgary I have been on the phone with Kyle at Girard.. He was convinced that my problem was improper purging of air from the system. He stressed the fact that it is very important to purge air from both the city and tank side of the system. Since I never use the tank side, I was hopeful that this may finally be the solution.

After filling the tank with water and hooking back up to system I purged the air from.bost sides. I even went so far as to run a load of wash. After testing all taps at.various flow rated, on city and pump, and with the switch on both auto and low .... I still have no consistent source of hot water.

I have sent an email to Kyle but quite frankly I am at my witty end. I have been screwing around with this water heater since I purchased my unit new in late 2011. I have attempted every possible solution that has been suggested on this forum.

All I want is a nice warm shower.

I fear my only solution is to pull this piece of cap from my RV and replace it with a standard tank style heater.

Has anyone attempted this?

Do you have a Gen 1 or 2
Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #90

I'm not really sure but I think it.is a Gen 1

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater