Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Getting Help from Forest River

I have had my Berkshire XL for 8 months now. It has spent 6 of those months in shops to fix things that where supposed too be fixed before delivery. We finally got to take it out on our first trip. Two things didn't work. 1-transfer switch 2- hot water heater. I was in contact with Forest River will we were on the trip. (No help then) and now they can't seem to find a shop to take it to for the repairs.
Has anyone else had this trouble?

Forest River Forums
D_V_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

No. We full time and have not had a issue getting repairs. What issues are you having with the TS and the WH? Also who did you talk to at FR?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #3

For the last 8 months I have been very Poll light and nice. I am getting to the end of nice. I have now owned for 8 months and had the couch for almost 1 month. Got to use it one time and are told that it will be next year before it can go in a shop. Sorry put I did not spend this kind of money to have this kind of game.

Forest River Forums
Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

Hi,

Sorry you are having these problems. It sure takes the joy out of a new rig...

In contrast, I have found both my dealer (Holiday Hour in DeKalb, IL) and the folks in Forest River to be responsive and competent in each contact I've had on warranty -- and even out-of-warranty -- assistance.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Know your pain. Ours spent more time at shop then at home the first year. Would contact Randy Houser at FR and see if he will authorize a mobile repair person to make repairs and reimburse you the cost. Just get his appoval first and bypass the dealer.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #6

Help us help you, what type of hw do you have? Girard , Atwater ? Sometimes you just have to fix things yourself. I had few issues with our Charleston , mitch, at FR would send me the part an I would install. But this forum has a world of knowledge . For the asking
Just trying to help , Mike at FR factory tech is a big help also
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

I would try to go to the Goshen Rally, if you can. I have heard wonderful stories of Forest River fixing and replacing things that are wrong with rigs. It is probably too late to find a camping spot, but you could try.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

Help at FR

I had a lot of trouble getting my rig fixed locally. I called FR, and they were very helpful. Try giving Mike Bukowski at Forest River Diesel Motors Division a call at 574-293-6137. He was very easy to work with, and got me fixed up quickly.

Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #9

Hopefully FROG Bob will be along shortly to offer some guidance, he is very busy with final plans for the International Rally, give him a chance to reply and I am sure he will assist you in finding help.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_V_rob View Post
For the last 8 months I have been very Poll light and nice. I am getting to the end of nice. I have now owned for 8 months and had the couch for almost 1 month. Got to use it one time and are told that it will be next year before it can go in a shop. Sorry put I did not spend this kind of money to have this kind of game.

Forest River Forums

So you didn't answer any questions that were asked but did manage to get a bunch of people complaining. If you would like help people on the forum will help in any way possible. Give some info. I can give you phone numbers and email address to contact. You will get help from folks here and from FR diesel. FRD is the best. They make things happen and will get you squired away. All you are getting now is the same people complaining about God knows what.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So you didn't answer any questions that were asked but did manage to get a bunch of people complaining. If you would like help people on the forum will help in any way possible. Give some info. I can give you phone numbers and email address to contact. You will get help from folks here and from FR diesel. FRD is the best. They make things happen and will get you squired away. All you are getting now is the same people complaining about God knows what.

Phil tells it like it is. I for one have never seen a post by you until today. There is help out there if you want it. If you just want to complain, so be it.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #12

A wise old veteran of many Motorhomes asked if I have had any problems with my Motorhome and when I said no he said " you will. Just roll with it". He was right and yes I had issues but I did roll with it and with the help from FR Diesel Div and Randy Houser in particular it has been a joy.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #13

Randy and company are the best in the industry there are great people that Berkshires and are willing to help each other. Do a google search to find other owners some sites are more helpful without having to filter the chaff.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #14
mdr

I hope you have better luck with FR than I had. Randy was responsive but told me they only have time for coaches that are still under warranty...
mdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #15

Ok phil57
You are very quick to jump on this. Just to let you know I had to go to work. What it looks like is there are a hole bunch of people that are pist off, this may be because nobody is taking care of the problems.
Please tell me what questions you have?
I will let you know it is a 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB I have been speaking with Mike there at the factory, the biggest problem is they have two dealers in S. California and they both are very bad.

Forest River Forums
Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #16

I asked two questions. First, what problems are you having with the water heater? What brand is it? I assume it the Atwood. Several things we can try to get it working but we need more info.
Second the transfer switch. It's very unusual to have issues with that. What is it not doing? What have you tried? Transfer switches are readily available and easy to change. This should not be a reason to keep your rig for months.
Lots of first year issues with RV's. This is common but not a reason to be pissed off. Let's get this sorted out and get you back to having fun.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #17
Site Team

The site has done a cleanup in this thread, and removed several posts that were extremely off-topic to the members problem. Let's try to keep this thread on topic, and see if we can help this member get his water heater and transfer switch fixed, so he can enjoy his RV.

Thanks, Your FRF Site Team

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
I would try to go to the Goshen Rally, if you can. I have heard wonderful stories of Forest River fixing and replacing things that are wrong with rigs. It is probably too late to find a camping spot, but you could try.
Sorry - it's sold out for this year.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

Hi,

Relatively new here -- asking this for myself and others who may want to take advantage of this unusual support oportunity.

What's the timing and strategy to get a slot for next year's Rally?

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #20

Off the top of my head I don't remember the brand of water heater, but I do no it is not a Atwater. What is is doing is not making hot water. The fan will start then it shuts off.
The transfer switch according to Forest River will go out from time to time. Mine is not transferring to shore power.

Forest River Forums

Tags
forest river