Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #1

Girard tankless water heater

I had my original Girard generation 1 water heater swapped out today with a new Girard Generation 2 water heater. What a difference in the performance of the new heater. Water temperatures were held much more constant with the Gen 2.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #2

Marty,
Happy to hear that you are having better luck with the gen 2 water heater. Was it replaced under warranty? Sounds like you are gearing up for your big trip.
Hope all is well.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

Tom
Girard provided the exchange but I had to pay the labor charges. It had it done at Boat N RV Megastore in Ridgeland SC. They did a great installation job. Happy all worked out well. Getting ready for the big trip. My son just finished washing the roof and once it dries I will put Protectorant 303 on it. It is amazing how much dirt accumulates on the roof in a couple of months.
Marty
Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

Marty,
The roof sure does accumulate a lot of dirt, especially this time of year with all the pollen. Just make sure that you are careful putting the 303 on. The roof will get very slippery. What I do is go to the Dollar Store. They sell a sponge mop which is what I use to apply the 303. If it lasts for the entire roof, I will save it for next time. If not, I toss it. It is $1 well spent. What's departure date?
Tom
ps- If your son wants to take a ride north, my roof could use a washing too(LOL!!).

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Marty, my roof also! Maybe Tom and I can work out a deal!! Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #6

Biggest difference I noticed was the ability to generate hot water when the incoming water is cold.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

What does the 303 do for the roof? I have heard of using it on the slide gaskets, but never the roof. Where would one find this product? thanx
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

On the fiberglass roofs it is a protective coating that supposedly absorbs some of the UV rays. It also helps resist some dirt build up. I get mine from West Marine but it can also be ordered on line. There are many different 303 products so I use 303 Protectorant.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

Mmnsc, how did you get then to change it out. I am pretty fed up with mine! My kids can't even get it to work right. The big thing is I use a ton of water trying to get the water hot, and when running off the tank, that really stinks.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

I met Jerry Rennert, Girards Genaral Manager at the FMCA rally in Perry GA in March. I explained the issue and he asked me to go through some test which I did. At the end of the test and no improvement he said he would send me a Generation 2 water heater and I would have to pay for the installation and shipping the old unit back to the factory. It cost me a total of about $240 but I felt it was worthwhile to get a workable water heater.

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater