Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

Girard Tankless Water Heater Replacement ?

Has anyone replaced their tankless water heater?

We have the Generation 1 heater and all is fine if we have relatively warm water coming into the coach whether from the RV park or if the water is warm in the holding tank.

We just returned from Yellowstone and the water coming from the park was cold which equaled NO hot water for showers, no matter how slow you let the water flow.

Tired of this heater.... Curious to see if anyone has replaced their heater with a standard tank (not sure where it would fit) or installed another brand of heater.

Waiting for Girard to open this morning for them to tell me I don't know how to operate the unit...

Would love to have a normal water heater, with cooler / cold temps this fall in the East this fall it makes camping no fun!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I spoke with the Girard rep at the Goshen rally this year, and the newer units have a variable temp output knob which supposedly eliminates the problem you're having. I don't have one of these units but was curious about them and knew of some problems people were having. Do you have the HI/Low switch set to HI?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I spoke with the Girard rep at the Goshen rally this year, and the newer units have a variable temp output knob which supposedly eliminates the problem you're having. I don't have one of these units but was curious about them and knew of some problems people were having. Do you have the HI/Low switch set to HI?

I do and even installed the jumper wire they recommended. I guess I just can't go camping in cold weather... LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #4

I have had both the gen 1 and 2 and found the gen 2 works much better. On both units the trick for us was to purge the air out of the lines. One that is missed often is the washer if you have one. Also a low flow shower head is a must. I didn't remember what brand we have but it's the one that mixes air with the water. With the jumper installed I think your switch is on the outside. From what I was told the jumper is to turn down the BTU on the heater. I didn't care for it. I have the Gen 2 and really love it. It takes a little getting used two but works great. I'm not saying your not having problems and I hope that you get it fixed.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #5

I installed the jumper at the end of the season last year and thought all was taken care of... Until we have to use cold water either from the park or when boondocking and it is cold outside and the tank water is cold.

I have bleed the air from all the lines and we use the washer all the time with the kids.

We had hot shower water the whole way home when using water from the tank and air temps in the 70 & 80's the whole way back to PA.

It's to the point I want to pay to install another brand. I have spoke to Atwood and Precision and of course all say Girard is no good and theirs are the best.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
Has anyone replaced their tankless water heater?

We have the Generation 1 heater and all is fine if we have relatively warm water coming into the coach whether from the RV park or if the water is warm in the holding tank.

We just returned from Yellowstone and the water coming from the park was cold which equaled NO hot water for showers, no matter how slow you let the water flow.

Tired of this heater.... Curious to see if anyone has replaced their heater with a standard tank (not sure where it would fit) or installed another brand of heater.

Waiting for Girard to open this morning for them to tell me I don't know how to operate the unit...

Would love to have a normal water heater, with cooler / cold temps this fall in the East this fall it makes camping no fun!
EJM4:

Ditto your comments, but I think we've cracked the nut. We now get any range of desireable shower temp with no fluctuations.

Knowing that Berkshire tested their plumbing to a static pressure of 80 psig with no failures (but will not recommend any static (supply) pressure above 45 psig for third party component warranty considerations - like the Girard WH), I cranked my inlet pressure regulator up to 52 psig (where available), and turned the heater selection switch to "Low" (one burner operation). I now get a CONSTANT (no fluctuation) temp choice ranging between lukewarm and too hot.

Word of caution: Don't add any devices, fittings or tubing upstream of the WH, like a custom manifold valving at the water panel, which will cause a dynamic (flowing) pressure drop (remember - the regulator gauge shows static pressure at hookup; if you want to see how much the dynamic (flowing) ∂P is, just turn on both the hot and cold outside shower, and then read the gauge).
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

I also did the water pressure adjustment and ended up removing the in house filter. I will replace it with a softener and filter outside. I found the in house filter to restrictive. With no filter I have good pressure at all sinks and shower. Any suggestions on a softener filter combo?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

I had similar issues and also the opposite - could not get the water cool enough even on low. Living in Texas, the incoming water, is often 80F+ and even on low, the shower was too hot. Trying to mix in some cold water just made the thing "limit" and cycle on/off. Gerard sent me a new generation heater for $350 as a trade for the existing one. I installed it myself in about an hour as it was wired/plumbed the same. We now have a continuously variable heater and can mix in cold water as needed. I cannot yet speak for the cold incoming water issue (have to wait for Texas winter for that). But the new generation has solved the other issues for me. Having unlimited capacity is a must for use as there are normally 5 showers in a row and my girls take forever...

I actually replaced the showerhead with a Moen putting out 2.5gpm. So far we have only turned the dial to the half way point and lower. In the winter, I'll put back on the original shower head (1.3gpm) which should allow for higher temperature rises.

We were just in the Smokies where the incoming water was around 50F and had the dial about half way with the high flow shower head.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I also did the water pressure adjustment and ended up removing the in house filter. I will replace it with a softener and filter outside. I found the in house filter to restrictive. With no filter I have good pressure at all sinks and shower. Any suggestions on a softener filter combo?
What a good idea! One could argue correctly that you could just turn up the pressure to compensate for the loss through the filter, but at the no flow (static) condition, the pressure everywhere in the system comes up to the regulator reading, and could damage the components or piping.

By putting the filter upstream of the inlet regulator, you can run the filter at campground pressure, and then set the static pressure downstream to a safe level, say 52 psig, without suffering the ∂P through the filter in the flow condition.

I didn't do the jumper mod to convert from "Auto/Low" to "High/Low", because I had (probably unrealistically high) hopes that when the water passes through the hose in cold weather (ground water is constant temp year round) the WH can choose both burners without cycling back and forth (right!).
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

WE have one too I agree with you i miss my regular water tank Has anyone replaced their tankless water heater?

Would love to have a normal water heater, with cooler / cold temps this fall in the East this fall it makes camping no fun![/QUOTE]

Tags
heater, replacement, tank, water, water heater