Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #1

Girard water heater

We have a 2012 Berk 390BH60. The Girard on demand water heater has been a source of agrivation since day 1. The level of heating has been hit and miss at best and have only on a couple of occasions achieved what I would.concider hot water. Over the years I have attempted every possible solution that this forum has suggested. Most recently I was able to increase the flow rate by installing a watt pressure regulator.

None of my efforts have provided me with sustained hot water.

Last week I contacted Kyle at Girard. He has suggested.a.rather scientific approach to the problem. After going through extensive purging of air from the system I started some detailed testing.

On each tap I have measured input Temps, flow rate, output temp. Kyle suggested an optimal flow rate of 1.2gpm.

The first interesting outcome was that the max flow rate.from the kitchen sink was only about .8gpm.
Even at this low rate the output temp was only a little over 100 degree. This is well below the min dish washing temp of 110 degree.

The max.flow rate on inside and outside shower is about 1.4gpm. Max temp still in the 100 to 103 range.

Temp variation between auto and low setting about 10 degree. Close to design spec.

Delta temp input to output about 45 degree which is at the low end of design spec.

My problem is .... although this heater is working at.the low end of.design spec, it fall drastically short.of.providing what anybody would concider hot water. ....

Has anyone swapped out this unit with a standard water.heater.

I am waiting to see the outcome of my conversation with Kyle but quite honestly I am not very hopeful
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

I have a 2012 with most of the same problems. There are man. threads on the Girard that you can search. I'd like to comment on a few points.

The Gen I Girard has two burner rates (let's call Lo & Hi). The Auto switch position will put the burner in the Hi mode if the input water temp. is low. Girard sent out modification kits to make the Auto position the Hi burn rate. I installed mine; not sure if you had.

I had the same miserable flow rate at the kitchen sink, which cause the Girard to kick off when it reached 122 degrees. I found a one-way valve in series with the sink's faucet output below the faucet (a like 1 inch chrome barrel). I removed it and get the same flow as in the bathroom sink.

Last of all, I have heard that the Gen II Girard can be controlled much better, but not perfect. I also believe that Girard will upgrade your Gen I for around $330 (for the heater only, the labor is on you).

I understand that FR has now changed from Girard to Atwood.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

Hurray .... I finally have hot water.

After several years of look warm water, I can finally take a hot shower.

After doing extensive testing with Kyle , he determined that my problem was a faulty thermostat on the Auto setting. Once this thermostat was taken offline I have hot water.

To locate this switch open the outside access panel to the water heater. On the back left side of the compartment attached to a brass water line is a small round device with 2 black wires and blue connectors coming in to it.

Remove the two blue connectors from the switch. Remove the blade connectors from the wires and connect the two wires.

The net result.of this change is to give a high low setting rather than an auto low setting.
I am now able to produce 188f water in the kitchen sink and 111f in the shower
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Girard water heater

Is that switch screwed onto the water valve with two small screws?

If so can you just take it off ??

I see that you are talking about a round switch?? I talking about a small rectangle plastic piece ??

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

They had me try that with my Gen 1 system. It did not work. Finally FR swapped it out for a Gen 2 system and it works perfect with the water coming in the coach is relatively warm, if it is not, it is difficult to achieve hot water.

I would say of any aspect of the Berkshire I HATE it's the damn water heater.

I promised myself the next coach will have Aqua Hot or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Hurray .... I finally have hot water.

After several years of look warm water, I can finally take a hot shower.

After doing extensive testing with Kyle , he determined that my problem was a faulty thermostat on the Auto setting. Once this thermostat was taken offline I have hot water.

To locate this switch open the outside access panel to the water heater. On the back left side of the compartment attached to a brass water line is a small round device with 2 black wires and blue connectors coming in to it.

Remove the two blue connectors from the switch. Remove the blade connectors from the wires and connect the two wires.

The net result.of this change is to give a high low setting rather than an auto low setting.
I am now able to produce 188f water in the kitchen sink and 111f in the shower
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Location of auto switch.

The location of the auto temp switch is on the back of heater enclosure ... top left. See photos. Please note that second photo needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to show correct orientation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438044390264.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	84340   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438044427755.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	84341  
Old 07-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #7

To confirm I understand this, what you did is remove the two blue wires from that switch and connect them together instead ?

Thanks for the post and pics.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #8

Kenny

Yes. Kyle from Girard had me disconnect the two black wires with blue connectors from the switch and connect them together. Kyle suggested a female to female blade connector however I was not able to locate such a device so I simply cut the ends off and used a marette.

Tags
heater, water, water heater