Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Family Man with an RV

Send a message via Skype™ to doctormdj
Got a Jeep 4D Rubicon as a Toad on 340HP 390BH?

So we are thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD / AUTO. Found one we like with all the bells and whistles. Total weight is 4317 lbs as our tow vehicle. Went around the block on this for a while with the wife and finally came to the conclusion that this is the one for our family of 5. We already own 2 cars and a motorcycle so this will be a third car that will be double as a fun convertible and Toad for the RV trips.

I'd love to here any thoughts from any 390BH 340 owners who have chosen this as a toad. We did the math and had our RV weighed with Full Fuel, the kids, wife, me, food, Firewood and all 5 bikes and Full Water. We really wanted to max it out to get a good idea as to where we would be. With the new Jeep we are under 33,000 lbs on the 340HP. I'd love to know how anyone else who has this as a toad is doing with their 340.

- Jason

Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Pete

We don't have a Berkshire, but have a Georgetown 378TS. We are fulltimers and are close to max on weight. We tow a 2012 Rubicon 4 DR, 4 WD with no issues.

Mileage not towing is around 7mpg: towing is around 6.8mpg; if one can rely on the engine trip computer.

We have the Roadmaster Invisibrake for supplemental braking on the Jeep.

gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post
So we are thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD / AUTO. Found one we like with all the bells and whistles. Total weight is 4317 lbs as our tow vehicle. Went around the block on this for a while with the wife and finally came to the conclusion that this is the one for our family of 5. We already own 2 cars and a motorcycle so this will be a third car that will be double as a fun convertible and Toad for the RV trips.

I'd love to here any thoughts from any 390BH 340 owners who have chosen this as a toad. We did the math and had our RV weighed with Full Fuel, the kids, wife, me, food, Firewood and all 5 bikes and Full Water. We really wanted to max it out to get a good idea as to where we would be. With the new Jeep we are under 33,000 lbs on the 340HP. I'd love to know how anyone else who has this as a toad is doing with their 340.

- Jason
I have a bh390-60. I purchased a wrangler Sahara unlimited. I have a blue ox tow bar. The base plate was easy to install and looks fine. It tows great. Much easier than my mini van on a tow dolly. I have towed it about 3500 miles already and get about 10mph towing. The jeep is super easy to set up to tow. Trans case in neutral , transmission in park. There is no steering lock in the newer jeeps so take the key out lock the door and your done. Great vehicle for a toad.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
I have a bh390-60. I purchased a wrangler Sahara unlimited. I have a blue ox tow bar. The base plate was easy to install and looks fine. It tows great. Much easier than my mini van on a tow dolly. I have towed it about 3500 miles already and get about 10mph towing. The jeep is super easy to set up to tow. Trans case in neutral , transmission in park. There is no steering lock in the newer jeeps so take the key out lock the door and your done. Great vehicle for a toad.
One last question for both of you. Should I get a Rubicon or a Sahara? I found a 2012 of each and about to pull the final trigger. Love your thoughts on your choice for one over the other?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormdj View Post

One last question for both of you. Should I get a Rubicon or a Sahara? I found a 2012 of each and about to pull the final trigger. Love your thoughts on your choice for one over the other?
I really liked the extra bells on the rubicon. However the Sahara I purchased had the color match top, GPS ect and saved some money. It's a personal preference.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Family Man with an RV

Thanks a million.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #7

We have a 390BH with the 360 for our family of 5 as well, and debated which Jeep. We ended up going with the Oscar Mike special edition which blends the look and features of both Rubicon and Sahara for less money and we absolutely love it. While the Rubicon has some heavy duty offroading features that would be fun, we've been able to tackle some pretty gnarly roads up in the Wasatch mountains without problems. We also went with the soft top, which wasn't what I was thinking at first (worried about wind noise, etc) but decided to after a test drive and so glad we did, it's very easy to take down the top, and have the Jeep experience.

For towing, we went with the Air Force One air brake system and Blue Ox tow bar - neither is cheap, but I found the combo fast, easy, and secure, so well worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1759147690.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	32576

Name:	image-3271962636.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	32578
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1313145970.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	32577  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

I pull a Saraha behing my Charleston (posting here, no one seems to have a Charleston...LOL). It has the 450hp cummins, I never even know the Jeep is there, glad it has a camera. It did cost me 1 MPG or so. Going 70mph I get around 6.5 - 7 towing. Also use the blue ox towbar, looks good, very easy to hook up. Get ready for a nice rubber burning smell when you run the Jeep after towing for a few hundred miles.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #9

I noticed that of all the Jeep Wrangler toad setups, something probably not known is that it is one vehicle that does offer a factory harness for toad use. Basically plug and play, no scotch locks.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Family Man with an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
I noticed that of all the Jeep Wrangler toad setups, something probably not known is that it is one vehicle that does offer a factory harness for toad use. Basically plug and play, no scotch locks.
Really? Do tell? Can you offer any more details. This is going to be our first toad and we decided to go with the Rubicon. It will be here in a week or so and looking for just the right set up to get ready to pull it. I'm doing my research but if there is a cheaper solution and anything that is plug and play I'd be thrilled. Right now I'm looking at $4K or so to be able to pull my jeep with my 390BH. Any thoughts or good directions, tips or instructions on what the best solution is to do.