Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

GPS in Berkshire

Think its crazy that the Berkshire doesnt come with a GPS standard. Is there some model of GPS that will work with the rear/side cameras so I can have an in dash GPS? I pick my new motorhome up from the dealer in two weeks but this issue is really bugging me, especially since I will be driving it in areas that I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks for any ideas.

Marcusfan
Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
Think its crazy that the Berkshire doesnt come with a GPS standard. Is there some model of GPS that will work with the rear/side cameras so I can have an in dash GPS? I pick my new motorhome up from the dealer in two weeks but this issue is really bugging me, especially since I will be driving it in areas that I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks for any ideas.

Marcusfan
I feel like you.... It sux that FR couldn't have put in a slightly more expensive in dash unit that included GPS capabilities.

I think that most of the units made by Jensen, Magnadyne and others will be pretty much plug compatible with the one FR put in there. And the dash cutout will be exactly the same size as well.

If you're willing to spend the $$$ the swap out should take only about 5 minutes to do. Just mention it to your dealer and they should easily be able to make the swap for you.

Good luck and let us know how you come out; I suspect there are others on here that have a better handle on this than I do.

Mine is a Jensen 209TP (no GPS), if memory serves me correctly.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I'm actually glad that they don't put a unit in the dash. Most of the in-dash GPS units are outdated so quickly that it doesn't make much sense to have a GPS that is outdated. For the few hundred dollars that a portable unit costs you are better off to get a Rand or a Garmin and just use that. Always be aware that GPS units are prone to bad info and know where you are going BEFORE you leave.

Ed
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

Ed, The GPS maps can be updated. Or are you talking about other features that gaet dated. For instance, we have two vehicles both with GPS units but the newer one has a traffic alert that the other doesnt have. I think I would still rather have the in-dash unit. Thanks for giving me something else to consider.

Marcusfan
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #5

marcusfan,

I agree with wnytaxman, my 2008 360QS came with a Jensen that had to be replaced twice. The slide out monitor would stick in the closed position and would not deploy. The last time it was replaced was in April 2012 and Andy at Forest River said he was lucky to get one as that model has been discontiinued for some time. I started to look for a better unit with GPS but it seems that the new units use a slightly larger dash cutout. I confirmed this with both Forest River and Jensen (drawings are available in pdf files on line). Andy even offered to find a new dash section but there were some small changes to the switches and so forth. I think it is best to leave well enough alone and use an aftermarket product. I use a Garmin with the audio cable connected to the aux cables on the Jensen that also acts as an mp3 player, we load a set of playlists on an SDcard it does not repeat itself for over 20 hours and off we go. The traffic alert and voice direction overide the music so we do not miss any directions. Also the bluetooth, if turned on, takes over the cellphone if we so desire to be available to anyone.

GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #6

Area51, where and how did you mount your portable GPS? I used to have one that mounted to a bean bag type thing that sat on the dash and it was always sliding around when I went around a corner. I'm not ppposed to a portable if I can find a way around that problem. Also, if you dont mind saying, what model do you have? I am partial to Garmin because they show the speed limit and I use that feature all the time in an unfamiliar area. Thanks for the assistance. I am so excited and all I can do is read this board to get my fix until my coach gets here.

Marcusfan
Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Berkshire 390QS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-18-10-45-25.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	41283

Got one of these at best buy and it's between the monitor the gauges.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

I have the Magellan Roadmate -RV/Truckers version... It's a great unit. I can enter the height, width and weight of my rig and it keeps me off roads that might cause me problems i.e. low bridges, narrow streets, etc. cost $350 but well worth it.... Used it on a 4K mile trip this past Summer and it worked like a champ ... It also has campground and fuel features as well...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #9

I have a VDO Dayton PC 5200 Truck GPS module that operates through the Jensen flip out screen via a remote control. Unit is hidden. Previous owner had it installed. Haven't been able to get the remote to work with it yet but will be pretty slick when I figure it out. Been using a garmin for now.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #10

marcusfan,

I mount the Garmin NUVI GPS on the left of the cockpit using the attachment Garmin provides. Also, as stated the speed and altitude are easily visible to the driver. Trying to see the speed either in the display unit or on the speedo can be annoying. I think most of us who drive a rig this big and tow something behind will pretty much stay to the main highways and use the toad to explore. When you can move the GPS to the toad is where it really makes sense to have all the features. I also have a DeLorme System with a bluetooth logger and all the associated gear, but I very seldom use it.

GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I'm actually glad that they don't put a unit in the dash. Most of the in-dash GPS units are outdated so quickly that it doesn't make much sense to have a GPS that is outdated. For the few hundred dollars that a portable unit costs you are better off to get a Rand or a Garmin and just use that. Always be aware that GPS units are prone to bad info and know where you are going BEFORE you leave.

Ed
Ed, I agree! We had an in dash GPS with our 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and it was almost worthless for navigation compared to aftermarket units. Outdated maps and really poor features. As an option I think it was in the $1,000 range!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

I also use a garmin and attach it to the left side cockpit with the provided suction cup. Works great and I have a clear view of it. The main reason I would not want the in-dash is because I utilize my camera while towing my toad for judging when vehicles are clear and also so I know it's riding good. Especially in turns, I like to ensure my toad isn't going to hit a curb or something else...
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #13

We replaced our in dash unit with a Kenwood DNX 890HD. This has been a fantastic unit. It is GPS, DVD, Sirius, Bluetooth, I-pod, and I-phone ready. It has the ability to use all 3 cameras and the screen tilts to your setting to minimize glare. We replaced the overhead speakers with some good ones for a great sound. My wife has the new RV GPS on her side and I now have the dash one. Rarely do they agree. You can't beat an old fashioned paper map!
frankatp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #14

I know that this is dated, but...

Does anyone know what is the factory GPS (brand/model) in-dash unit that was optionally available in 2014 400BH?

The one without GPS is Jensen JRV212T. I wander if Jensen NAV104 GPS ADD-IN can be added to it.

Also, I could not find if Jensen JRV212T has Bluetooth phone connectivity.

Thanks,
Alex
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
I know that this is dated, but...

Does anyone know what is the factory GPS (brand/model) in-dash unit that was optionally available in 2014 400BH?

The one without GPS is Jensen JRV212T. I wander if Jensen NAV104 GPS ADD-IN can be added to it.

Also, I could not find if Jensen JRV212T has Bluetooth phone connectivity.

Thanks,
Alex
If I were going to get a after market GPS, I would consider this unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT-.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Specifically designed for the RV'er and comes with free lifetime map updates!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #16

Thanks for the reply,

I think that this is a great one-to-one replacement: Magnadyne M4-LCD
(Magnadyne M4-LCD) with all the same functions such as rear view and turn signal activated cameras, GPS, Bluetooth, SD, USB, etc.... I am just trying to exercise less expensive options as this one runs $600-$800, as Jensen NAV104 GPS ADD-IN runs about $130 on Amazon. I really don't want to have separate GPS and especially separate Bluetooth module as I'd want to have GPS take over radio or a phone call if I need take hear directions.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 12-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

I'm a little late to this thread, but I have a 2015 Berk that came with the indash GPS and it is SSooooooo worthless.

I mount a Rand McNally GPS to my window.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #18

Kenny,

What make / model is your factory unit? What did you not like about it?

Thank you,
Alex
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #19
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

I have a Garmin that mounts to my left side window, works great. I also have the FGS (Female Guidance System) in the passenger seat. That system normally fails
Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #20

The later usually functions well unless it has to multitask. Simultaneous engagement of phone and guidance systems yields about 95% failure rate.