Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Grey Tank Slow To Dump

I have a 2010 Berkshire which I've owned for just over one year. I am having an issues when dumping my grey tank. It takes over 10 minutes to empty this tank which seems excessive to me. The black tank dumps in a very short time but the grey is very slow. It has always seemed slow to me since we've owned this unit but it has gotten worse lately. Has anyone run into this problem or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 AM   #2

is it a cable operated valve? Possibly cable is out of adjustment
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
The valve looks like a standard valve and I do not see any cables.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Ok we'll we have a 2014 261BHXL that had the same issue. My tt was still under warranty so the dealer did the work. After research on the frog forums I found that during construction the assemblers feel that it is easier for them to let the plug in the hole saw drop into the tank. Yeap and when that happens it closes up the drain and results in slow or non draining tanks. That is what happened to me not sure if you have the same issue. If yours was draining fine before check you roof plumbing vent

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #5

Do you ever get a gurgling sound? I am wondering if you have a vent problem.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

I have a 2010 as well. My grey is the left handle. My normal procedure is to empty the black tank and then empty the grey. Quite often, the black water backs up the sewer so, when I release the grey, the grey water fills the sewer hose and drains slowly. Is your hose full of water or is the grey tank trickling out? If its just a trickle, you may have an obstruction or faulty valve. A wire might help you probe the valve opening and, if that is fully open, you can use the wire to push deeper to the tank orifice. Just be thankful you dont have to do that on the black water tank.
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

My grey tank was draining slowly - I drained it then filled the black with as clean water as possible and with the grey valve opened I opened the black - since the both come together I hoped the pressure would remove any obstacle I may have been lucky but that seemed to work

ehpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #8

Although the Grey tank is much larger that the black, it should still drain quite quickly. Does the flow rate in the hose actually slow down relative to black.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

Thank you all for your replies. Yesterday I went on the roof, removed the vent pipe covers and ran water down both pipes. I then replace the vent covers with spring loaded covers that are easier to remove. When I drained the tank the grey water drained at a normal rate. Possibly I got a spider web or something in the vent pipe although I had run water in them last February also. Now if I caulked the holes correct on the roof I should be OK.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Tags
tank