Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #81

Luray, Va
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
OK, so weather is not too hot?? Looking for a month-to-month RV site to try for next summer (or maybe even August of this year).

Any suggestions??

We love "off-the-beaten-path" places.

Boowho??
I think you'll want to to get more elevation than Story to guarantee cooler weather. The base of the Big Horns is beautiful but can be warm. Have you looked at Buena Vista CO? It's got a rural feel, about 8800' surrounded by 14'ers. Lots of Jeep and ATV trails, there's a hot springs nearby, etc. We'll make a quick pass through there around Aug 1. We're doing a COS>>Buena Vista>>Breckenridge loop.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #83
2006 Georgetown 340

On our way out to Mount Rushmore. Spent the 4th at Wisconsin Dells and now driving to SD. stopping in Sioux Falls for the night.
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #84

Yep, Story can be warm like yesterday in the 80s, but today is cool and rainy! Changable
weather? It's only 5000 ' but gets more rain and snow than places nearby. Still beautifully green with lots if creeks. Little town, no "bright lights"- peaceful.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #85

York. Any fish in them creeks?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by compint View Post
On our way out to Mount Rushmore. Spent the 4th at Wisconsin Dells and now driving to SD. stopping in Sioux Falls for the night.

Where are you staying? We are at French Creek in downtown Custer.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #87

We stayed at Yogi Bear in Princeton Indiana. Nice campground but not happy with people who run it. We don't go to many campgrounds but this one was more than 2/3 rd owner owned and occupied meaning you buy and maintain your site so our site was surrounded by full time owners. The site next to us was nothing spectacular but grass was cut owners got into our faces after our dogs on leashes went over into their yard. I pick up after our pets but owners said dogs don't need to be in their yard. Owner who was a steering committee member threatened to file complaint with park ranger REALLY? I told him this makes us feel real welcome. For a person who has something to do with running the park for him and his wife to be this way just amazes me. Guess they are anti dog lovers. Procedure with caution.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #88

Percy Quin State Park, McComb MS. Some camping....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436191768.004859.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	82175

....and a little golf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436191814.526699.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	82176
Old 07-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
We stayed at Yogi Bear in Princeton Indiana. Nice campground but not happy with people who run it. We don't go to many campgrounds but this one was more than 2/3 rd owner owned and occupied meaning you buy and maintain your site so our site was surrounded by full time owners. The site next to us was nothing spectacular but grass was cut owners got into our faces after our dogs on leashes went over into their yard. I pick up after our pets but owners said dogs don't need to be in their yard. Owner who was a steering committee member threatened to file complaint with park ranger REALLY? I told him this makes us feel real welcome. For a person who has something to do with running the park for him and his wife to be this way just amazes me. Guess they are anti dog lovers. Procedure with caution.

That's an awful way to treat guests. We have a seasonal lot at Hidden Ridge and some friends stayed a couple of days in the park. He asked why everyone waved at him. It's just a friendly park and everyone guests or seasonal are welcome. That's the way it should be.
We lived in Mishawaka for a couple of years back in the early 80's. Boy has that place changed.
Safe travels

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would send this one up to corporate for yogi parks as they are not usually lie this. Although your dog shouldn't have been on their lot in the first place that was a way over reaction on his part.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
I think you'll want to to get more elevation than Story to guarantee cooler weather. The base of the Big Horns is beautiful but can be warm. Have you looked at Buena Vista CO? It's got a rural feel, about 8800' surrounded by 14'ers. Lots of Jeep and ATV trails, there's a hot springs nearby, etc. We'll make a quick pass through there around Aug 1. We're doing a COS>>Buena Vista>>Breckenridge loop.

Yahoo!!! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Buena Vista is HIGH (pun intended) on my list for next year. I may just run thru there to check out the long term CG's (for next year) on my way back to Yuma, AZ for the winter.

I used to live (sticks-and-bricks home) near Westcliffe, CO, so I'm a real Colorado aficionado. Since you used the term "14'ers" I assume you are from Colorado; or are quite familiar with it??

So, will you be going over Independence pass; should still be quite a bit of snow up there (around 12K feet IIRC)?

If you could give me some feedback on any parks you stay at in that area, it would be MOST appreciated.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #92

Had a Golden Lab for 16 1/2 years so i am not a anti dog person so no one take this wrong. I don't think dog owners quite understand how people feel when your dogs are doing their thing on someone elses property whether it be at a campground or your front yard. There are "dog rules" at campgrounds for these reasons. People come first.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I would send this one up to corporate for yogi parks as they are not usually lie this. Although your dog shouldn't have been on their lot in the first place that was a way over reaction on his part.

NO one explained to us at anytime that lots were privately owned plus in the 5 days we were there I saw other owners and neighbors of theirs with dogs walk across yards including theirs. I just thought he was truly anal and park ranger was siding with him ready to fill out a written complaint. All I could say was really and you've got to be kidding if I hadn't paid for the days in advance I would have broke camp and headed home.
They don't care if I come back or not as they were sold out 3 weeks ago.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I strongly disagree.......

First, I LOVE dogs. I'm not a dog owner myself because I don't want the responsibility..... But I do literally love them; they are the most phenomenal creatures....

HOWEVER, when you pull into ANY CG where pets are to be strictly controlled (either leashed or kept inside your unit) and you immediately allow your animals to get on someone else's lot YOU are in the wrong; NOT the grouchy person that got in your face. You may not like it, but they are well within their rights. Remember, many people (unlike me) do NOT love dogs and regard then as a nuisance.

Since I myself could "slip up" once in a great while and let mine loose (shame on me), that is ONE of the responsibilities I don't want. Basically, there are few "bad" dogs; just bad dog owners.

And you are correct..... Heavily owner owned/leased parks DO view weekenders and "2 weekers" with a jaundiced eye. I'm a full-timer and even I get the "snobby treatment" in some of those types of parks. Also, the fact that you saw other dog owners letting their dogs run loose is really a shame. Above all else, ALL rules should be enforced equally for all.

Boowho??
Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #95

Need an unpost button
Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #96

Quote:
Need an unpost button

Not at all. If there is one thing that this forum will never agree on its dogs. I don't feel that you did anything wrong unless your dog was off leash. If you are saying what I think you are and the dog was at the edge of the lot well that is what dogs do. They smell and mark and it doesn't really hurt anything. If the dog was off leash or on one of those retractable leashes well you might have been wrong but clearly he overreacted. I love the sighs people but in the yards of their lots that say "No Dogs" or a circle with the line through it over a dog peeing. Dogs can't read and they just walk along and lift a leg before you can stop them. I'm a lot owner so I know how much work goes into a lot. Bottom line is if everyone is courteous and tries to be responsible there is no reason for this nonsense. We have two of them little PIA and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #97

We spent the holiday and then some at Prince Gallitzin SP, Pa. 70's and low 80's-perfect camping weather unlike two weeks ago at Edisto Beach SP, SC where it was 100 plus and low 88 at night. Would not have wanted to be in a tent. AC-priceless!!
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Yahoo!!! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Buena Vista is HIGH (pun intended) on my list for next year. I may just run thru there to check out the long term CG's (for next year) on my way back to Yuma, AZ for the winter.

I used to live (sticks-and-bricks home) near Westcliffe, CO, so I'm a real Colorado aficionado. Since you used the term "14'ers" I assume you are from Colorado; or are quite familiar with it??

So, will you be going over Independence pass; should still be quite a bit of snow up there (around 12K feet IIRC)?

If you could give me some feedback on any parks you stay at in that area, it would be MOST appreciated.

Boowho??
NO on Independence Pass. I believe that's closed to anything over 35'. From I-70 you can take 24 or 91 to Leadville. 91 looks like a smaller road but it's got fewer twists and turns than 24. When I searched last year the consensus was that it was more RV friendly. We went up 24 from Colorado Springs, then went from Buena Vista to Breckenridge via Leadville and then 91 (Fremont Pass), then when we left there for Denver we went through the Eisenhower Tunnel pass. All of this pulling the 4 door Wrangler.

We stayed at Snowy Peaks in BV, and Mt. Princeton RV park right there as well. A lot of active people happy to beat the summer heat; it seemed like a lot of them went on Jeep excursions together and generally had a good time. Music around the campfire on Saturday nights and other activities. Both sit on the outskirts of BV. Don't miss Pizza Works in town. I've seen mention of RV parks in Leadville as well but haven't researched. Nathrop down the road has an "old school" hot springs pool and bath house right on the Arkansas river, but we wound up across the road at the hot spring-fed swimming pools with 400' slide. Kids went non-stop for 2 hrs while we lounged in 85 degree water 400 Foot water slide in Colorado at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort . I like BV a lot. It's high, but fairly flat with some ranch land. It's more small town and less tourist-trap than the ski resort towns, although we do both to keep all the travelers happy.

Here's a handy guide to the CO passes. I found good info on most of the CO roads and passes on <coughing> irv2 <coughing> .com.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/maximum...in-passes.html

We'll make a similar quick lap this summer.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
NO on Independence Pass.

We stayed at Snowy Peaks in BV, and Mt. Princeton RV park right there as well. A lot of active people happy to beat the summer heat; it seemed like a lot of them went on Jeep excursions together and generally had a good time. Music around the campfire on Saturday nights and other activities.
Gottawonder
I would be coming up from the South thru Salida/Poncha Springs.

Between Snowy Peaks and Mt. Princeton, do you have a preference??

Boowho??
Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #100

Mike T re Story creeks: yep! I've seen guys with 30+ " rainbow just in the CG. There is a fish hatchery up the road that's very interesting, too.
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote