Old 04-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Have a couple of Berkshire questions before doing a deal

Have my sights set on a new old stock 2018 Berkshire XL. While not new to owning motorhomes, it has been a few years since out last DP.

I guess I could sum most of my questions up as one big question, Would you do it again knowing now what you have dealt with in owning yours.

Are the two roof airs sufficient to keep a 41' coach cool in Texas heat?

Thanks
I appreciate any and all that you care to share.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

Love my XL for two trips around US. Will two AC units work? In July heat of 115 degs. Maybe 82 inside. I was in Vegas last July... AC units are designed for 15 deg delta T. So, if you shut off your unit at night. It will be hard to recover in time. The nice thing with the ceramic file, use a fan to take the cooler temps from the floor and it really helps cool area.
Mocha Magic

Mocha Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Dragonship Captain

Disclosure... I am a tool guy. I fix things, I maintain things. House and chassis. I do not go to repair shops or dealers other than warrantee (and then they frequently just send me the parts on their nickel) or if it's MAJOR chassis and I can't handle it. (Computers required, major engine work) So far so good.

That said, yes I would do it again. Stuff always breaks and the chassis is maintenance needy, but that goes for every brand. I consider myself lucky in that I haven't had any calamities I couldn't handle. Haven't been towed, haven't had to miss any use.

Not that I haven't heard of any, but that goes for ANY brand. As a whole the industry is severely lacking in QC and after-purchase care.

But, we like our unit, the layout, the decor and the general ease of use.

So again, yes, we'd do it again.

As far as your Texas heat with two AC's..... there's reflective cushions to stick in the hatches, and get a Magneshade for the green house up front and like said above... don't turn them off.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

I appreciate the feed back thus far. Nice looking set up you have there Oscarvan. I plan to stop in and do some reading on your Blog.

Our last motorhome was a National Pacifica which had basement AC that just couldn't come close to beating the Texas temps. I had an additional ,13,500 unit installed in the air vent in the kitchen. Had the cord run into the basement where on the road I could plug it into the basement vac plug or if parked plug the cord into the park 20amp outlet. Finally got it to the point of a temp where you could hang meat from the ceiling and keep it fresh if need be....LOL.

The coach we are looking at has the 10K generator so I guess I could more or less do the same thing if needed.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 04-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #5

I'm in North Texas and my previous 36' gasser had two 13.5 A/C's and could not keep up with the Texas summer heat. My 39' Berk has two 15.0 A/C's and does just fine in N. Texas and even in Houston while driving and when camped. As mentioned, you want to cover the windshield when not camped in the shade.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

We have an older Berkshire, she’s an 11. We had gone the tt , 5 th then found her 2 years ago. We’ve put way more miles on her in these past years then we ever did the other two. Plus a girl from Omaha owing a Berkshire makes me happy. She’s a gorgeous coach
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #7

Came from a 36' 5th wheel, now a 2012 390BH, I bought it used- I enjoy traveling SOOO much in the MH- I feel as soon as I pull out of the drive way I'm on vacation. My plan was to buy at retirement and travel- at 56 i have a long way to retirement- but use it when I can.

My 2 ac units do ok- when in the 90"s in the sun they do not shut off but inside is ok-

For me the expense of the rv is worth it for the enjoyment I get out of it.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Well, it's a done deal. Pick it up next week.

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

This the one in Tyler? If so you got a heck of a deal.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
This the one in Tyler? If so you got a heck of a deal.
Yes, it is the one in Tyler, well actually the dealership is in Mineola, TX. They said that they call it the Tyler location because Tyler is a know location. Were as not a whole bunch of folks have ever heard of Mineola.

Thank you,

Tags
berkshire