Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Haven't even had maiden voyage and problems.2016 berkshire 40bh

Hello all, I've read alot of posts but now its my turn help. Kwickee steps. 1st voyage. Worked fine all winter. Now they won't extend. Fuse by driver panel 25 amp is good. No fuse under bed. Switch by steps has power and works with test light. Light under stairs works and open and close dr turns on and off. Has power on 2 wires from main connector. No power to motor. Tried the batt charger to motor no anything. Disconnected motor from steps free moving. So power to control module, power to light, door magnets turn light onoff. Am I missing something or do I go back to dealer.
chesterberkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #2

Magnetic door switch?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #3

Thanks but...

That's what I was thinking but as I open and close door the light under the steps responds it goes on and off as i operate the door.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #4

Sorry, I missed that in your post. You done a lot of testing. Sounds like the motor might be bad. Maybe a call to kwikee will help.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

Sometimes another brain helps.

Thanks. Yes it seems I'm at the point to take motor off and bench test , also controller after that. Trying to avoid a dealer trip.thankyou though.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterberkshire View Post
Hello all, I've read alot of posts but now its my turn help. Kwickee steps. 1st voyage. Worked fine all winter. Now they won't extend. Fuse by driver panel 25 amp is good. No fuse under bed. Switch by steps has power and works with test light. Light under stairs works and open and close dr turns on and off. Has power on 2 wires from main connector. No power to motor. Tried the batt charger to motor no anything. Disconnected motor from steps free moving. So power to control module, power to light, door magnets turn light onoff. Am I missing something or do I go back to dealer.
My coach did this once when new and then healed its self. Prior to the healing I did the following

1) disconnected the steps to test the lines (may have reset the controller)

2) Started the coach (this activates a step retract signal (may have been a problem with that)

In any event after half of a day and giving up I put all back together and everything worked. I think it was starting the coach that did it. I think the step retract line when coach is running got confused.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #7

At the 4 way connector chassis side verify (with ignition off) there is 0 volts from the yellow wire pin to chassis ground. This is the ignition override input and if there is 12 volts doing this check it will keep the steps retracted. The door switch should still allow the steps to extend if there is 12 volts but maybe there is a dual issue. Sounds like the control module is bad. The motor 2 way connector can be disconnected from the control module and 12 volts applied to the red wire and ground to the yellow wire and the motor should operate in one direction and reversing the hook up should make the motor operate in the opposite direction.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

I'll try the disconnect and restart , but my thinking is control Module as well. Broken is easy diagnosing is hell.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
My coach did this once when new and then healed its self. Prior to the healing I did the following

1) disconnected the steps to test the lines (may have reset the controller)

2) Started the coach (this activates a step retract signal (may have been a problem with that)

In any event after half of a day and giving up I put all back together and everything worked. I think it was starting the coach that did it. I think the step retract line when coach is running got confused.
Why do I waist my time?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

I have ZERO comments about Berkshire steps.... ZERO !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I have ZERO comments about Berkshire steps.... ZERO !!!

By the way are your steps working yet? Maybe the thinner air in Colorado let them work better. Have you thought of that?

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #12

Russell....

My steps have always worked - just whenever they want to which is anytime at all....

Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #13

Lol. Curb catchers.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #14

Bike rider clipper...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

If you're outside warranty, you can order all the Kwikee step parts on Amazon and get them really fast. Sounds like it's likely the control module. I know it sounds crazy, but try giving the motor a pretty good rap with a hammer. That often makes it start working for a while, believe it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

[QUOTE=conceptumator;1134957] . I know it sounds crazy, but try giving the motor a pretty good rap with a hammer. That often makes it start working for a while, believe it or not.

Conceptumator..."good rap with a hammer"...lol AKA " a motivational force" Have applied this principal many times in my troubleshooting technique

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #17

Returning a defective motorhome back to the dealership. Lemon Law for all states.
I see in the forms everyone want to fix. If it is new it should be fix by the company.
All feed backs welcome.
Ride_with_me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #18

Back in action

Thanks 4 all the help. I did remove the.motor and did a bench test worked fine. After all said and done reconnected. All seems fine forever.....I hope. Thanks all again.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks 4 all the help. I did remove the.motor and did a bench test worked fine. After all said and done reconnected. All seems fine forever.....I hope. Thanks all again.
Murphy's Law: it will work perfect when tested.....
Old 03-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
If you read my post above I tried to tell you that. I think the controller just gets confused and needs to be disconnected.

Tags
berkshire, vent