Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Heading South

We are leaving for Flordia mid-February.
  1. I want to de-winterize prior to leaving. Plan to turn on heat and keep a 55 three days prior to leaving, drain and flush all lines, turn on hot water heaer, ice maker. Want to be sure everything is working. Also will carry about 1/2 tank of fresh water.
  2. Also will take a short ride to be sure all systems are working, top off full and DEF tank.
Any other suggestions or comments for de-winterizing??

JEM - Beesleys Point, NJ
2011 Birkshire 390BH

JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
no suggestions from here but i do want to keep an eye on this thread to help me prpare as well .we will leave for fl 1st weekend in feb foe a 4-5 week stay
safe travels

liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
I know nothing about winterizing / de-winterizing...............I live in central Florida ! lol

Where are you heading ?? This area is pretty full at that time with Race weeks (February) followed up by Bikeweek (March). Not to mention the Snow birds who spend the winters here.

Good travels !!
2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost, Screw, H/D, 3.73
1930 lbs CCC
2010 Flagstaff 26 RLSS (Sold 05/16)
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
This is my 6th year, leaving Ottawa Ont and driving 1500 miles to Florida. I presently have a 33ft Flagstaff with front kitchen. I made Lebanon PA and stayed in a Days Inn, then got to Camp Pedro on the NC/SC border. I de-winterized there. The lines were slightly restricted by slush but quickly cleared. I don't carry potable water, why carry all that weight? We use the washroom and add plumber's antifreeze after use. Lines can freeze in hours at the right temperature. Going back in early April, I blow the lines free of water after the first night.
rp2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
We bought a slightly used class C - was supposed to be winterized. The day before we left for Florida last week, I de-winterized. Was surprised to find a fitting on the water pump had cracked and leaked - no time to get another part. Went a couple of nights using only city water, then found a part and replaced. Now have some water in the tank for road use. Learning: check things out way before you leave and don't count on someone else to do something right. Finally warm in southern Florida, leaving behind bitter cold. I'll probably have to winterize when returning late Feb.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
We are leaving for Florida in a few days. Just recently had an ice and snow storm that left several inches of accumulation on the roof. Looking for suggestions as to how I can remove it without doing damage to the roof.
blackttr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
I think I'd let nature take its course.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
We are heading to Florida the first week in March. Anyone know of a decent campground in the Macon area, close to I75, where we can spend the night on the way down?
preacherpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
In PA it's against the law to drive with snow on your roof. Don't think it would melt off until we are well south.
blackttr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
I use a roof snow rake works great i bought the light duty one from HD for about $20.00

2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4WD w/trailer pkg
345HP 5.7 Hemi/8spd Auto/3.73 Rear
2010 Roo 23SS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote